Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2021, 07:36 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Are new AC/Heat pumps worth the extra cost

OK, I'm looking at replacing both my ~20 year old Dometic Duotherm AC with heat pump units.

Been doing some reading comments and specs on different AC's, I found one that actually said the heat pump only puts out ~5K BTU worth of heat. Yet my older ones pull ~17-18 amps. I could run a small cube heater and gain much more heat with less amps. Plus the heat pump only works down to 35F.

So is it worth the extra cost.

Besides that we seldom use the heat pump. We can flip on the furnace for 5 minutes to warm up the coach quickly.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #2
YC1

If you don't need them then it is just more parts that can fail. Our fireplace is nothing more than a floor heater with fancy lights playing like a log fire. It works for use most of the time. The two propane heaters allow us to bake muffins inside if needed. The heat pumps are noisy too of course.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:58 AM   #3

We have a heat pump in one of our two AC units in our Montana and like it. It seems to perform pretty well and uses the campground’s electricity instead of our propane for taking the chill off (as long as it’s not too cold out). Combined with the heat from the electric fireplace we can keep our Montana warm without running the furnace (again, if it is not sub-freezing outside).
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you read, most RV heat pumps output is 10,000 BTUH or more with 13 to 14 amp power draw. A cube heater of fireplace will produce 5200 BTUH on 12.5 amps.

We have two heat pumps and use them often as long as the ambient temperature id over 30 degF. If I were getting a new RV, I'd order with heat pumps and delete the decorative fireplace. When we need additional heat, two ceramic heaters do fine.

Ken
Old 10-28-2021, 08:22 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a heat pump on our front AC unit and use it all the time when we want to take the chill off when outside temps are colder but above 40 degrees. We do not have a fireplace, so that's not an option. Our AC system is ducted, with air distribution vents running front to back in the ceiling, and connecting the front and back AC units. With nightime temps in the 40s, I run the front heat pump AC unit, and close a number of the front ceiling outlets to direct most of the heated air to the bedroom in the rear. Works well for us, and I'm not unnecessarily using propane when I don't need that level of heating.

As for noise, I really don't think that the decibel level of an RV forced hot air furnace is all that different from a roof AC unit. Because of the way my ceiling air distribution system is set up, for me, running the front heat pump is much quieter at night. Based on your setup, your results may be different. My MH is going on 6 yrs old, and I've had zero issue with the front AC/Heat Pump unit.
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced both A/C units with the Penguin II Hi-Capacity heat pumps. We really like them! I would rather let the RV park pay for my heating instead of burning expensive propane! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 12:14 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Double check the one that is only 5K in heat output. Some models just used a "heat strip", a small heating strip that the air from the fan blows over. Those were all about 5K in heating. They were also pretty ineffective.

I think there are pros and cons to heat pumps. As Joe mentioned, let the RV park pay for the electricity when using them. For us, we found that we really only used them late in the evening when relaxing and found them noisy. Overnight, we would turn the front one on and let it migrate to the rear. We tried to do the same during the evening, letting just the one in the bedroom run.

Our previous coach had a fireplace and we found we used that more often. I don't think we ever used the heat pumps in the five years we owned that coach. Our current coach has heated floors, unless they quit, we'll never use the heat pumps.

I think I would look back at how often you used them in the past and make your decision. Maybe buy just one for the front and a regular unit in the rear.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
In my previous MH I had one HP and one AC only used the HP at campgrounds on cool days and nights. LPG furnace on the cold ones. My current MH has three HP's and a Oasis diesel electric furnace which I will use the same.
Bylandorsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #9

The answer really depends on when and where you travel
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heat pump, pump