Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #29

In Texas you can shoot people for this stuff, and it does happen. Attrition takes care of the problem for us....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #30

I store my RV at home and am home most of the time. I have witnessed one guy drive up and attempt to access the storage compartments and was gone by the time I saw him, put on some shoes and get out there. I had been unloading the compartment and he saw my tool chest. It was locked! Another guy came by and stuck a key into the dead bolt and attempted to force it breaking the key mechanism but leaving the bolt in place. My only alarm is a cut off if someone tries to drive it away.
The beauty of the motor home is it has one entrance. They can do the windows but that is not easy in and out! Alarmed and reinforced that door can be difficult for a thief. I have considered an alarm that is tied into my cell phone with a camera $$$$. It is how far you want to go.
Good luck with your security issues.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Heated discussion here it seems. I'll offer a usable suggestion -> an audible alarm when the RV door is opened. Not a fail-safe by any means, but might just be enough to scare off a potential intruder. Most burglars want to keep it quiet.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would never leave my motorhome unlocked. There are too many parts and radios and gadgets that someone might be tempted to take if it is easy. Also I can guarantee you someone will start using the potty.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I would never leave my motorhome unlocked. There are too many parts and radios and gadgets that someone might be tempted to take if it is easy. Also I can guarantee you someone will start using the potty.
Ditto. I don't want some bum sleeping in my MH!!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #34

The first couple of years that we lived here all was peaceful. Then we started getting late-night visitors who thought it was fun to set off fireworks outside our bedroom at 0300. We called the sheriff several times, but nothing ever came of any of our complaints, even when someone blew up the mailbox. A couple of years ago I put a motion-sensing alarm at the base of the driveway, with the receiver in the house. The transmitter is in plain sight, down by the road. Since then we've not had a single two-legged nocturnal visitor, although the deer set it off regularly.

DW has asked about taking that alarm with us when we retire. I don't see how it could work in a campground, since the beam reaches out 75-100 feet. Besides, we'd hear someone trying to break in when we're home, and we wouldn't hear the alarm when we're away. We'll just have to come up with something else then. Maybe our kitten will grow up to be an attack cat.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #35
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
The first couple of years that we lived here all was peaceful. Then we started getting late-night visitors who thought it was fun to set off fireworks outside our bedroom at 0300. We called the sheriff several times, but nothing ever came of any of our complaints, even when someone blew up the mailbox. A couple of years ago I put a motion-sensing alarm at the base of the driveway, with the receiver in the house. The transmitter is in plain sight, down by the road. Since then we've not had a single two-legged nocturnal visitor, although the deer set it off regularly.

DW has asked about taking that alarm with us when we retire. I don't see how it could work in a campground, since the beam reaches out 75-100 feet. Besides, we'd hear someone trying to break in when we're home, and we wouldn't hear the alarm when we're away. We'll just have to come up with something else then. Maybe our kitten will grow up to be an attack cat.
We replaced our front entry light with one of these. Works very well and has a small blinking light like a vehicle alarm when activated. Will also monitor your battery condition and cause the small led blinking light to change color if battery starts going south.
Smart Light 1000 - Motion Lighting 12 Volt - Star Lights, Inc.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #36

I have a small blinking red light that I place near a window.Will you break in to see if it is an alarm or go to the unit without the light?
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
I have a small blinking red light that I place near a window.Will you break in to see if it is an alarm or go to the unit without the light?
Where did you get this light?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
SarahW,

You can purchase the outside motion sensor light shown in above post at RV Upgrades, one of the sponsors of this forum. I installed ours last summer, works great.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #39

Freightliner Owners Club
many of you have broke the rules by mentioning protecting your property with, Weapons like Guns,what where ya'll thinking,you can't talk about killing someone cause they steal from you,just give it to them so they can buy food cause they don't work!
Just a reminder.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Where did you get this light?
I assembled mine from salvaged parts from a store display but I think Radio Shack sells something similar.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote