Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think you missed how all electric coaches work. They have no propane, but instead use diesel fuel from the main tank to heat water and the coach . . .
Ah, thanks. And they call that "all electric"?

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 09:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
With solar panels and some good batteries (preferably lithium) I think a no propane RV is a reasonable solution. Induction cook top or combination micro wave convection oven can run on an inverter.

Hot water would probably require shore power or at least a generator. Maybe a "buddy heater" to knock the chill off in the AM.

Not as crazy as it sounds !
I'm pretty sure this is not what you meant by an "RV", but it can be used for drycamping for days/weeks at a time with no propane on board :
https://earthroamer.com/new-lti/explore/
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:05 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Of all the things in my coach that I deal with, propane is the least of my worries. Easy to come by, bottle lasts a long time, quite efficient in what it does. I just don’t understand why folks go to extremes not to have it. You have to add diesel or gas on a regular basis, dump tanks, fill water - why is propane so different? We generally fill our tank two times a year, and we dry camp in shoulder seasons a lot.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Although mine is not all electric, I use less then 5 gallons per year. Only used for furnace when it's below freezing.

No cooking ?
Old 08-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboondork. View Post
I think heating would be the biggest problem, even your Buddy Heater requires some propane.
They now make DOT approved refillable 1lb tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboondork. View Post
Heating electrically requires a lot of amps.
True, but if you have a residential mini-split heat pump you can get a lot more heat for less power than a resistance heater.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Of all the things in my coach that I deal with, propane is the least of my worries. Easy to come by, bottle lasts a long time, quite efficient in what it does. I just don’t understand why folks go to extremes not to have it. You have to add diesel or gas on a regular basis, dump tanks, fill water - why is propane so different?
Probably not an issue on a large coach, but if I had Aqua Hot heating that ran off diesel, why bother.

With lithium batteries and solar, I see no propane becoming viable for smaller TT (<24') and TC. Yes, a small portable generator become a necessity.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Of all the things in my coach that I deal with, propane is the least of my worries. Easy to come by, bottle lasts a long time, quite efficient in what it does. I just don’t understand why folks go to extremes not to have it. You have to add diesel or gas on a regular basis, dump tanks, fill water - why is propane so different? We generally fill our tank two times a year, and we dry camp in shoulder seasons a lot.
When we went from propane to hydronic, I didn't initially see the big advantage, now, like a residential refer, I wouldn't be without it. Yes you can get your propane tank refilled, but if it's really cold, you're going to run through that tank fast. The DP's carry between 100 -150 gallons of diesel fuel. The hydronic heating is very efficient and the 100 gallons of diesel will outlast your propane tank, 3 to 1.

Now most likely, no one is going to use that much fuel, but hydronic also gives you unlimited hot water, a nice feature when you're discussing a large DP with a dishwasher and washing machine. Propane can't keep up with those appliances. I love taking a hot shower with unlimited hot water....and my wife can jump in when I'm done and also have unlimited hot water.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post

No cooking ?
Not me. I just recently learned how to make toast and I can boil water in the microwave.

My wife uses an electric cooktop and convection oven a bunch.

Tags
propane