Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #1

Asking for some Advice about Insurance

We have a 2008 Newmar Dutch Star. Since 12 years the motorhome and car is insured with Progressive (in Oregon). We never had a claim.
In 2010 we paid less than $1,000 per year for the full package (Liability To Others, Personal Injury Protection, Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist, Uninsured Motorist Property Damage, Comprehensive and Collision). This year Progressive wants me to pay more than $3,100. It’s too much now! Comprehensive and Collision are the big factors.
I asked my insurance broker if they could find a cheaper insurance, but they didn’t give me a better quote.
We probably don’t travel very much this year. So I would like to lower the premium while the RV is in my garage. Do you have any advice for me how to get more affordable insurance?
PeterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #2

We had good service and $$$ with millerrvinsurance.com - ask for Cheryl
gmiller46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiller46 View Post
We had good service and $$$ with millerrvinsurance.com - ask for Cheryl
X2
Used miller and get quotes every year. No reason to stay loyal to any one company. Saw the same as you with rate increases. Good luck.

Enjoy the journey
Old 05-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #4

While not a method to lower your rates, on my older 5th wheel I have insurance based on stated value. My 5th wheel is in great shape and I use insurance to protect me against losses.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:47 AM   #5

Thank you for the advice.
I have tried to call Miller Insurance, but only reached the voicemail.
My email was rejected as spam. Pretty bad
Old 05-07-2020, 12:02 PM   #6

Here's the contact page for Miller Insurance Co. We used them for 16 years of full-timing and they always came through with a good deal for us. Pleasant people. Never a problem reaching them.

They're in Oregon so don't know the COVID-19 rules there of staying open. Perhaps they're closed at this time.

Contact | Miller RV Insurance
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You might try another independent insurance broker who should have access to a number of other insurance companies.
I just changed my carrier after +12 years, I had my broker check the value of our new house for replacement cost and at the same time they checked our other policies for autos and RV. He represents a number of different companies and ended up recommending Auto Home insurance. The house insurance dropped +30% and the RV could be included in the Auto policy and he was able to save me ~40% there but I did have them lower the value of the RV. I know it's not worth what is was when I first bought 10 years ago so lowering the value made sense and saved me ~$150/year.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #8

My recent experience is I went from GoodSam ~$2400 in 2018 to Progressive one year ago ~$1900 and yesterday my broker shopped around again and switching to Safeco for ~$1450. Also switched my home insurance to them so they likely helped some.
MCRV Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #9

I also lowered insured value on My class A to 160k for same reasoning as it’s 5 years old now so that helped rates
MCRV Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #10

Been a State Farm customer for nearly 55 years. While not necessairly the cheapest over the years, service and support has been oitstanding. And to me customer service can weigh heavily on decisions.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #11

I haven't been able to figure out Progressive. Had a bundle going for a couple of years that saved with the discounts. Then about 5 years ago, the home renewal premium jumped way up, if i remember correctly, around 33% with never a claim. Dropped Progressive home and had just the cars and the motorhome for another year or so. Within a couple more years, the auto premium rose to an unacceptable amount, at least to me. Again dropped and now with Hartford on the cars. Saved $100s and the renewal is good for a year.

On the other hand, the annual renewal on the motorhome has only gone up $110 since I took the policy out in 2010. Part of that increase includes the policy change to add glass coverage that I made a few years ago. Just got the renewal notice last month and see that the premium actually went down $2 this time.

Don't ask me?

Like others, I'd love to find a good company to stay with. However, that doesn't work out well because of all the jacking they do with premiums. I realize that increases are inevitable from time to time but the amount of them has been ridiculous the last few years.

OP, shopping around doesn't have to involve an agent or a broker. You might think about getting online to see what you can find.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #12

I am in touch with Miller Insurance, now. I'll keep you posted about the results.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

You can probably do better than $3100 but much will depend on the liability limits and deductibles you choose. Motorhome insurance costs have been jumping every year lately, but most insurers offer a new-customer discount and give you a good quote to get you to switch. Then increases come in year 2 & 3...

If you requested a fixed (agreed or purchase price) value, collision and comp rates will be substantially higher than market value.

Claims have become a relatively unimportant factor in premiums. Believe it or not, the location and your credit rating are probably the main influences outside the value and liability limits.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #14

I used Miller Insurance in OR for years. They are a broker and can shop for the best policy for you. Unfortunately after many years with them they could not beat Geico. I switched 2 years ago and just renewed for a 3rd yr. They combine my Jeep and Class A on one policy. Have my Harley, an Umbrella Policy and 3 rental properties also with Geico.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, insurance