Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2022, 07:41 PM   #1

Anyone found a decent wireless camera for backing your rig?

I have really needed something like for a long time and hoping you guys have found the good stuff? I really just want 1-2 cameras that are temporary mount as I'd like to use on different things when needed.
fastline is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2022, 09:14 PM   #2

I gave up on wireless cameras I could move between vehicles. Magnetic mount doesn't work on fiberglass RV's unless the owner is willing to attach a steel plate on the rear cap, and then the problem of wiring that didn't look temporary arose.
So, I just bought a Voyager wireless camera and monitor and wired them in.
I repurposed the existing, obsolete Sony shielded cable to supply power and ground for the "wireless" camera. The Voyager monitor just plugs into the cigar lighter socket.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:54 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Even though they may be wireless, you typically have to mount the better ones and supply power to the camera. I bought both of my sons-in-law the Tadi Brothers wireless cameras. I tried to convince them to get wired models, but they wanted wireless. They work okay but drop out often.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:47 AM   #4

My wife got me a Visionworks wireless camera for my birthday a little over a year and a half ago. Had the original camera which couldn't hardly make out any images with it any more. The Visionworks was a little pricey I thought but it has been great, have it wired so that it comes on when I turn on the ignition. not only does great for backing but just driving keeping check on toad and passing traffic.
Ben-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastline View Post
I have really needed something like for a long time and hoping you guys have found the good stuff? I really just want 1-2 cameras that are temporary mount as I'd like to use on different things when needed.
We use these at home and they work great. We've had these for a few years now and they can be mounted with screws, the magnetic base, or just set on a shelf. We use them outside and they've been rained on and the raccoons play with them. They are rechargeable and the charge lasts for months. The range is excellent.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:54 AM   #6
US1

If you have a GoPro, clamp it to your ladder and view it thru your phone/ipad. You'll have a way better pic than any backup camera out there today. Use it , unclamp it and use it for other uses. Just a thought as many of us that thought a GoPro was cool gadget to have at 1 time, now store them in drawers with all the other cool things we had to have and never use.
US1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 11:39 AM   #7

There is a difference between backup cameras and observation cameras.
Backup up cameras have a limited range, whereas observation cameras can be used while traveling. My trailer came with a Furrion backup camera. It worked good for backing up, but kept losing signal while driving. Furrion replaced the camera with the observation type. I did pay the difference, but now can drive and see everything behind me without losing signal.
The problem with my Furrion is the screen is not as sharp as some other brands.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 12:02 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I gave up on wireless cameras I could move between vehicles. Magnetic mount doesn't work on fiberglass RV's unless the owner is willing to attach a steel plate on the rear cap, and then the problem of wiring that didn't look temporary arose.
So, I just bought a Voyager wireless camera and monitor and wired them in.
I repurposed the existing, obsolete Sony shielded cable to supply power and ground for the "wireless" camera. The Voyager monitor just plugs into the cigar lighter socket.
Did the same thing on our coach. Very pleased with the wide angle view with the Voyager wireless camera. Good resolution until the camera lens gets dirty in wet weather, but they all have that issue.
On my Silverado I upgraded the stereo with a double din Pioneer dvd unit with tailgate camera. I can back up to the boat trailer perfectly every time. Wife can now back in park the truck and boat trailer with ease. All in with new dash bezel for about $400 bucks thru Crutchfield. Don’t know why I waited so long….
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 12:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would never depend on a camera for backing. You never get a full and true picture, especially of overhead obstructions. You still need to get out and look.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:19 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Solar powered backup camera

I purchased a solar powered backup camera that works well. The camera has a battery that is charged by a small solar panel that mounts on the roof with double sided tape. I bought this because I didn't want to have to tap into a power source and add another hole in the roof or clearance light, etc. I leave it on all the time while travelling and it has never run out of power.

The only issue I have had is mounting the monitor. The dash mount they supply does not work well with the Ford E450, so I have had to jury rig a windshield mount. Ideally, I would find a way to attach it to the windshield in place of the useless rearview mirror, but I haven't found a suitable mount to do that.

The unit is a Auto-Vox Solar4 available at Amazon
Old 12-27-2022, 03:07 PM   #11

I went through the same exercise a year ago and per my daughter and her experience we purchased the Dohonest Model S21 available from Amazon. I paid about $150 w/tax and shipping and I'm very pleased so far. I had to weigh cost vs benefit and also leaned toward a wired model but crawling around under our RV to wire it pushed me to the wireless. No issues at all connecting and picture is clear and bright. Also night vision was very helpful when we got lost in the Fallbrook foothills one night and helps parking no question.

Also has record feature if you install a SD card. I opted to mount display on the rear view mirror (which is all but useless on our class c) and very natural to glance during drive time. Came with everything I needed to wire for power at both ends. I opted to use the 12v camera supply from a marker light and display to same circuit so both come on with headlight switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220408_155613.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	722.9 KB
ID:	383385   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220404_130248(04-06-11-39-15).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	726.1 KB
ID:	383386  

Redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 03:15 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I would never depend on a camera for backing. You never get a full and true picture, especially of overhead obstructions. You still need to get out and look.

Ken
You don't rely SOLELY on your backup camera but it is a good tool to use as an aide to awareness, where to stop,etc. I use all my tools: my mirrors, my backup camera, and GOAL (get out and look).
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:24 PM   #13

I agree. As the camera provides a nice wide angle I still have a blind spot of a few feet and that is where the DW is employed. The more views and eyes the better.
Redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 09:23 AM   #14

I found this system "4Ucam" at Amazon. Very easy install, you can use up to 4 cameras. I only have one camera hooked up and have never had a problem with the wifi connection. The picture is good and very useful when backing up. I have it on even when on the road, it helps me see what is riding my bumper. The camera does have to be hard wired to a 12V line. (running light). I am very happy with this setup and the price was reasonable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gene
Gene Morris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera