Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #1

Anyone own their own rv spot

I am thinking about buying my own spot. It is on the beach and is a place that I would continue to go back to. The rental while I am not there is nice but not necessary. I am just wondering if anyone else has done this. What questions should I ask? What should I be afraid of? Any advice would be great.
Pellerotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Community Moderator

i have been looking for the same, still searching. if i can find a spot around 50k, i'd be jumping on it in a heart beat.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Pellerotto,
I own three sites. Some of the due diligence questions are:
1. Is there an HOA? What are the lot owner costs? What do the costs purchase.
2. What are the taxes?
3. Who owns what?
3a. Common areas
3b. Clubhouse
3c. Pool(s)
3d. Security gate(s)
4. Other fees?
4a. Pool fee
5. Details of the rental program (most are rip offs)
5a. $ split between owner/rental agent
5b. advertising fee?
5c. any other costs?
6. Any open lawsuits?
7. Talk to an officer of the HOA
8. Copy of last year's budget. Is the HOA saving for large maintenance expenses? (roads, pools, clubhouse painting, etc.) One does not want to buy into a resort and get hit with a "special assessment".
9. Look at the roads. Is the blacktop black or kind of chalk off white? If off white it has not been maintained. Big bucks.
10. Talk to other owners.
11. Rent for a couple of months at the time of year you will be there. Is the resort well occupied with owners or renters? Owners are good, renters are bad.
12. Ask the wife if she like the place. If she says yes, everything I just mentioned is void. Same goes if she doesn't like it.

The price you pay is immaterial. If the area and resort are good for you, that is all that matters.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #4

We own in Apple Valley Farms in Lake Lure NC.
All of Garys concerns are valuable I would add this as well..
What restrictions are on the RV ? Length ? Age, trailers allowed, Pop Ups ? etc. Make sure the RV( or in the future) you have meets the requirements.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Add to my list (sorry, I forgot):
13. Get and read a copy of the Planned Unit Development (PUD) document. Make sure you have all the changes to the original. Push come to shove, the PUD is the official legal document that controls the resort.

An additional comment on #11 in my previous post. If you are looking for a community one needs to expect owners to be present. If you find only renters (guests) there will be no community. Guests come and go. They have their own agenda (usually things to do in the area).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #6

Perfect! Always good advice here. Thanks
Pellerotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #7

Don't own a site but have something to add based on personal experience.

If the development owns and maintains its own sewage treatment plant, be very careful. A lot of RV resorts are away from urban areas and may have their own treatment plants.

Ask to see any inspection reports from government agencies. Look for money set aside for major repairs. Like mentioned for road repairs, repairs to these plants can be expensive.

Also, environmental violations can have penalties accessed to the owner of the plant, which could be the HOA. You will get to pay a piece of that.

The HOA may sugar coat this responsibility by listing these monthly costs as part of the utilities.

Ask what type of sewage system they are connected to.

Good luck on your search. The DW and I have kicked this idea around, too. We are still working, so could use a Florida spot in the summer "off season" and rent it out for snow birds until we retire.

We go to Florida in summer from time to time. We hit Disney and then a beach place. We didn't want to commit to one place, though.

Good luck in your search.
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
we own site in Florida near our grandkids. Gary has good advice. Over and above all this rent first and take part in the social aspects. Make sure you fit and the park fits you before you put down thousands of dollars. We enjoy our site, spend the winter holidays with the family and still have our own social life. Then in the spring head back north to our home in the woods. However got a surprise this year. May 2 and it is snowing right now-----go figure.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #9

I have my on place in the country with all utilities. My only problem is keeping the grass cut. Property value will continue to go up. We have seen a decrease in value in some areas over the last few years but that is temporary.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #10

Also check out the rental rates. You may find that it is cheaper to rent especially if you just snowbird.
I was looking also and if I wanted to rent it instead of use it, the rent received would not even cover all the costs.
I also had a real hard time knowing I was paying for cable TV, electric and trash pickup etc. for the 9 months it was not being used.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
x2 GaryKD, excellent list. Look at the number/percentage of lots for sale, in foreclosure, or in default on HOA dues, assessments and/or taxes. A high percentage indicates owners are dissatisfied with the park, overextended, and trying to unload. As a fellow lot owner the rest of you will have to make up the shortage in dues and assessments caused by the deadbeat owners, depends upon the laws of the states. Good luck with your search, and tell us what you learn.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Couple friends of ours own theirs in Surprise AZ. Happy Trails Resort.
DW and I talked about it but then we would always be going there for winters and we think we may want to experience other places. So for now just renting.

We do on the other hand, rent a summer location we are very fond of, but have the freedom to move if we so choose. I suppose there are advantages to both, other than now we do not have to pay taxes on property other than tags.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #13

Hello, I have been thinking of buying a lot at one of the resorts like Bella Terra. It would be for us to use some of the time but I was hoping to be able to rent it most of the time and after several years have it pay for its self. Do you all thing this is reasonable? Are there any folks that have more of an investment type lot? Does it work?

Thanks,
superiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #14

Is there such a thing as time sharing a lot? If you are not full timing, but would like to get away for a couple of months at a time at a nice resort, it would be nice to only own 1/4 or 1/5th of the ownership obligations.

I'm doing this with RV's in the north Ga. area for working families that don't have the time or money to buy an RV individually, but can afford 1/3 or 1/4 share.
esfritzi is offline   Reply With Quote