Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
mdo

Anyone go from a Class C to a Travel Trailer and Happy?

Just when I thought we had narrowed our choices to a Class C, my wife says she wants to look a 18-22' travel trailers with a slide out. She wants new..... This would be something my 2010 F-150 could pull and save us about $30,000... We plan to use our RV at a nearby lake at least 6 times a year, NE Georgia camping and 1-2 GA to FL trips a year...1000 miles round trip...

I figure a new small travel trailer could be had for 12-16K vs. 52K for the new Winnebago 22' Class C...big savings! Here thinking is this would save us $$ and not have to have a toad..... My thinking is she could share the driving in a Class C but I doubt she would ever drive while towing......

Any one here trade from a Class C to a travel trailer and happy about it?
mdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #2

A travel trailer that size would be perfect for that amount of camping and just two people. It's cheaper all around and you will also have the truck to get around. We had a 24 footer Coachman and loved it. You couldn't even tell it was back there with our Ram 1500. Only sold it because it became too small once we got our new baby. It was a bit tight for four of us and a big dog.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #3

Class C to Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo View Post
Just when I thought we had narrowed our choices to a Class C, my wife says she wants to look a 18-22' travel trailers with a slide out. She wants new..... This would be something my 2010 F-150 could pull and save us about $30,000... We plan to use our RV at a nearby lake at least 6 times a year, NE Georgia camping and 1-2 GA to FL trips a year...1000 miles round trip...

I figure a new small travel trailer could be had for 12-16K vs. 52K for the new Winnebago 22' Class C...big savings! Here thinking is this would save us $$ and not have to have a toad..... My thinking is she could share the driving in a Class C but I doubt she would ever drive while towing......

Any one here trade from a Class C to a travel trailer and happy about it?
Yes we always thought a Motorhome was the way to go but insurance and up keep was to much. We owned a 25ft Airstream but then discovered Bigfoot Travel Trailers. Less up keep cheaper insurance we are having more fun with less. Our Bigfoot is a 21ft year 2001.
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0030.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	63840  
H-Rambler25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe your wife is correct in thinking TT vs Class C for the amount of travel you want to do...and you already have a truck! Only thing that I would encourage your wife to do, is learn how to drive the truck with the TT. We started with a 27' TT, my DH had back surgery after we purchased it and during his recovery, we took the TT locally and I did all the driving, setting up, etc etc. I loved it and have no problems getting into any RV now and confidently driving it. We now own a Class C with a tow vehicle and we still take turns driving on all our trips. Encourage her to at least give it the ol college try...never know when it will come in handy. I learned to drive our TT spending several hours in a parking lot at a local Post Office (BIG parking lot) when it was closed.
Safe travels to you both...enjoy the journey.
Andi
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:17 AM   #5

I would consider a half ton towable fifth wheel. Most 5ers require a 3/4 or a ton truck but there are a few with all aluminum construction that will tow with a half ton truck. I think you get the most room for your buck with a fifth wheel when compared to TT, class C and Class A's and a fifth wheel definitely tows better than a comparable length travel trailer.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #6

http://www.livinlite.com/images/_pro...-floorplan.jpg
A guy I know, just went from a class A to one of these and loves it. I was very impressed with these TT.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
mdo

My 2010 F-150 STX 2WD has a towing capacity of 5400 lb.... It is already equipped with hitch and electric brake controller. I believe this will limit us to a TT with about a 3700 lb max weight (dry) but will get us back into RV'ing without costing big $$$.... If we enjoy it as much as I think we will, I'll sell the TT after 2 years and take the plunge for a new Class C.. I think if I can get a great deal on a new 20-22' TT, I can afford to pay for it in 2-3 years and recover at least 50-70% of purchase price if we choose to sell or trade it on a Class C.....
Old 05-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #8

If you always want to have the truck then the trailer makes sense. Many of us do not want the truck other than to tow the trailer so going to a C gets the combo and lets us tow the small car we drive most of the time by choice. As you have the truck the trailer is a fine choice.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #9

We went from owning a 27' Class C to a Travel Trailer. I am so much happier and so is the wife. We found the Class C nice to be able to get in and drive, with all that room and driving comfort it was great. But once set up to camp that is it! We weren't able to go anywhere else at the camp ground or area without packing up the camp. The Class C was very crowded as well, we have 2 dogs and it was just too small. We had an older one, no slides.

The travel trailer we picked up is a perfect size. We are at the upper limits of where some of the state parks will maybe turn us away, but it has 3 slides, all the amenities we were wanting, and once set up very comfortable. Even more important is that once we are at the camp, I can take the truck with my Kayak and go hit the water. Or if we want to see the local sites we can drive around a bit and camp is there when we get back. We considered a large 5th wheel and found that a majority of the places we wanted to go wouldn't allow that size, or that it was just way too big for our needs.
mfsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
We went from a 37 foot MH to a 26 foot TT. It is much better. Easier to maneuver in traffic and your tow vehicle is your local vehicle. Our only regret is that our TT does not have a slide, but it completely fits our needs. Also the insurance on the TT is much less than the MH. We bought an Equalizer WD hitch which has performed very well. Almost no sway in 25 mph crosswinds.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Forgot to add that my wife would not drive the MH but does drive our pickup when we are towing the TT. She won't drive in cities, but will drive on the interstates.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #12

I went from a 28' MH to a 20' (box length) TT and won't go back. Perfect size for us (2) and about 5500 lbs all up weight. I have an 06 F-150 with tow package (9800 lbs) w/ 5.4 V8. Does great for towing it.
Try it, you'll like it!
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I agree with others who have said that the TT is a great idea. It's all about what you plan on doing. We actually went the other way, but that is because we travel a lot at night with kids and it was a pain to move them to the TT when we stopped. But for camping nearby with only a couple of longish trips each year with no kids the TT would have suited us just fine, and saved us a lot of $$!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #14
mdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
I agree with others who have said that the TT is a great idea. It's all about what you plan on doing. We actually went the other way, but that is because we travel a lot at night with kids and it was a pain to move them to the TT when we stopped. But for camping nearby with only a couple of longish trips each year with no kids the TT would have suited us just fine, and saved us a lot of $$!
Thought we would go for the TT but the towing capacity of our F-150 limits our choices.... We have a perfectly good truck but not enough towing capability for where my wife wants to travel..... she agreed to visit the dealer and test drive a small MH with the Ford V-10....

Tags
class c, travel, travel trailer