Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2021, 05:34 AM   #1

Are Jack Feet Supposed To Tilt?

Are the feet of the hydraulic leveling jacks on my RV meant to tilt? My RV has been sitting in place for awhile and one of the feet has taken a bit of an angle (maybe ~25%). The RV is parked on a sandy lot and I did put some wood pads under the jacks to minimize sinking. I'm just wondering if this tilt is a fault or something that will correct when I re-level somewhere else on harder ground. Should I maybe put a bit of oil around the base to encourage allowance of movement? Of note, this is a big RV (43' AC Revolution) and the questionable pad is in the rear. As much as I'd hate to hear it, is this some sort of more serious fault that requires remedy? Thanks for all experience-based opinions and input.
skyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2021, 08:25 AM   #2

Yes, they do have some flex to them. One of mine is tilted at least that much.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:28 AM   #3

Actually, it depends on what brand your leveling jacks are. Some have flex while others do not.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:50 AM   #4

Mine do as well. I asked the same question here when I discovered it before calling a mobile tech.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #5

Does your jacks have 2 springs, one on each side of the cylinder, that holds the "foot" on the bottom? If so, the bottom foot can do whatever it needs to do to lift the coach. If that means tilting at an angle, yes, it will. They can also pop off and hang by the springs. I drove 4 hours and pulled into my next site during a walkaround saw the foot on the jack by driver side tire just hanging. Took a pry bar and pried it back down to the bottom and was good to go.
If you don't have springs on each side of cylinder, I don't know that system.

Also, if you mean the entire cylinder angling - some systems have play in the mounting of the cylinder that allows some shifting to accommodate the site being off level.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:16 PM   #6

The 4-point HWH brand leveling jacks have an angle on their mounting brackets to add stability. On hard surfaces the jack foot/pad will scoot/slide some while extending or retracting as a result, on concrete this can result in a loud bang if the jack pad jumps instead of sliding.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshark View Post
Are the feet of the hydraulic leveling jacks on my RV meant to tilt? My RV has been sitting in place for awhile and one of the feet has taken a bit of an angle (maybe ~25%). The RV is parked on a sandy lot and I did put some wood pads under the jacks to minimize sinking. I'm just wondering if this tilt is a fault or something that will correct when I re-level somewhere else on harder ground. Should I maybe put a bit of oil around the base to encourage allowance of movement? Of note, this is a big RV (43' AC Revolution) and the questionable pad is in the rear. As much as I'd hate to hear it, is this some sort of more serious fault that requires remedy? Thanks for all experience-based opinions and input.

It’s bending the big foot maybe when you park on a hard flat surface it will flatten out.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:07 AM   #8

Thank you for all the comments. It seems logical that there would be some allowance for tilt to deal with uneven surfaces. I just get a little edgy after not having moved for awhile. I'm parked in a sand lot that doesn't stand up well to having 20 tons pressed down on it. I have pads but they tend not to sink flat.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:31 PM   #9

if you can post a pic, that would help us help you.

A pic of the hydraulic leveling jack to be clear.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:18 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My front HWH jacks are actually designed to pivot, inward and outward. I can move them by hand.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
My front HWH jacks are actually designed to pivot, inward and outward. I can move them by hand.
Likewise. Ours have open ball-and-socket joints that can pivot in any direction.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:18 AM   #12

I should've thought of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
if you can post a pic, that would help us help you.

A pic of the hydraulic leveling jack to be clear.
This pic isn't brilliant but I suppose it is far better than nothing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rv foot plate.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	327597
Old 05-08-2021, 07:07 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
That looks normal to me. The ground settled due to the weight, splitting your wood pad causing the jack foot to be angled. If it bothers you, the fix would be to raise the jack, replace the wood pad and reset the jack down.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:28 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Then there’s THIS kind of tilt

Oops... Anyone know where I can buy a new 8” HWH foot? Seems mine got bent some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	355F46E0-FCB0-4786-B50A-3AC7FD9CD574.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	327850