Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 07:36 AM   #1

Anyone know what this outlet is for?

Hello all,
I am the new owner of a 1992 Chieftain and spending time going over it checking things out and learning.
In the door at the back where the shoreline cable is there are two outlets. One three prong from the Generator power and a second standard 110 V 15/20 amp. I have determined that this second outlet does come directly off the generator. It does not have any voltage on it when the unit is plugged in to shore power.
I cannot determine what in the coach does not have power when plugged into shore power VS generator running????
The power cord comes into the back of the coach, it is romex and disappears into the wall heading to wards the front with the other wires. ????
I will try and add a picture.
thanks for any help you can provide
Attached Images

xcsxlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

It sounds like you have a "Manual transfer switch". You plug your shore power cord into either the shore or the generator outlet. If that is the case the interior sockets would be powered the same whether you are on generator or shore power. The second outlet sounds like a convenient way to tap off the generator output if one is working around the MH and needs to run lights or a power tool.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:53 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There should be no difference in which interior plugs are energized whether getting power from generator or shore. They should ALL be energized.

If there is an outlet in your power bay that isn't energized on shore power but is on generator power, then it's for those times when you need outside power but don't have any shore power source.

Congratulations on your "new" RV. ENJOY! 🚌

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #4

thanks for the reply. I have added a picture.
This cord is plugged into the socket and goes into t motorhome and towards the front of the coach. No Idea what it powers?
there is nothing in the owners manual about this second outlet inside the back door. Only outlet that the shore cable should plug into when running the generator???
Old 06-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #5

Unplug it and see what goes dark.

Check 12 volt power too in case it is converter.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #6

I'd look around up front and see if it is a block heater or charger for the chassis battery or something else like that.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I'd look around up front and see if it is a block heater or charger for the chassis battery or something else like that.
God thought. I can find nothing in the coach that does not have power when the generator is running and this not plugged in.
As I stated it only has 120 volts on it when the generator is running, was hoping it was standard equipment on the early 90's Chieftain's and someone would know what it is. Must have been added on later ???
Old 06-13-2015, 06:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I have an outlet in that location but it powers the engine block heater on my rear diesel. Since I rarely need that, I sometimes unplug the block heater and use it for something else, e.g.outdoor lighting. Since the power cord plugged to yours runs towards the front, I would guess something related to the engine as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #9

Looks to me like it was added because it doesn't match the others in the picture. Maybe something so both airs will run at the same time just a guess.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:41 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Maybee a block heater for the engine !
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:44 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Looks to me like it was added because it doesn't match the others in the picture. Maybe something so both airs will run at the same time just a guess.
I doute that he would have 2 A.C. !
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
I doute that he would have 2 A.C. !
As I stated just a guess it's something not factory. Oh and by the way I google 1992 chieftain the picture showed (2) airs.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can think of one logical reason to have a common 15 or 15/20 amp outlet that is powered ONLY by the generator....

I have had it happen when I was enroute from A to B and the blasted beeper started beeping.. Said beeper was the TPMS low pressure alarm.

Left Front on towed

That is the "SERVICE" side of the RV (where this outlet is)

I fired up ONAN and plugged my compressor into an outlet I happen to have on my service side and added air.. Got to where I was going.

When I have shore power.. The campground has an outlet on that side I can use for the Blow hard (Compressor).

I might add,, Over the weekend and up to Monday AM I kept adding air.. Monday I blew it up one last time and drove to tire store...

At the tire store they told me I'd been screwed,, So they removed the screw,, patched and re-mounted and balanced the tire.. Total cost (road hazard warranty in effect) not counting gas and electric for the Genny/comprssor $0.00

Another RVer bought the same TPMS but had not yet installed it.

Total cost NOT counting the new tire AND rim was over 2,000 in body damage.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
As I stated just a guess it's something not factory. Oh and by the way I google 1992 chieftain the picture showed (2) airs.
That is a possibility? I did find the wiring diagrams for the coach on this forum yesterday. Wow. Really helpful. Also a little confusing.

There is a wire leading direct from the generator to the front/rear AC switch.(can only run one at a time.) I don't see a breaker in the diagram. And also a wire from the Gen to the control center 20 amp AC breaker toe the Switch. ???? this looks like very odd wiring to me. Will have too do some testing today and see if the AC will run witht eh breaker tripped in the control center.
May be someone put the outlet in place for the direct wire from Gen to AC switch, for a 120 AC outlet for general use. Odd there is not an outlet anywhere on the outside of this coach?