Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #57

In my 5ver if someone can reach through the window,
wail you are sleeping, you would need more then a
shot gun. that would be one big person.
So you gun totters if a campground has a no firearms
aloud rule, do you break the rule, because your scared
to be without a gun?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Heartland RV Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I follow "attempted gun threads" on every site at which I'm a member, for the purpose of assessing each site's dedication to its own rules about/prohibitions against such topics, if avowed.
why would you spend time doing that? If a website bothers you, just go somewhere else.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
why would you spend time doing that? If a website bothers you, just go somewhere else.
X2
Old 06-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
I read who carries and who don't and those who will not tell but my questions has more to do with who has been in a situation parked in a remote site, Walmart parking lot, roadside rest area,truck stops, etc. and felt that they needed a weapon to defend or protect themselfs? I have had concerns about stopping in places outside of a campground due to the lack of security. I have no problem defending myself but I do not want to increase the need to do so by stopping overnight in a place that isn't safe.
I have had a couple of incidents in my neighborhood. I often hike in the cool morning hours before daybreak. I've lived here for over 30 years and my attitude is that I will walk or go where I want, when I want and do so without fear. On one occasion I was hiking along the street immediately to the south of me when 2 young black guys came around the corner. It was about 4 AM. They were chatting with each other but when they saw me they stopped openly chatting and started whispering back and forth. They were watching me intently. I simply thrust my right hand into my pocket, wrapped my fingers around the butt of my Ruger LCP pocket pistol and continued walking towards them without changing my stride. As we approached each other I said to them "morning men", they hello and we went our separate ways.

The next incident occurred on the street immediately to the north of me. Again I was hiking in the early morning hours. As I came around a curve in the street I noticed a young white man standing at the edge of the street. When he spotted me he immediately swaggered to the middle of the street, glared at me under the street light, placed his fists on his hips and cocked his head to one side. Again I placed my right hand in my pocket and wrapped my hand around the butt of the Ruger. I came walking directly down the street straight at the guy. When he saw me place my hand in my pocket and proceed towards him without hesitation or fear his demeanor immediately changed. He walked back to the edge of the street and replied in a friendly manner as I said good morning to him. A few weeks later a woman's body was found in a drive way a few doors down the street from where that joker was loitering.

The point here is this. Miscreants are predators and every predator without exception can smell fear. An armed citizen does not radiate fear. An unarmed citizen does. I grew up in the woods and wilds of West Virginia and I live one rule that is as inviolate as humanly and legally possible. With me, rule number one is to never ever be without a gun. The place for a self defense firearm is at your finger tips. A shotgun in the bed room when you are in the living room or outside is completely useless. That's when you read about someone getting shot with their own gun. The only time I don't have a pistol at my finger tips is when I don't have my pants or exercise shorts on. Then the doors are locked and a pistol is less than 10 feet away.

The absolutely worst possible situation to be in here in the USA is when the miscreants know you are unarmed. Here in Florida they used to hijack tourists on the interstates. They were targeting rental cars which had special licence plates. The creeps knew the tourists were from out of state and probably out of the country and so would be unarmed. All they needed was a car with a flashing blue light on the dash. When Florida changed the rental car licence plate policy the creeps then discovered that it was illegal to carry a firearm in a rest area. They promptly started hitting rest areas. They murdered some English guy along a rest area on I-10 several years ago. The state then changed that stupid policy. It was once illegal to carry a firearm into a federal wildlife area such as Merritt Island. After some photographers got robbed at gun point, that policy was changed.

Sorry to be so long winded but my experience is that to be unarmed is literally an invitation to be attacked. This has been shown so many times in so many localities that I feel like I'm trying to convince someone the earth is round. It is a free country and you certainly don't have to carry a gun if don't want to. In that case be cautious about your surroundings and try to show no fear if you do encounter a bad situation. As for me, I paid for the streets and I pay for law enforcement. I'll go where I please, when I please and stay within the law.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #61

1st cougar, I'm no more afraid to be without a gun than I am being without a working smoke detector. To answer your question , if I know there's a no firearms rule at a campground before I go, I'll pick a differant campground. Personally I'm not usually as concerned in the campground so much as to & from , gas stations, rest stops , etc. we did go to a privately owned campground last year that I didn't realize had a no firearm signs up inside the park that I didnt see till the next day. I asked the manager about it & I was told that that was directed towards the riff raff. He asked me if I had a gun with me, I told him I did, he than told me as long as nobody sees it, than there's no problem. Concealed is concealed that's that.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #62

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
why would you spend time doing that?
Because I invest in internet sites- what better way to decide where/how to invest?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I follow "attempted gun threads" on every site at which I'm a member, for the purpose of assessing each site's dedication to its own rules about/prohibitions against such topics, if avowed.

This site's remarkably inconsistent in that department...
I know I'm the new guy, but I fail to see the inconsistency. The fourth bullet under Community Rules, "...Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable..."

Quote:
This is pathetic...why do folks feel compelled to "sneak" forbidden subjects on to forums like this one?

Grow up!
If a site's dedication to its own rules is your thing:

• Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Sarcasm, belligerence, insults, ... are not acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunclm View Post
Yes! Plus the watch cat Backslash...
I know of a cat that attacked a coyote that was attacking a small dog. It was ugly, but everyone survived.

Quote:
...police protection is often too late to do much but put up yellow tape and take reports.
This has been my experience.

Quote:
...On board the coach while we travel: A large Golden Lab with a big deep bark, a couple of shotguns, an AR-15, a .308 Bolt action rifle, 3 Glock nines, 1 GLock fotyfiv, 2 S&W pocket revolvers, 1 Kahr PM9...
This is the guy I want to camp next to.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #64

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
...It is a free country and you certainly don't have to carry a gun if don't want to. In that case be cautious about your surroundings and try to show no fear if you do encounter a bad situation...
Thank you! I do not have anything more lethal than a 10 pump BB/pellet gun (which hasn't been fired in years) and have done just fine doing what you said. I don't have a problem with people (other than bad guys) having guns and support their right to have them but, for reasons of my own, I prefer not to have one.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Falling back on my early military training, when my wife and I hear noises from the front of our Motorhome, we form a skirmish line and proceed forward, clearing and securing the area as we go. Because of the confined area, we only use num chuks !!

I don't always drink beer, but when I do I drink Dos Equis !!!!!!!!!!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #66

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeaa View Post
If you have problems, call 911 and follow their advice. They will send people with guns immediately, if needed.
And all they can do is write the reports up after the fact.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #67

When seconds count, the police can be there in minutes...
Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #68

I have a fair amount of rifles and revolvers. I cast and reload my own ammunition from 800 to over 1200 fps. Hollow points to wadcutters. I don't have anything in my MH. That may change in the future but for now, I keep my stuff at home. It's America. I am free to choose.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #69

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I'm armed. I have one on each side.

I will second that, but what is more important than the arm on each side (Self defense wise) is the brain top and center...

I do not have fire arms less I screw up at the fire ring (And so far it's been a long, long, long time since I did that) (Over 30 years). But I do have defensive devices scattered about.

But the biggest "Weapon" have is between the ears.. Think. IF I open the door I am prepared to repel whomever is outside. I have a weapon in my hands that does not look like (Or get classified as) a weapon till it's used.

I an also 6'3" By over 300 pounds and usually.. That is enough.

Last real fight I got in I just moved and let the attackers "Hit the wall" as it were.. The wall was brick over concrete block, it's still there. The attackers, Well, they quickly retired from the fight.. No runs, 3 hits, 3 errors, I never took my hands out of my pocket.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #70

I may not know Ka-ra-te... but I know Cuh-ray-Z
Closed Thread