Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #43

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ours does a great job of heating our rig unless it is really cold, then we use furnace or something else... We love our fireplace. It looks nice... Pretty real... And my better half insists that we have it turned on, even when it's warm, we just turn the heater off and use it for looks. Would definitely want one in our next motorhome.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #44

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
When there is a chill out it works fine and when it is really cold out have to use Maine heater. One thing to keep in mind is when it is on you are using the campgrounds electric not your propane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470674902401.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	135309  
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #45

We had one in the fifth wheel, it was about useless. The only thing that heated up was the entertainment center directly above it. The MH doesn't have one & we don't miss it. The added storage space is worth more to us.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I cannot stand the smell of the propane furnace and I will not use it unless it gets down below freezing.
A propane furnace does not smell, once you burn off the lint that has settled on the heat exchanger. Nor do they add moisture to the air.

The flame is in an enclosed chamber that draws and exhaust from the out side air. The flame heats the sheet metal and the fan blows the air over the outside of the exchanger. There is no exchange or mixing of air.

I spent 45 plus years working with applied thermodynamics and heat transfer. There is very little difference in efficiency between one electric heater and another. There can be a perceived difference by people based on air temperature and air movement.

If seems the myths and wives-tales will live forever.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #47

Since the OP is in Hawaii I would sat it's for show
Old 08-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #48
IC2

Yes, we have a 'fireplace' in our 5er. It is quite possibly the poorest, least efficient example of a 750/1500 watt heat source that Keystone could have installed. Yes, the fake flames are pretty. No, it does not do a better job of heat distribution then the twenty buck, ~8" square, 750/1500 watt ceramic, Chinese made cube heater that we purchased at Tractor Supply a few years ago and which may be stored in a corner under the bed. Along with those negatives, it also wastes about 8 (or more) cubic feet of potential cupboard storage under the TV.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
Since the OP is in Hawaii I would sat it's for show
It's true that I'm in Hawaii now... and therefore don't even have an RV... but there is change in the wind... :-)
PJinHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #50

Are all RV fireplaces electric? or is propane an option?

I'm hoping when we get rigged up, that we'll spend lots and lots of time in national parks and off grid places where there are no CG hoookups.

With that constraint, sounds like I might want to lean away from the elec. fireplaces, even though a lot of people seem to like them.
PJinHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #51

Used mine this past winter in Southern California and it helped keep the chill out, but I did still used the furnace when temps dropped in the 20's
Deanza11350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinHawaii View Post

I'm hoping when we get rigged up, that we'll spend lots and lots of time in national parks and off grid places where there are no CG hoookups.

With that constraint, sounds like I might want to lean away from the elec. fireplaces, even though a lot of people seem to like them.
All the ones I've seen for inside the MH are electric. There are propane ones you can use outside. When boondocking you can run your generator when you want to use the fireplace.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

No propane option, at least not one intended for interior RV use.
The open propane flame would require venting (air in and fleu).

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #54

Alpine Owners Club
Are RV Fireplaces just for show?

We had been using a space heater and liked the heat it produced. We had unused space in our coach that we were using for paper towels. It had been designed for a dishwasher so there was power in the space.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470713616.346163.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	135354

I cut a fireplace into the wall. We found that we use it a lot. We were in Destin, FL in January where we had several nights below freezing. The fireplace kept us cozy and warm so we did not have to use either the heat pump or the Hydro Hot for heat. The fact that it has ambience also is just the icing on the cake.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470714093.086015.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	135356

I was also able to keep the storage space behind the fireplace, it looks like it was original in the coach. Yes, we lost a drawer, but in 2 years it has not bothered us.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #55

Quote:

For boondocking these are heaters that you would want.

For 16 years of full-timing we used the Empire brand Radiant Heater. It is very economical on propane and gives a constant warm heat without any noise. We'd highly recommend it or another type. Serious boondockers used these heaters.

Regardless of what you may hear these heaters are absolutely safe - if used properly.

We had it plumbed in to a dedicated propane line from our tanks. We could turn it any direction. It warmed up our 40' motorhome in 10 minutes. We never slept with it as we like sleeping in a cold room.

RV Heaters | Heaters | Empire Heaters

We certainly wouldn't run a generator to use one of those fake fireplaces.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We certainly wouldn't run a generator to use one of those fake fireplaces.
Why not, when boondocking you run the generator to charge up the batteries or run your AC's, or other electric components if necessary. If you had one of those stand alone heaters you would have to use the generator to operate it. The propane heater you talk about is a good idea, but if you have the fireplace already it is no different than running the generator for the AC's, or other heating systems. We are like you we don't leave any heaters on when sleeping as we would rather be on the cold side when sleeping, but it is great to warm up the MH before getting in bed, and also charges up your batteries in the process.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fire, replace