Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I, and most folks understand that shops and even retail parts shops add a percentage to the cost they paid for the part when they sell them. I did the same, but the customer just saw the price I charged. It sounds like the shop listed a cost for the engine, then charged another 20 percent, if so, I would call gouging too.
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #58

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a former shop owner for many years, unless things have changed, owners do not buy parts at true wholesale prices. If you are a HUGE shop, and can afford to buy and maintain a large inventory then perhaps you can qualify for wholesale pricing. Parts houses when I was in business usually priced parts and supplies to shop owners at 20 to 50 percent below retail. Amount of discount varied with type and amount of parts purchased for resale to shop customers.

I agree with mr300ce, it would be hard if not impossible to stay in business if no mark up in parts was charged to customer. Unless you have been in the automotive repair business for yourself,its difficult to understand all the expenses required to maintain a business and make a reasonable profit.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #59

Well, I guess that is why we have a free enterprise system & if you feel you are being gorged then take it to the next step. I just have a hard time agreeing that all repair shops, or the suggested majority are to be considered "Rip Off's" because of a few. Not much sense complaining here & not doing anything about it through the proper channels.
Good to see many good retired business people giving us the facts about running a profitable business.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #60

& sometimes not profitable
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #61

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I am pleased you took the time to read my long response. I did not have the same great response from Power Gear as you did.

In any case, since you have prior service experience you can probably feel my pain as a service provider that gets beat about the head and shoulders and often just due to customer frustrations.

We do not disagree that good service is not as common as it should be. We who can turn wrenches but have pain in the joints and money in the bank decide to fix things with a checkbook have little tolerance for incompetence or wasting of our assets. Nor do you dare try to insult our intelligence or second guess our abilities.

I have 40 years of electronics troubleshooting. I have taught hundreds of technicians.

There is probaly very very few true electronic technicians working in the RV industry. Way more money elsewhere.

Now how about hydraulic techs? I bet they can do better.
The statement about electronics and tech's is very true. I told a tech that he had installed a 10 amp fuse in a 20 amp circuit that was clearly marked 20 amps. Its OK he said, I installed a slow blow fuse. (I swear this is true)
Old 12-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #62
YC1

In any case, Profit is not a dirty word. That said. The state of California and local taxes make a higher percentage profit than I do.

It cost $800 a year for being a corporation in Kalifornia. (Yes I'm a greedy rich corporation). We currently have 8 employees. Have had up to 17 when things were better.

A couple of years ago the state raised vehicle registration by simply doubling it. Since we had a fleet of about ten vehicles it cost me over $5K a year more.

In a letter I wrote to my representative and he read on the floor I stated I will be leaving Kalifornia as soon as possible. State of emergency, state of taxation, over controlled and overpaid public employees. I'm a native of Kalifornia and will miss the beautiful welfare state.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #63

I've shopped around to find good attitude shop people. Price and attitude goes a long way. It works well. I been ripped off a few times too, and the shops know who they are. Written complaints sometimes tell them that bad things happened.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:38 AM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Back again. I have, from the beginning, told people (particularly young people) to go get educated about cars. It is the #2 $$$ thing the average person will own.

You will likely drive all your life. You don't have to work on it, but you need to know how they work. Often the local colleges offer basics on autos, so you will understand them.

You can learn what a fanbelt is, water pump, spark plug, etc. And how they function. Then, maybe you won't be a victim of some jerk that tries to con you for repairs you don't really need.

But alas, most people are lazy, and they don't take the time to learn enough to live cheaper, by living "un-cheated".
Old 12-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #65

mr300 your are correct....ALL people should know about cars.

If you drive you should also know how to change a flat tire, adjust your tire pressure, check your lights, your fluids, change a wiper blade, etc..all of the common sense items that can be done easily at home.

but in this lazy society...it is easier to look the other way and then complain
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Things become "expensive" when you dont have the money.
You'll find that folks pay $50k for a motorhome think that a warranty is included and may not be "mentally" ready to part with $4k for a set of tires or $2k for a brake job not included in the warranty terms.
Of course they might just be servicing interest on their RV loan... so theres that too...lol
Before I pay $100+/hr... Id better be getting NASA level engineering skill and diagnostic ability. Im definitely not against capitalism... but im also not overpaying for a commodity.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #67

Just like a house. I've been there when the repair costs on the house became overwhelming, sometimes it never ends.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #68

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a sole proprioter Mobil RV repair. He doesn't charge me $120 hr
to put a 10 to $15 per hr. trainee to diagnose and start selling me parts in hope that fixes it, if not, order more parts, no big deal, the customer pays for it.
He does the work himself with my help sometimes and he is good. He has to be, that's his business and he actually fixes stuff and is not just a 'parts changer' and that also pads their profit. That is the difference. I've seen them order an AAPB actuator (probably over a grand because it had a seal barely seeping. Another they ordered an entire double pane window simply because the ocking lever was broke.
These items were warranty items so if it's any consolation, they also gouge the manufacturers, not just the consumer. After they changed the window and brought it home,I found that I had to rethread my blind that they forgot to tie. For me, they always seemed to break 1 to 3 things even if it's little stuff or leave the lights on. I think they're sad and I hope I never need a RV dealer to work on my MH again

I think their motto is "if you own a motorhome, you obviously have more money than brains" and they try to even things out for us.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #69

where does the money come from to pay for amenities? You know..the free coffee, donuts, bottled water, TV, lounge area, WIFI etc???
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Safe & Secure RV Repair 2018

https://www.brazelsrv.com Brazil’s located in Centralia Wa. Has on site RV Park where they double check locks & compartments, hook back up water & Electrical at closing! Staff are caring professional skilled mechanics! 1st. time I called waited while very nice receptionist went into service bay & owner mechanic took my call to discuss possible noise from a/c compressor! Scheduled an appointment, left coach visited Mt Rainier picked up coach & Mechanic explained everything they replaced, amazing service a 10! A drive from Portland Or. but worth it compared to other RV repair places close by us in Oregon! Highly Recommend!
Dennis833 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair