Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #1

Question Anyone using Crown 6CRV260 260 AH AGM battery

Been looking at CG2H 6V deep cycle battery's. Came across the Crown brand and their 260AH AGM battery 6CRV260AGM. The also have a flooded version CR-260 Crown is made in USA Ohio

What can anyone tell me about the brand, quality etc. They only have a 1 year warranty.

Otherwise I am looking at a Deka GC45 which I can get locally. Its a flooded battery. USA made by Penn. I am planning on a 4 battery bank. I have room and can carry the weight.

Please don't recommend Lithium - I cant afford it currently and means other modifications such as a new charger etc. Just out of my budget.

Any thoughts on the Crown brand and battery are appreciated.
Thanks
YODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have no personal experience but Crown has been a bit player in the battery business since 1926. They make flooded and AGM batteries and reviewers say they are as good as Trojan. Anecdotal rather than lab measurements, of course, but suggests they are reliably good quality. Plenty of customer reviews online if you Google Crown Battery reviews. There are reviews on Amazon too.

6v GC2 flooded cell batteries are pretty much a commodity, so you can pretty much buy on specs & price. AGM tech is also well established by now, so probably much the same. Cost per AH is a decent measure of value.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I have no personal experience but Crown has been a bit player in the battery business since 1926. They make flooded and AGM batteries and reviewers say they are as good as Trojan. Anecdotal rather than lab measurements, of course, but suggests they are reliably good quality. Plenty of customer reviews online if you Google Crown Battery reviews. There are reviews on Amazon too.

6v GC2 flooded cell batteries are pretty much a commodity, so you can pretty much buy on specs & price. AGM tech is also well established by now, so probably much the same. Cost per AH is a decent measure of value.

Thanks Gary
Interesting you mentioning the 6V GC2 Flood. After comparing the Crown CR-260 (GC2H) to Trojan, Deka and others, Crown has a longer life cycle. Their 20% DOD is 3000 cycles, 40% 1500. At 50% DOD the Crown AGM is 1000 cycles verses 1200 for the flooded. I cant find a life cycles graphs for the Deka GC45 battery or the Trojan T145.

It interesting that all of the AGM equivalent battery's, including Crown have less life cycles at the same DOD making the Flooded a better choice in cost of ownership. This evaluation included the deeper 80% DOD for the AGM. Also given that you can by 2 GC2 flooded for the price of 1 GC2 AGM equivalent.

Now to find an available quad GC2H battery box. All my sources say out of stock. I may haft to go 2 separate dual boxes.

Thanks Again
YODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There is little question in my mind that a well-cared-for flooded cell deep cycle will outperform an AGM, in cycles, calendars years, and usable AH. The only question is "what are the odds of it being well-cared-for?". It doesn't take much neglect for the AGM to equal the flooded cell.

There is one other factor: the AGM won't outgas and corrode the surrounding metal, wires, and any nearby electronics. Again, this may or may not be a factor in your eyes.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:50 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the Crown 6v220s. So far they have been fine but they are only a year old. You will have to use the ‘Custom’ charge profile since the AGM1 and AGM2 do not have the correct Float setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66F0ACFF-3965-4E33-9052-08841D1FCC07.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	319186  
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:10 AM   #6

Get the flooded 6V golf cart batteries and add a single point watering system. Set up a monthly reminder on you phone's calender and add water once a month. Takes about 5 minutes tops. My current batteries are 4 years old and check out well with in the green zone with a hydrometer. I charge the starting battery once a month when we are not traveling in the winter.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery