Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2020, 05:10 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Auto Tire Store - Orange Beach AL

On the afternoon of Christmas Eve we got in the Expedition to go to the grocery and see a notice the LR tire is at 15#. We are in Orange Beach AL for the holidays, so I fired up the rig and filled the tire. I found a nail in it, pulled it and plugged the hole. The problem is that the hole is right at the edge of the tread where it meets the sidewall.

If I were driving it home, I might roll the dice and try to make it to Cincinnati where I have preferred vendors. However, we are pulling it behind the MH and, even though we have a TPMS, I would rather fix the issue here, i.e., replace the tire.

The OEM tires are Toyos and I would like to keep a matched set. If anyone has a good recommendation for a tire shop between Mobile and Pensacola, please let me have it. I appreciate y’all’s input.
Shutterbug57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2020, 05:58 AM   #2

I've had excellent service from the guys at Tires Etc. in Milton, Fl.

They have a second location in Pensacola.

117 E 9 Mile Rd, Pensacola, FL

https://tiresetcllc.com/

Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:10 AM   #3

We had tires put on at Cosco in Mobile.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #4

You should be able to locate a good tire store along 59 in Gulf Shores.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:07 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the input. We found a Mavis Tire about 6 miles away and they are a Toyo dealer.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
UPDATE : the tire arrived and is installed. There was good and bad:

The good:
- the tire is fresh, 37th week of this year
- the tire required only 1.25 oz of weight.
- the install tech was quick and generally did a good job up until torque time

The bad:
- they did not honor their own web site pricing. The web page was for the store I went to. Their asinine explanation was that it was the same as Wal-Mart charging different prices than Amazon. As we discussed this, the clerk became more belligerent and the explanation for why they don’t honor the prices on their own web site became even more bizarre.
- the tech was going to torque the lugs at 80# for a 2019 Expedition. The book is 150#. When I pointed this out, he stated they did not have a torque wrench that went that high. This is a major safety issue. I pulled out my torque wrench and torqued the lugs myself.
- I also got part of the receipt for another patron who may wonder where the rest of her receipt is.

All things considered, I would give Mavis a D. They could get the tire I wanted, but it took 2 days. Then the pricing and torque fiasco was unsatisfactory. In to the end, we got the right tire and are back on the road. I should have confirmed that they would honor their own web page pricing - lesson learned. However, the lack of proper tools to put folks back on the road safely is a MAJOR flaw in their business model. I would not recommend Mavis Tire and would not use them again.