Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2008, 06:11 AM   #1

My brother is about to buy a "quartz", heater one sees advertised everywhere. One make is Environ-Pure. You have seen the promos claiming they are a Amish creation etc. The research I have done, indicates they are not worth the money. Curious what feed back the Irv2 folks have, I generally consider their comments pretty much on the mark.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2008, 06:11 AM   #2

My brother is about to buy a "quartz", heater one sees advertised everywhere. One make is Environ-Pure. You have seen the promos claiming they are a Amish creation etc. The research I have done, indicates they are not worth the money. Curious what feed back the Irv2 folks have, I generally consider their comments pretty much on the mark.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #3

The so-called "Amish" heaters are being promoted to the gullible via massive advertising. My guiding principle is the more something is advertised, the more I stay away. The heaters probably put out heat the same as a $20 Wal-Mart electric heater, but looking at a picture of a fire seems odd.
I have looked at some infrared heaters in fancy wood cabinets that do put out nice heat fairly quietly, but they cost $300 and up.
Most 110v heaters are 1,500 watts max, so there is only so much energy available to put out.
Our experience is that one electric heater keeps the chill off about half of the motorhome. Best for us is a small quiet unit that we aim at ourselves to keep cozy, emphasis on quiet.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #4

We use a tall 24" quartz heater bought from WalMart that works very well for us. Paid around $60.00 for it.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:13 AM   #5

My DW thought she wanted one of those "Amish" heaters until I researched it on the internet. Those are not Amish people and the woodwork is pressed sawdust. Really not worth the money. We keep a little 750/1500 heater in the coach which we can use to take off the chill in the morning.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know about the rest of the Amish world but the ones that live in my area don't use electricty or pressed sawdust....

Jo/Lee

'Retirement is grossly underrated '
Jo/Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have not used a quartz heater, but we do have two ceramic heaters and they work great. Both are self controlled with a fan. Cheap to run and safe since they do not get hot on the outside.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
For the money you can't beat the little ceramic heaters. They work, they are small and they are not too much money.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can compare brands and prices at Biz Rate. Lots of them.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:21 AM   #10

The heater itself is Chinese only the cabinetry may be of Amish design but made from materials which the fully traditional Amish would not work with.

Most campgrounds I have looked at for a fall trip now have a no electric heater policy posted on their web sites so this could become a mute point.

With the close quarters and plethora of flamible materials in an RV there are very few Quartz, Parabolic, Infrared and even Ceramic heates that would truely be safe to use anyway.

Check out the safety statement from the EdenPure manual for one of the Amish Style heat units:

"1) The grill of the heater can be hot when in use. Although there is a
protective "cool to the touch" coating on the grill, to avoid burns do not
let bare skin touch hot surfaces. If provided, use handles when moving
this heater. Keep combustible materials such as furniture, pillows,
bedding, papers, clothes and curtains at least 3 feet (0.9m) from the front
of the heater and keep them away from the sides and the rear."
Old 09-21-2008, 03:59 AM   #11

Thanks to every one for their response to this post. It pretty much co-insides with my own research. I showed all of the responses to my brother, he has decided to stay with his ceramic disc heaters. One point I would like to address however, is this, while the Amish do not use electricity. They do make many items for sale to the English, which they do not use. I do not think this is one of them .
Old 09-21-2008, 09:33 AM   #12

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Most campgrounds I have looked at for a fall trip now have a no electric heater policy... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find interesting that (assuming) a campground whose seasonal activity costs have ceased (i.e. swimming pool, weekend events, childrens' program, etc.) would have the nerve to prohibit you from using an electric heater. Besides, many campgrounds charge you extra for this (and air conditioning) anyway if you admit to using using them. The A/C is easy to detect (they can hear it running) but I think an electric heater would be difficult unless there was an electric meter on your site for them to measure the usage.

The way some of these places nickel and dime you today, I'm surprised they don't charge you extra for using an electric toaster, microwave or coffeemaker.

I have an electric/gas HWT which I always run on electric when there's shore power. No campground has ever questioned me on this.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #13

I have noticed lately that road side rest areas are being used more and more as over nighters for RVers, even though it clearly states you can't. I used to wonder why would any one want to do this? When c/g's start charging extra for heaters, a/c's, pets, kids, sewer,water, cable,wifi,pull throughs, on top of an ever increasing base rate. I can see why people look for another way, especially those in transit.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
Homer - the campgrounds here in Denver - this SUMMER - if you were going to stay for a month, charged a deposit for power, an extra charge for WiFi and some of them charged for cable. And the monthly charges were over $500 - some much more than that. We are talking some DUMPY RV parks too. Lots of permanent residents and junkers. I hate it when a campground advertises WiFi and cable and then you find out that there's an extra charge for them - and with the WiFi you have to log on and pay with your credit card. $4 to $10 extra per dog, a charge for more than 2 or 4 people, a charge for taking credit cards instead of cash. It's getting ridiculous. You would think that with the gas prices and the lack of RV's traveling right now, they'd be bending over backwards to accomodate you. As long as I have my air card to get online and my cell phone . . . I'll take WalMart parking lots or WHATEVER to staying in RV parks when I'm on the road headed for a destination.