Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 04:02 PM   #1

At a loss no power coming into my RV

I have had my electrician come and check the power on the pole outside when I plug into it and going to the RV it trips the breaker at the outside and I have no power coming in when I try to set the breaker outside at the box the will not set I could really use some help thank you it's a 1991 Fleetwood American eagle thank you again
Jnbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 04:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure I understand- are you having an electrician come or has he been there already? Whenever you are troubleshooting start at the source and then check the easy things first. Circuit breakers have a finite amount of operations before they fail. Any RV Park will have a person who replaces breakers because they need to. A kind of electrician may have verified power at the pole but a breaker may hold until it has load applied. Try to set the breaker without the RV plugged in. Then shut off the breaker at the pole, shut off the breaker in the RV and then turn on the breaker at the pole. Let us know what happens and what type of RV we are dealing with.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, reread my post and meant to say “turn off the breaker at the pole, turn off the breaker in the motorhome, plug in the motorhome and turn on the breaker at the pole”.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #4

Just because you have power at the box where you plug in, does not mean there is not a problem at the breaker or the outlet.
If the electrician did not put a load on the system, and only checked it with a meter doesn't mean the breaker won't trip.
If you have a surge protector avaliable, just plug it in without attaching the RV cord.
This will place a load on the system. If it trips the breaker, then there are 2 possible issues. 1. The spring tension in the breaker clamps where it connects to be buss have weakened. 2. The contacts in the receptical have lost spring tension and don't make good contact. In either case the breaker will trip once you initiate a load.
Also check your plug to make sure you don't have a ground fault.
billb3672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 04:38 PM   #5

What are you plugged into:

Old style 15 amp house-type outlet.

GFI protected 15/20 house-type outlet.

30 amp RV outlet.

Without that answer, we can't even take a "shot in the dark".

50 amp RV outlet.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:34 AM   #6

It sounds like there is a major problem in the RV shore power system. Could be as simple as a bad plug on the shore power cord.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankis View Post
Not sure I understand- are you having an electrician come or has he been there already? Whenever you are troubleshooting start at the source and then check the easy things first. Circuit breakers have a finite amount of operations before they fail. Any RV Park will have a person who replaces breakers because they need to. A kind of electrician may have verified power at the pole but a breaker may hold until it has load applied. Try to set the breaker without the RV plugged in. Then shut off the breaker at the pole, shut off the breaker in the RV and then turn on the breaker at the pole. Let us know what happens and what type of RV we are dealing with.
The electrician that put In my electric from the main pole came and rechecked his work but I checked all the breakers in the RV along with the fuses at one time the ac up front worked with the generator but now it doesn't I know it's something simple but I have to go buy a surge protector and try plugging it in but it tripped at the pole with the 50 amp and 30amp I will try the surge protector today and let you know thank you
Old 06-26-2021, 05:56 AM   #8

It is off when I plug in the RV but after I plug it in and try turn on the breaker at the pole it trips plugged into the 50 amp I have also tried with the 30 Amp and it tripped as well,
Old 06-26-2021, 05:57 AM   #9

I have it plugged up to 50 amp and I have also tried the 30 Amp and it tripped as well
Old 06-26-2021, 06:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankis View Post
Sorry, reread my post and meant to say “turn off the breaker at the pole, turn off the breaker in the motorhome, plug in the motorhome and turn on the breaker at the pole”.
it's a 1991 American eagle Fleetwood 40 ft
Old 06-26-2021, 06:04 AM   #11

Yes I was thinking the shoreline it self was bad I'm headed out to buy one today
Old 06-26-2021, 06:05 AM   #12

50 Amp RV
Old 06-26-2021, 06:15 AM   #13

If this is a new service install, did the electriction install a GFCI breaker in it ?

Hot tubs require them but not RVs.

Look for any markings or a test/reset button.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:22 AM   #14

Easy for you to test the 50 amp outlet to verify it is wired correctly:

Agree, not on GFI

Two outer straights are the HOTS (L1 and L2)
Center straight is NEUTRAL
Center round is GROUND

So, from either outer straight to either center= 120 VAC
Outer straight to outer straight= 240 VAC
Center straight to center round= 0 VAC

Same as in a house-type 50 amp.

30 amp RV is 120 VAC ONLY
One hot, one neutral, one ground

Different than many house-type 30 amp.

And, pretty easy to use an ohm meter to check your shore power cord. Check each end for continuity for each position, then check that no continuity from any prong on the male end to any other prong.

Tags
power, no power