Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Are all four season trailers designed for below freezing.

I post in TH section was thinking of up grading campers. I use my trailer in temps from 100 down to 0f . Looking for one well insulated and only had two post suggesting ether Outdoor rv or North Woods. Noticed another manufacture listing there trailer four seasons. Is that there way of saying for winter use.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

Yes..althou without look'n, the waste valves might not be...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:58 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The term “four seasons” is really rather meaningless in the RV world. How long will you be in temps below freezing? Days? Hours? Big difference. The Nash, Northwoods, and Outdoors RV brands are designed for back country camping in more harsh conditions than most, and they are designed and built by people in the Pacific Northwest.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
The term “four seasons” is really rather meaningless in the RV world. How long will you be in temps below freezing? Days? Hours? Big difference. The Nash, Northwoods, and Outdoors RV brands are designed for back country camping in more harsh conditions than most, and they are designed and built by people in the Pacific Northwest.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have an ORV 19B. I have had it in temps just below 0F overnight, and temps well above 100F during the day. I'm glad I did.

The pipes froze underneath when the temps got really low. I cranked up the heat inside the trailer to almost 80 and they thawed out and I could use water again. The valves are covered by the underbelly plastic sheet, and the furnace blows some of the warmed air into the space where the pipes are, but it can get cold enough to freeze them. I added inexpensive RV antifreeze to the sewage tanks to keep them from freezing solid, but this did not keep the dump valves from being frozen shut. A couple minutes with a heat gun and they thawed and I could open them. No leaking problems from that winter though.

The air conditioning in my somewhat small-ish trailer is great because it is stronger than is probably needed for this size, and I'm glad I had it.

Would I go to somewhere that had 0F or colder nights again? Not if I had a choice. But if I didn't have a choice, I'd hitch it all up and go there.

During the winter in South Texas, every RV is a four season RV. The Rockport area was pretty nice in the winter.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I have an ORV 19B. I have had it in temps just below 0F overnight, and temps well above 100F during the day. I'm glad I did.

The pipes froze underneath when the temps got really low. I cranked up the heat inside the trailer to almost 80 and they thawed out and I could use water again. The valves are covered by the underbelly plastic sheet, and the furnace blows some of the warmed air into the space where the pipes are, but it can get cold enough to freeze them. I added inexpensive RV antifreeze to the sewage tanks to keep them from freezing solid, but this did not keep the dump valves from being frozen shut. A couple minutes with a heat gun and they thawed and I could open them. No leaking problems from that winter though.

The air conditioning in my somewhat small-ish trailer is great because it is stronger than is probably needed for this size, and I'm glad I had it.

Would I go to somewhere that had 0F or colder nights again? Not if I had a choice. But if I didn't have a choice, I'd hitch it all up and go there.

During the winter in South Texas, every RV is a four season RV. The Rockport area was pretty nice in the winter.
Thanks for post. At zero I expect that stuff to freeze and start dry camping. What do you keep inside temp set at and how much propane do you use a day.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:19 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I keep the furnace set at 65° when occupied, and 55° when I'm out. At near zero temps I use a bottle of propane every 6-7 days. Next time I have to do that I'll get one of the propane companies to bring a big bottle, set it up, and keep it filled.

Your propane consumption might very a lot from mine.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:33 AM   #8

Lots of variables enter this question: How long below freezing? Lot of sun exposure during the day? Longer the temps stays below freezing, the more likely to have a freezeup. Need to utilize the furnace to keep the basement area warm. Suggest whatever you get is wired for 50amp service as you may need space heaters to supplement the furnace. There is also an item known as 'Cheap Heat' that is a resistance heat coil mounted in the furnace ducting that will work excellent at heating in cold temps using the heat ducts and sending heat everywhere the furnace does. Best to have 50amp to use, but there is a 30/50amp option available. Would not be without this appliance if going to be at low temps for extended periods and have electrical hookups. And, to keep water flowing if hooked up, get one of the heated water hoses (Camco/Pirit) they work.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:46 AM   #9

Every trailer in Hawaii is a 4 season trailer
joshuajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #10

Grand Design Solitude is a 4 season rig. I will be testing that out next week. Running up to the St Louis area. Brrrrrr.....
Old 01-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajim View Post
Every trailer in Hawaii is a 4 season trailer
But the last time I tried to drive there I musta got lost. Never could find the right exit.
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #12

Question, Is there any STANDARDS defining just what defines a “4 season rating” ?

Is one companys definition of 4 season different than of another company’s definition?
Old 01-29-2019, 04:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcoxid View Post
Question, Is there any STANDARDS defining just what defines a “4 season rating” ?

Is one companys definition of 4 season different than of another company’s definition?
There are no standards. It can mean anything the manufacturer wants it to mean.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:34 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
There are no standards. It can mean anything the manufacturer wants it to mean.
Seconded. And the RV industry would be almost turned upside down if these kinds of standards were published and the manufacturers couldn't use the term if they didn't build to those standards, or better.

There's a reason these things aren't standardized, and it's not because all of the players in the industry can't agree on them, it's because they all disagree on them.

Tags
trailer