Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
No open on mine it slides forward on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #16

My neighbor does tint for a living and I had him quote tinting my tractor cab and it was about $500. He did tell me that he can legally tint the windshield with a Dr's prescription. The reasons can vary from eye diseases such as glaucoma or even skin cancer. I am going to get him to quote the MH this fall so I would be interested in the quote you get for comparison.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Yeah, I saw that. I'll check it out before ordering. I think it must be some problem with Amazon since the folks at Gila didn't mention it.
FWIW, big box stores carry this stuff. I'd opt to buy from them in order to be able to open the box and make sure that the roll hasn't been pinched. Not enough money involved to go with one seller or another.

Spray bottle of Windex, flat surface (piece of Formica table is great because you can cut on it. Straight edge, Sharp razors, roll of masking tape and a decent squeegee.( 4 or 6") and an old beach towel

Cut the piece a slight bit over-sized. Masking tape on both corners, spray everything. start separating the backing with spray as you go. Spray window before applying. place it and squeegee from middle out to edges.

Beach towel to sop up the windex off the sill and wall. Windex as you squeegee. Use a BR window as your first one in order to gain experience.

Get the lightest shade film; especially for the front passenger door. That will make looking out the window when turning left a lot safer and easier.

If Annette is better, it goes a lot easier with two people. The artist among you does the work, and the other one is there to gopher beer.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
FWIW, big box stores carry this stuff. I'd opt to buy from them in order to be able to open the box and make sure that the roll hasn't been pinched. Not enough money involved to go with one seller or another.

Spray bottle of Windex, flat surface (piece of Formica table is great because you can cut on it. Straight edge, Sharp razors, roll of masking tape and a decent squeegee.( 4 or 6") and an old beach towel

Cut the piece a slight bit over-sized. Masking tape on both corners, spray everything. start separating the backing with spray as you go. Spray window before applying. place it and squeegee from middle out to edges.

Beach towel to sop up the windex off the sill and wall. Windex as you squeegee. Use a BR window as your first one in order to gain experience.

Get the lightest shade film; especially for the front passenger door. That will make looking out the window when turning left a lot safer and easier.

If Annette is better, it goes a lot easier with two people. The artist among you does the work, and the other one is there to gopher beer.
Don't use Windex unless you want your tint job to fall off after a few days. Use baby shampoo in a clean spray bottle. Use a lot of it and the tint will stay put forever.

Also, as said before, stay away from tints made for home windows. They are reflective and you won't be able to see out at night. Only use automotive tint.

Try to find another brand besides Gila. They have improved over the years but it has issues with the adhesive and fading. Try to find 3M or LLumar. It's not easy to find but worth the effort.

Fred
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:01 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Don't use Windex unless you want your tint job to fall off after a few days. Use baby shampoo in a clean spray bottle. Use a lot of it and the tint will stay put forever.

Also, as said before, stay away from tints made for home windows. They are reflective and you won't be able to see out at night. Only use automotive tint.

Try to find another brand besides Gila. They have improved over the years but it has issues with the adhesive and fading. Try to find 3M or LLumar. It's not easy to find but worth the effort.

Fred

Fred, the problem is that automotive tints don't have as much heat reduction as the residential. I may have to use an automotive tint on the windows beside the driver and passenger seats because of the the reflection. As for the others, we keep the shades pulled at night anyway!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #20
YC1

Ok, since you asked. No I would not do it without first testing with an infared thermometer. I can tell you the couple of times I experimented with it that the glass was much hotter to the touch.

I do have two large hall windows tinted for privacy but ultimately built a simple outside shade that holds in place with magnets. The improvement was dramatic.

We are fortunate to have pull down shades on the drivers side that come out easily and of course an electric awning on the passenger side. Of course it comes in when windy.

The most impressive improvement is the outside cover for the front windshield. I can put it on by myself and can see outside through it.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #21

iRV2 No Limits Club
Most, if not all, States have limits on how dark the windshield and front side windows can be tinted. You should check to make sure you won't exceed that. Keep in mind what is legal in one place may not be somewhere else.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Fred, the problem is that automotive tints don't have as much heat reduction as the residential. I may have to use an automotive tint on the windows beside the driver and passenger seats because of the the reflection. As for the others, we keep the shades pulled at night anyway!
And that's the very problem I ran into with my drivers and passenger windows. Block the heat and not be able to see out or see out and let some heat in. Any heat blocking is better than nothing at all. I ended up using automotive tint.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm in the process of doing mine right now. I did a quick test last weekend and plan on getting the rest done over the next couple weeks.

I bought a 100ft roll of 20%. This is enough to do the MH, the House, and a couple cars.

Window Tinting Film Supplies and Tools | Hurricane, Color and Safety Window Tint:

Its not hard to put on, I practiced on one of the MH windows last week. I only did the one window. The photos give me an idea of inside and outside. I'm happy with it, optical quality is very good.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the windshield yet. I may opt for some 70%, but I want to see sample first to make sure optical quality is good.

A car I bought for my daughter has some real junk on the windows. When I finish the MH I'm going to re-do her windows with this stuff.I seen some real junk on cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowTint1_600.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	101205   Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowTint2_600.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	101206  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowTint3_600.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	101207  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #24

I've been thinking about this so looking forward to how it goes.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Fred
Sounds like you're an expert at this, Fred, and I'm an amateur, having done our beach house (54 panes) and several odd other windows, including the MH passenger side door window.

The Windex-applied film stayed put for 10 years at the beach house. Just my observation. That said, a light coating of baby shampoo-water will work just fine, too. Anything to keep things slippery.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
The previous owner of my coach tinted the entrance door and while it greatly reduces heat, it creates a visibility problem..especially at night. The tint is not the common type used and I'm going to remove it for safety reasons.
MrBelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:51 PM   #27

Has anyone used the Static Cling type tint material? That could be an option. Put it on when parked & remove it when travelling.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
Has anyone used the Static Cling type tint material? That could be an option. Put it on when parked & remove it when travelling.

I think I read somewhere, possibly on the Gila website, that the results were not as good with the static cling tint.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
window