Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2005, 07:32 AM   #1

I want to put a "flash" capability in my running light circuit to flash the trailer running lights after someone signals that it is OK to move over a lane. Does someone have the circuit design using a momentary switch that will flash the lights off when they are on? Seems like a normally closed/momentary open switch is the way to go but all I find is a normally open/momentary closed switch.

On Edit: I found a post by Joe-K describing how to do a motorhome. http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/7...216077164#6216077164

hopefully I can make this work on a 2002 F350 truck. Joe-K can you comment on the type of rocker switch you used.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2005, 07:32 AM   #2

I want to put a "flash" capability in my running light circuit to flash the trailer running lights after someone signals that it is OK to move over a lane. Does someone have the circuit design using a momentary switch that will flash the lights off when they are on? Seems like a normally closed/momentary open switch is the way to go but all I find is a normally open/momentary closed switch.

On Edit: I found a post by Joe-K describing how to do a motorhome. http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/7...216077164#6216077164

hopefully I can make this work on a 2002 F350 truck. Joe-K can you comment on the type of rocker switch you used.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I can't help solve your problem but this ICC switch raises some questions.

I have observed that when trucks pass me and I flash my lights to indicate it's safe to return to lane, they just put their four-way flashers on for a few cycles after they complete the lane change. I do the same after I return to lane after a truck has flashed me (since I don't have an ICC switch). Is this procedure wrong? Do trucks flash differently (four-way flashers) for a non-commercial (i.e. RV) vehicle as opposed to a commercial vehicle (ICC Flashers)?
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The ICC switch can be used to flash the marker lights after passing and someone has alerted you it is safe to return to your lane. Flashing the lights is a way of saying thank-you. Flashing the four-way flashers also serves the same purpose and sometimes shows up better during bright sunlight. In evening or nighttime I usually use the ICC and sometimes use the four-ways during the day.

I installed an ICC switch switch in our motorhome and also used the same switch to flash the headlights since we did not have the "flash to pass" feature on the turn signal stalk like most automobiles.

When I push the momentary switch forward, it flashes the headlights off, if they were on, and on if they were off. Pushing the switch to the rear flashes the marker lights off if they were on, and on if they were off. In other words, the switch always turns the lights to the opposite state of what they were. Having the switch work this way means I push the same button whether day or night (if my lights were already on or off)

In the origonal thread,ICC Switch Installation I used a toggle switch, but decided I wanted to use a rocker like the factory switches. I edited the origonal post to add in photo's of the new switch so you could see the design and the information would stay in one thread, but the switch is a brand called Contura. If you can't find one locally, you can order them online, just be sure to order both the switch mechanism, and the cap of your choice.

Two Bit,
You shouldn't have any problem putting the circuit into your truck as long as you can get to the marker light wire coming from your dash switch. Splicing the relay into that wiring per the schematic in the diagram will get you the feature you are looking for. If you don't want the headlight portion, you can omit the headlight relay and use a single pole momentary switch.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:17 AM   #5

Joe-K,
I have also learned from posting on the dieselstop that if I have automatic headlights (which I do) it will not work if I have my switch in the autolight mode. Someone there posted a schematic almost identical to yours but advised it would only work if I have the automode turned off. I may go ahead and do the relays or may just put a momentary off switch in the line that feeds only the trailer running lights. That thread is here....
http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php...ed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

if anyone is interested, there is another interesting post on how to make your dually fender marker lights function as turn signals and brake lights here....
http://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/getitems.php3?Dua...20Light%20Conversion
Old 06-15-2005, 05:04 AM   #6

Two-Bit,
Do you think the fender marker light modification would work on a Class A MH?? Seems like it would be fairly streight forward. Always liked having the side marks work with the turn signals.
TwoOfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:19 AM   #7

I think as long as you could gain access to seperate the power feed to those lights from the rest of the running light circuit it would work fine. I haven't done the modification yet, but have put it on my "do it someday" list.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:13 AM   #8

Two Bit, thanks for the info on the fender lamps. I've wondered how one can do that!Seems to me it might make a TV a little more noticeable in traffic.

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 10:57 AM   #9

On my Winne gasser MH, if I use the 4 way flasher, the cruise automatically disengages...I am going to try the ICC switch route.