Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2020, 10:21 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeadows1 View Post
OK, I know I am not going to be liked for posting this, but...the family and I are (as I type these words) camping at Roper Lake State Park, in southeastern Arizona. Our biggest complaint is that the wind is a bit blustery. However, we are enjoying the 76* temperature!

So, yes, we have de-winterized our RV! [emoji16]
It hit 85 today in Phoenix area, in Surprise at the ballpark.
Did you guys feel the earthquake last night around 9 pm?
They said it was about 50 miles south of Yuma, in Mexico, but the RV was shaking here in Casa Grande for about 8-10 seconds.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Yup. Picked my rig up Saturday a week ago and went south. De-winterized & sanitized. Re-winterized when I got home. Coldest night de-winterized was 28* and the temps in the wet bay were 45* with the rear heater running on gas. Re-winterizing took 6 gallons of antifreeze and less than 30 minutes not including the dump at the last campground down south.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #17

You should know here in Michigan we have had snow in late in April like last year. I want to but going to hold off till late April before I de- winterize. Don't forget we had snow in May also.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:39 PM   #18

Did it yesterday. The temperature is supposed to stay above freezing for the next week, and the odds improve the further into March we get. (Plus, we needed to spend some time in our new-to-us coach to learn its ins and outs.)

Hoping to get out in it in a week or two.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #19

Hi all,

I am not so worried about snow, its the ice that bothers me.

My coach is setup for cold weather use with dual pane windows and heated water bay.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #20

Still several feet of snow here. Was snowmobiling all last week and ice fishing. Going to be a while yet.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:04 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
How I heat my Wet Bay.
I have a 12vdc heater installed by the factory in my wet bay, labeled System Heat, but 12vdc doesn’t produce a lot of heat, and the wet bay is about 100 cubic feet, 8.5x3x4 ish. So I added a 120vac heater setup to ensure I have heat in the wet bay that can fight off the 10*F Utah winter nights. First, I bring in a 15A 120vac via an extension cord plugged into my pedestal, not into the coach. My coach is plugged into 30 amps and it uses a lot of those amps to charge the batteries when the furnaces and System Heat start gobbling 12vdc like it’s free. The 15A 120vac extension cord comes into the wet bay thru the hole my SaniCon hose would go out. I wrap this cord with a towel such that the hole is full of rolled up towel acting as insulation. Into the extension cord in the wet bay, I plug in a 3-way grounded splitter. Into one side of the splitter I plug in a LED night light to act as a telltale of power. The night light is illuminated showing power to the splitter.
Into the top of the splitter, I plug in a Thermo Cube. The Thermo Cube passes power when temperature falls to 35*F, and interrupts power when temperature rises to 45*F. The Thermo Cube has two grounded outlets, and into each, I plug a 3-way splitter. I plug a small fan-forced ceramic portable heater into one of the splitters, and a fan and a plug-in analog clock into the other. The heater is set to high temperature and medium heat. The fan is set to medium force. The clock is set to midnight. The fan is installed in the wet bay on top of the fresh water tank behind the wet bay panel pointed at the back of the panel and at the water pump. The heater is next to the fan and pointed 90* to the flow of the air from the fan. The clock is set on the floor and illuminated by the night light. When the Thermo Cube senses 35*F, the fan, heater and clock all receive power and begin to run at their preset settings, the clock just starts counting time. At 45*F, the fan, heater and clock shut off. The clock shows how much time the fan and heater have run. It was 19*F this morning when I woke up. The clock showed 1 hour and 10 minutes of run time in the previous 24 hours keeping the wet bay above 35*F. Nice.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:32 AM   #22
IC2

I had 'the urge' to at least blow out the pink stuff out of the water lines yesterday when the temp reached 72* 25 miles North of NYs Capital District Instead I cleaned the odd junk out of tow vehicle instead. Winter is NOT over yet, officially or climate wise, recalling a 12" snow dump on April 15th not too many years back> I'll do it after April 1st.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I had 'the urge' to at least blow out the pink stuff out of the water lines yesterday when the temp reached 72* 25 miles North of NYs Capital District Instead I cleaned the odd junk out of tow vehicle instead. Winter is NOT over yet, officially or climate wise, recalling a 12" snow dump on April 15th not too many years back> I'll do it after April 1st.
Since I moved up here 20 years ago after living in the metro NYC area my whole life, I still have to remind myself that March is a snow month. Not snow like we got down there in March, mixed in with some kite flying and such - real snow, often for the whole month.

April up here is like March down there, and even May isn't all that great. So it'll stay winterized until April. At least.

Edit: Golden Snowball site says normal average to date is 84.5", and normal season's average is 99.5". Still a lot of time to catch up, as it is every year when I'm wishing winter would hurry up and leave.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:14 AM   #24

There's a good chance I'll be doing mine in 2 weeks - the last week of March I'm off work for Spring Break and the itch will get me motivated!
Need to check when the OH/IN/KY state parks turn on their water?
Old 03-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #25

We just thawed out here last week in central Michigan.

I would like to have an electric bay heater installed but settled on a portable one.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:37 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Here in northern Minnesota we still have 2 feet of snow in the yard and low temps in the single digits to teens, as much as I would like to get my 5er out and ready to go I think it will be about 6 to 8 weeks yet
sparky242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #27

I'm going to start watching the 10 day forecast with a particular attention to overnight temps. Teens and twenties is concerning. I will probably wait until the first or second week of April. I'm in Massachusetts.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thumbs up wenatchee, wa.snowing here now....

supposed to be in the teens this weekend so this rig will be a little tested i suppose. state parks that are open on the dry side have centralized water available. fill your fresh water at home if needed....bah, who needs full hookups?
theres a couple rigs here, 1 other ORV.
i never winterize!
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize