Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #1

Atwood fridge not lighting on LP

Hello everybody. I'm new to the forum and the RV scene but i'm having an issue that i'm hoping somebody can help me with. I have a 2015 Grand Design TT with an Atwood Helium fridge. It works fine on AC and sometimes it works fine on propane. I've been boondocking for a couple days now and the propane has worked perfectly. last night it stopped working and started beeping and flashing check and gas. it's done this before and usually it just starts working again a few days later with no interaction. This time i need to try to figure it out as i'm not planning to be back to AC for a little while. So far i:

have checked to make sure i'm not out of propane (stove works fine)
have checked to make sure i have a spark - i do, it's strong and i've even tried to light it manually with a lighter
have taken off the orifice and burner and checked that they're both clean and they are
have checked the flue and although it's not perfect it should be restricted (and even if it was i'm never getting any flame at all so it's not an airflow or overheating issue)
have removed, cleaned and reattached the terminals on the side of the black solenoid (assume that's what it is) attached to the top of the gas valve
have slowly removed the nut holding the rubber gas line to the left side of the gas valve (attached to the solenoid) and confirmed i can smell gas when i loosen it
have confirmed the on/off knob to allow fuel flow is in the on position

when i try to shut the fridge off and back on it goes through its series of sparks for 30 or so seconds but never lights. being that i could smell gas when loosening the rubber hose but i can never smell it when it's trying to light i'm leaning towards that the solenoid is bad and not turning the valve
on. i'm curious if you all would agree and if so if there's a way that i can potentially bypass or jump it to see if it works before just buying a replacement part.

Thank you all very much in advance.
bs023521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #2

Very LITTLE specific info available on the Atwood HE fridges.
They were only in production for just a few years and then Dometic purchased Atwood in 2014 and discontinued production

On lower circuit bd.......right side is a 10 pin connector(J-15) with 6 wires
Pins are Numbered as follow:
(left side bottom to top)
1----12V DC POS to Thermal Switch on Burner Stack

2----12V DC POS from Thermal Switch back to circuit bd

3----12V DC POS TO Gas Valve Solenoid **only has voltage for 6-8 seconds when Spark Electrode is firing
(3 is the one you need to test ----if it has voltage and gas valve solenoid is NOT opening....bad solenoid/connections)
4----Ground side of gas valve solenoid
5----12V DC POS to External Fan (if equipped)

(right side bottom to top)
6-----Ground side of External Fan
7-----Unused
8-----Ground Source ---unused
9-----Unused
10----Ground Source --unused

You can also check resistance of gas valve solenoid
Disconnect POS & Ground wires from solenoid
Use voltmeter to measure resistance.....should be 48 ohms

Replacement parts are VERY scarce .....Dometic doesn't produce them
Only what is left at dealers, vendors, on shelves.

New gas valve assembly Atwood 14035
https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/a...-valve-assy-2/

Some info about Atwood HE Model (Operation/Diagnostic/Parts List)

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.co...0801-Rev-4.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #3

I had one of those HE refers for a couple of years and never had a minutes trouble out of it. It pretty much works like any other propane fridge except I believe there are a couple of over temp switches on the chimney somewhere.

Basically, all you need for it to light is a spark and some propane. Also, the spark has to be in the propane stream to get ignition. Just smelling propane is not a good test for the presence of propane. You could likely throw the fridge in the dump and go back 2 years later and still smell propane on the fittings.

It sounds like the electric valve is not opening but I wouldn't condemn the valve without checking for over temp devices that will keep the valve closed. You could try leaving the fridge off for long enough for everything to cool down. That should allow any over temp switches to auto-reset. Also there is a small manual valve near the propane burner but that is likely open since the fridge has been working.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I had one of those HE refers for a couple of years and never had a minutes trouble out of it. It pretty much works like any other propane fridge except I believe there are a couple of over temp switches on the chimney somewhere.

Basically, all you need for it to light is a spark and some propane. Also, the spark has to be in the propane stream to get ignition. Just smelling propane is not a good test for the presence of propane. You could likely throw the fridge in the dump and go back 2 years later and still smell propane on the fittings.

It sounds like the electric valve is not opening but I wouldn't condemn the valve without checking for over temp devices that will keep the valve closed. You could try leaving the fridge off for long enough for everything to cool down. That should allow any over temp switches to auto-reset. Also there is a small manual valve near the propane burner but that is likely open since the fridge has been working.

Overtemp snap disc on boiler shuts down DC
So no DC to Gas Valve......BUT no DC for Spark

OP has Spark.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #5

I could not find a schematic for the refer. If OldBiscuit knows where one is a link would be helpful. From his responses it sounds like he might have found one. I did find a block diagram but it's not real helpful.

Perhaps the OP could check the fault codes for a resolution.

Here's a link to the manual showing fault codes and how to check them.

https://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodreefer.pdf
Old 02-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #6

Already posted it in tech support link........

And that link has the most comprehensive info available for the Atwood HE models

Not much more I can do for OP.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Already posted it in tech support link........

And that link has the most comprehensive info available for the Atwood HE models

Not much more I can do for OP.
Sorry, I thought maybe you found an actual schematic instead of just the block diagram like I saw. I guess manufacturers never supply real schematics these days.

No problem.

Looks like the OP went AWOL anyway.

Tags
atwood, fridge, light