Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2021, 09:37 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Motorized awnings. Just one more thing to fail. I'll take my manual awning over a motorized one any day.
Cheap transfer switches. How about those failures and recalls? I'll take my manual plug-in-the-junction box system any day.
Macerator dump systems. Yeah, I want to clean that clogged up mess out. I'll take a gravity drain system over that any day.
Yes, systems getting too complicated and unnecessary. I want to enjoy my RV, not spend my retirement fixing it.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 09:55 PM   #16

Hahaha, you all are cracking me up. You sound like a bunch of dinosaurs, we may look and feel like dinosaurs but we don't have to act like them.
Fyi: nobody carries owners Manuels anymore, we just grab a tablet, phone , watch, or little devices scattered throughout your home named Alexa and ask it to dl the information your looking for and thing save it to the cloud for future reference.
Plus back when we had our original dodge ram 3500 decade and decades ago, man you could work on that thing with just a few simple tools but unfortunately it's capabilities all though they were great for the times are just a fraction of what they are today . Who would of ever thought we would be able to haul a 35,000lb trailer with a pick up truck, that's crazy talk right, not anymore.
At least with all this technology one good thing hasn't changed, kicking back and enjoying a beverage. ✌
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 11:15 PM   #17

Do these new rigs still have manuals nowadays?

It's taken us 18 years to get to know, maintain and learn a ton of things about our old gal, and I've spent the past decade plus trying to abate hubby looking at all these fandangled new rigs, and the fabulous things he bores me they can now do on a touch pad. We both know it'll be up to me to work it all out and solve issues eventually, and that ain't happening any time soon I hope!

Gotta love it when at 65 he's only the past year got hooked on his gifted iPad from daughter and found what google is! Has only written 2 cheques out in his lifetime, and thinks it's awesome that somehow he swipes/taps his card and it buys stuff without his having to do anything else. He doesn't even have a cell phone and just about recently knows how to dial home on mine. Now as for Alexa (new in home) he loves that you just ask and she does

The above all aside, give him basic tools and he'll farm the land, build you a beautiful home, deal honestly and fight to the end to protect his loved ones.

We are generally tech dinosaurs for sure, being left behind with all today's complicated gadgetry, albeit lately we've started embracing necessary stuff for this day and age. I am dreading the day when we even have to replace our 11 year old autos, we self maintain and that get us from A to B which is all we need them to do.

Yep for sure bells and whistles sell - the evidence is clear based on number unit sales, but surely there's still enough of us out there that don't want so much complication to operate/use/maintain things that just need a basic on/off button, or screw on screw off filter/cap/whatever? To say nothing today of when one item goes down or fails it disables several other interconnected systems.

It's pretty sad, that so many of us that "just don't want/need" all this techy stuff, finding it all so stressful to operate have no other options today for buying a basic newer rig. Sigh ........
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
There was nothing wrong with the way a 57 Chevy/Ford/Chrysler, ran ; but then the space age came along, and everyone wanted more and more , ease of operation and creature comfort , then emissions controls happened and things got way worse .
When I started in automotive , overhauling carbs, and re-building generators ( yes I'm that old) some advances in equipment were a plus, alternators for one, then it became tech for tech's sake .

I firmly believe that now that engines and transmissions are for the most part trouble free , vehicle manufacturers are installing the tech as the plan to forced obsolescence of their product . Computer controlled everything ; ever try to get a ten year old computer fixed .

I was just talking about the "classic" cars with someone. Fond memories of standing behind 60's era cars and choking on the exhaust fumes. Those cars burned a ton of oil. Had to be checked at about every fill up. But at least I could work on one. I think you are right on about today's cars. Shoot, how often do we even open the hood. Change the oil once/year and no need for top-offs in between.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:08 AM   #19

I kinda like the techy stuff but it can be a royal PITA at times. For example
, have you bought a washing machine in recent years. We did, twice. Bought a top line LG. Looked great cost a bundle and wouldn't wash the clothes properly. There wasn't enough water to get them really wet. On my work clothes there was "high tide" lines of dirt. And of course the smell. Many times we prewashed, hand washed or just ran the machine twice. Of course the wash times are very long as well.

So last year we bought a Maytag top loader. Same issue not enough water to get the clothes wet. So we added an extra two buckets of water. However still not enough water to rinse properly. So run the machine twice. This saves water? Using the large load function had little effect. So after 6 months we sold the house and left the new machine behind. Now looking for an old manual type that will at least wash our clothes and not take forever to do it.

Sorry I'm off rv stuff but the principal is the same. The old KISS syndrome. Keep It Simple cause I'm Stupid.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:08 AM   #20
YC1

Smartest teacher I ever had. Science, Electronics, ground school. He was a very smart man.

I asked him a question in the electronics lab. (High School)... Mr. Hasley, insert question here. His answer was.

"Did you read the book"? I said "yes". He then said, "follow it".

My suggestion to anyone getting some new device is to read the manual though briefly, making note of anything of special interest.

Then go back through with a a note pad and act like you are studying of a test. Because I promise you, there will be a test and it will be in a rain storm or hours before leaving before you big trip.

The pressure from those times will make you forget about the basic, follow the book theme.

My owners manuals have turned down pages, yellow high lights all over, written notes on the inside covers and sometimes on the front covers to refer to a page on some unique item.

My Limited F150 has just about every conceivable bell and whistle. This darn thing will parallel park itself and back a trailer with your fingertips. It is a very complicated beast. You can get a massage, or a message at the same time. Incredible.

I have a cheat sheet in the console for programming the steps to stay extended. Can't remember simple little things like that anymore.

The point is, yep things are far more complicated than need be but some geek worked hard on making that whizzy whirl antenna come up when you turn the radio on. You don't want that guy mowing your lawn.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:59 AM   #21

Its all great while it works and then its a nightmare when it fails. I just dont need that stuff, and I dont want to fix it or pay to have it fixed when I am unable to.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Simplicity appears to be the leader here.
Guessing we all should be thankful our nuclear arsenal still runs on DOS and still uses floppy disks.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Simplicity appears to be the leader here.
Guessing we all should be thankful our nuclear arsenal still runs on DOS and still uses floppy disks.
Love DOS.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Then my Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE is straight out of Neandertal land. No slide, no outside kitchen, no black tank macerator, no pop up TV, no Vibrating/heated/reclining lazy boy, no heated floor, no mood lighting, and no indoor fireplace.

But it does have a 13.5 BTU A/C, power awning, and get this, backlit controls on the stove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outside kitchens
Outside TV
Outside Lights
Outside Speakers
Black Tank macerators
Pop up TVs
Vibrating/heated/Reclining lazy boys
Heated floors
Mood Lighting LEDs
Indoor Fireplace

The list goes on and on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01a Front Right.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	329590   Click image for larger version

Name:	01e Left Side.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	329591  

Click image for larger version

Name:	01b GENERAL - Rear View of Trailer fm Bedroom.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	329592  
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 07:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
how far back in time do you want to go, to possibly avoid issues, manual windows in your car, manual transmission....horse?
Horses? No. Our trip to the Texas Gulf Coast would take more than a month instead of 3 or 4 days it takes now. And someone would have to clean up the horse droppings from the Interstate ...

In any case I think you misunderstood my comment. I do not object to upgrades and improvements and I am no Luddite, but some of the "improvements" have left us vulnerable to failures that have no easy remedies.

So if the LP solenoid fails and closes there is no solution except to get it replaced and being specific to that function that probably means a long wait getting the part. Why could they not have simply added a manual bypass so a solenoid failure could be remedied by crawling under the RV and opening a manual value? Many of the other "improvements" have simple workarounds. If the leveling system on our RV fails we can use wooden blocks or those plastic leveling blocks. If the AC fails we can open windows (which might or might not help, depending upon the temperature). If the solar fails we can use the generator to charge the house batteries. If the house batteries fail we can use the generator.

As a general rule I appreciate the upgrades. Without the onboard computers my car would probably be getting 15 mpg instead of 40 mpg, the RV would probably get about 10 or 12 mpg instead of 16-20. There have been a lot of improvements that are worthwhile but I would also like to see some manual bypasses for some of those upgrades.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
My suggestion to anyone getting some new device is to read the manual though briefly, making note of anything of special interest.
You are absolutely correct.

When we bought this RV I asked the sales guy if I could use the backup camera as a rear view camera when driving down the road. I wanted to be able to keep an eye on our toad when we take it and that seemed to be the best way to do that. His answer was "No". There is no way to use the backup camera as a rear view camera. I asked the service guy and got the same answer and was told that Federal rules, which prohibit watching TV while driving, was the reason.

Being suspicious by nature I spent perhaps an hour looking through all of the controls on the built-in LCD screen trying to find some way to do it but, alas, there was nothing so I scheduled a rear view camera install.

The other day I was looking through the manuals and found a small (perhaps 6 page) manual for the backup camera and there, right in front of me, was how to use the backup camera when driving. Simple, easy and there it was in spite of constantly being told that there was no way, and today I will cancel the install and save the inconvenience and money.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:06 AM   #27

Full disclosure I am old so that may prejudice my opinion. I say yes too fancy. But it depends on why you rv. We are National park people. Scenery and beautiful sights. My niece however, owns a huge 40 foot party barge basically. Goes only to places such as Key West and is in it for the social life. She shops and eats out every dinner. She likes all the upscale items. Me just comfortable bed out of the weather, shower every day and easy cooking. Hike in the AM in nature. I do think the more stuff the more to fix.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:23 AM   #28

I majored in electronics in technical college, have been in industrial maintenance pretty much ever since (30+ yrs) so I am basically an electronics guy but I still believe there are some things electronics has no real purpose.

IE; Can someone explain to me why they make washers and dryers "talk" to each other?
"ok there is a large load of wet clothes coming your way"
"oh crap! I was just cooling down and getting comfortable from the last load, which you didn't get clean, by the way!"

Tags
fan, rvs