Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
AquaHot fresh water leak, Monaco Dynasty 2002

Hi all
I am hoping to get some help/advice on My AquaHot.
Hooked up to the city water and when the faucet turned on there was a major leak exiting from under the motorhome where the AquaHot exhaust pipe comes out. Turned off the faucet let, the water stop, then I switched the input valve selector to fill the holding tank. The same thing happened. I took off the AquaHot covers and there was just a seeping flow coming in that area. from under the what I assume is the antifreeze tank. There is no sign of water within the whole water compartment.
Some questions.
-With the leak happening when the input selector valve is in either position could it be in the selector valve.
-If the leak is in the body of the AquaHot, where might it be.
-would it be more cost affective to install a 110v electric water heater.

Any insights would be helpfull
Thanks
Owen
owensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2020, 05:26 PM   #2

Sounds like your pressure relief valve. It’s just like a home hw tank. Good luck.
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairway2002 View Post
Sounds like your pressure relief valve. It’s just like a home hw tank. Good luck.

The only place freshwater can leak from the Aqua hot is from the back of the unit or the heating coils. A common failure is the mixing valve. There is no "pressure valve/pop off valve" on an aqua hot unit and it is nothing like a home hot water tank because there is no tank for fresh water. You need to make sure the leak is fresh water. City water vs holding tank is irrelevant to the Aqua hot. I don't know your wet bay layout but further investigation of where the leak is actually coming from is in order. Worst case scenario is it wasn't winterized properly and the fresh water coils around the transfer fluid tank are cracked. That usually means a replacement unit which is expensive.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Last time I experienced a leak in that order it was coming from the water feed line to the fridge ice maker. There are so many lines and connections it's difficult to locate a water leak at times. I also had a water leak at the fresh water pump years ago but you could check that without too much trouble.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Pull the cover and you should be able to see if it is the mixing valve or the external plumbing.
What model of A/H do you have??

As for replacing with a conventional hot water heater.. That is a can of worms You do not want to open..

The A/H system not only supplies hot water for showers, it is your main heat for the whole RV (and some models of RV's can be your basement heat and preheat for the engine)..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
thanks for the advice, it really helps. The operators manual for the unit I have states that, other than heating water for personal use, the house heating, engine preheat and basement heating does not require the fresh water side of the unit. I have been told that because of that, changing to a 110v system could be an option. I don't think I could go with a propane/electric system as there would be venting issues. What do you think?
Old 07-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I love my Hydro Hot and wouldn't want anything else. No way I would convert even if I had to replace it.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for your insights, they are very helpful.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Look at the mixer valve as it connects between the incoming cold water and outgoing hot water.

It is kind of hard to see under the burner pump but you need to localize your leak before dumping money into it.

Check the Aquahot website and download your service manual. Likely the 100-01 or 100-02 series. Look at page 10 for location of inlet and outlet for domestic hot water and the mixing valve as has referenced in previous posts.

I am surprised that when your selector is on tank fill you get much water flowing thru the house side. I know when I fill my tank I get very little water if any at the taps. Now this was / is just my experience.

Do not panic just sit down and figure out where the leak is. Then you can make a plan going forward.

Good luck.

Terry & Pat
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
That is very helpful advice, I will look at page ten.
Thanks
Owen and Lisa

Tags
fresh water, leak, monaco, monaco dynasty, water, water leak