Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2021, 04:43 PM   #43

Depends on lifestyle choices. If you prepare your own meals much of the time you can save a lot. We've shopped central Texas and lot prices were in the $500 a month range for full hookups. We used electric heat on an unmetered lot so propane costs were negligible.
Full timing is as much a life style choice as a cost issue. A couple has to be really compatible to move around in limited space and not get irritable.
Check on workampers.com and you will see many opportunities where a rv site is furnished as a perk
I
Charlesland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 05:32 PM   #44

My husband is a retired electrician, we worked on the road for about 25 yrs. we always had a fifth wheel because they are less maintenance especially when you are at a job for a few months. Rent depends on the area you are in. Sometimes you can get into a mobile home park a little cheaper if they takes rvs ( usually monthly minimum). Propane depends on how cold it is, it can go really quick in cold weather. Turn you water heater off during the day when not using it will save you on your electric bill. Ask guys on the jobs because there are a lot of travelers out there working on the road. Good luck!
Camppups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:50 PM   #45

I’m a pipefitter (LU 189)and have done what you’re planning to.
Reach out directly if you want to talk about it.
Happy to help if I can
Bob
azbronco96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #46

I lived in my RV while working out of town. I’m in Arizona. It was much cheaper than a hotel. I paid $150/month which included water and hookup. There was a laundry facility at the park that also had showers which came in handy the first time it froze. That is when I learned about heated water line. I had a couple of times where septic overflowed. Landlord fixed in timely manner. I was new to RV living. I was told by the dealer that insurance company would frown on me living in RV and to leave that part out while insuring through auto insurance co. Had to pay for internet because there was no WiFi. Was able to stream all television programs that I watched. That cost about $75/month. It was an adventure and YouTube was my friend whenever something happened. And something always happens. I lived in a smaller RV but it was brand new and that literally doesn’t mean a thing because everything gave me problems. It’s not like living in A house. I’m female and was away from my husband while working out of town. I was still able to fix what I needed to with a little research and some patience. It’s now used for vacations only. Good luck.
Mluna64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:51 PM   #47

I worked out of town from 2002 until I retired in 2018. I got paid a lodging and meal perdiem. There is nothing like sleeping in you own bed every night. As far as campground cost, that depends on where you are working. However I believe the hotel cost will always be more than campground rental. As for cost of rv, it is an investment similar to a vehicle. I retired with an older 45 foot Prevost Vogue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6FC13043-C133-42A1-84F9-CC0D5D3CDEE8.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	336492   Click image for larger version

Name:	79D26CBF-AF0D-4C2A-8012-6CB18EA37D81.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	336493  

Dperryind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:52 PM   #48

My experience with "stored indoors its whole life" means "you're not gonna know where the roof or window leaks are".
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:59 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
retiredLU 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
I'm a Union Pipefitter/welder and my wife and I travel for work all the time, we don't own a home, have no kids, and are constantly living out of hotels. I'm mechanically minded and good which a wrench. We're looking at buying an RV to live in full time to (hopefully) save some $$. If the deal we're looking at goes through (from a family member), we will have a 2000 Allegro Bay with 26k miles, and has been well taken care of and stored indoors it's whole life. I'm aware of things like needing new tires (I believe the tires on it are original and should probably be replaced), and maybe hoses (brittle from not being used?), but wanting to look at other monthly or unexpected costs.

Here's things i'm thinking about, but i'm sure there are other things:
  • monthly payment (we may can pay cash for it, but it'll make things tight. Maybe better to finance just part of it)
  • lot rent (how much are you guys paying? and where?)
  • propane (how often?) we have 2 induction burners we can use when running electricity, so maybe only propane when boondocking?
  • electricity/sewer (if not included in lot fee)
  • insurance (what type do we get?)
  • gas/fuel

I'm sure i'm missing lots, and I know we should have a chunk set aside for unexpected issues such as a complete motor rebuild (i've heard several people speak to that point).

I'm currently reading several different threads with newbie tips, but am curious what your average monthly costs for living in your RV is.

Thanks everyone!!
Hello Brother. Hope ypu and your family are well. What size Allegro? diesel or gas? We are in a 2021 Allegro red33aa for 9 months traveling country. This would be too small for most couples if traveling with belongings and tools. You may have downsized already if you are traveling hotels. The are some great facebook groups for Tiffin with tech help and other owner knowledge. Good luck and be safe.
GeorgeChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:00 PM   #50

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
I'm a Union Pipefitter/welder and my wife and I travel for work all the time, we don't own a home, have no kids, and are constantly living out of hotels. I'm mechanically minded and good which a wrench. We're looking at buying an RV to live in full time to (hopefully) save some $$. If the deal we're looking at goes through (from a family member), we will have a 2000 Allegro Bay with 26k miles, and has been well taken care of and stored indoors it's whole life. I'm aware of things like needing new tires (I believe the tires on it are original and should probably be replaced), and maybe hoses (brittle from not being used?), but wanting to look at other monthly or unexpected costs.

Here's things i'm thinking about, but i'm sure there are other things:
  • monthly payment (we may can pay cash for it, but it'll make things tight. Maybe better to finance just part of it)
  • lot rent (how much are you guys paying? and where?)
  • propane (how often?) we have 2 induction burners we can use when running electricity, so maybe only propane when boondocking?
  • electricity/sewer (if not included in lot fee)
  • insurance (what type do we get?)
  • gas/fuel

I'm sure i'm missing lots, and I know we should have a chunk set aside for unexpected issues such as a complete motor rebuild (i've heard several people speak to that point).

I'm currently reading several different threads with newbie tips, but am curious what your average monthly costs for living in your RV is.

Thanks everyone!!
Well, anything is better than living out of hotels.
Now with a MH, you should be on the move a good bit of the time.
Most of the Nomadic workers I've seen have 5th wheels or TT, cuz they're in one spot for months or more at a time.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:16 PM   #51

Be prepared for unexpected exspenses.
With have a 2007 Tiffin Allegro Bay front end diesel.
Tiffin carries parts for their motor homes back to 2008. We have electric leveling jacks that are no longer available.
We have a hydraulic emergency brake, parts no longer available. The repair for the brake is a conversion to a mechanical foot pedal. The conversion cost is $8,000 if you can find a Freightliner shop who will do the work.
We have hydraulic brakes. The Freightliner shop in Mesa will only work on air brakes.
You become dependent on the RV mobile repair guys. You can usually get their contact info from the park owners. Most of them are very fair and do good work. I did have one outfit in Arizona overfill the oil by over a gallon during a routine oil change. Fortunately no damage.
We purchased our 2007 rig in 2016 with only 38,000 miles on it.
Since then we have replaced all the flooring, wall paper, microwave, step motor, one leveler hack ( last one available), complete set of tires, all new batteries, water heater, AC gaskets, idler pulley, mattress, dining chairs, every faucet, all TV’s and now the emergency brake. All in all we’ve spent in the neighborhood of $21,000 in the past five years.
We Tavel from Missouri to Arizona and stay the winter and come home . Without any repairs it costs us $14,000 per year to own it and spend 5 1/2 months in Arizona.
Violaa8488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:50 PM   #52

As long as you understand there will always be something wrong that needs repair, more so if driving it from place to place.

Ask about your DEF system. Has QLS / Gen 2 CCV failed and been replaced? (Parts for Emissions Control Systems)

Insurance is around 2-4k a yr.

Is solar on it?
Original house and chassis batteries, tires are $400x6,
Motorhometiresdotcom...best place we found for mh tires.
Marty1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:07 PM   #53

I have been in the power industry for decades and have done it all, so to speak. We traveled with the kids in a mh for years until they were into school, I traveled by myself in the mh while they were in school. I've done the hotels, rented houses, condos and even rv's. Now I do more short-term assignments, fly and stay in hotel for 2-3 days then home. But NOTHING beats sleeping in your own bed, or having your wife comfortably cooking in HER kitchen. Plus the friends you make around the country in parks and campgrounds. I had per diem to cover the costs, all but the mh payment, so I was never concerned with the day-day costs, and has been said earlier, you will spend much less than you would at hotels. Especially if you have to eat out all the time. I will echo what was said earlier too, most of my friends and colleagues have 5ers or TTs since you are on site a month or more at a shot. We did a mh for traveling with the kids and it worked for us.

After all of the time we've spent on the road, with retirement looming we are on the hunt for a high end early 2000s DP so we can travel the country at our leisure.
I can't speak to today's costs, but I can say you will spend less, enjoy more, and moving day won't be such a hassle. You'll just have to change your own sheets now!
Best of luck,
Jerry
TurbineGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:42 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
A Suggestion 4 U

I would suggest that you join Xscapers a full timers group for younger working people - you will gleen a lot of good applicable information because they are currently doing exactly what you are thinking of doing. Xscapers is a sub-club of Escapees RV Club 936-327-8873 - great group and good discount programs...
Bob and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:46 PM   #55

Excellent advice here u can be frugile n it will go far I'm starting soon, a few wks here n there and will eventually in a few months be more FT than Part! I'd mention BLM land n State Parks, City Parks ect 14 day stints only but helps
gsevans65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:14 PM   #56

MR W.
Dude I feel you. I travel 30K miles around Texas annually and I love having my own bed. A stove and oven.
2000 Allegro should be a very good unit assuming the previous owner took care of it. before I share my expenses I encourage you to buy new tires. (not Goodyears)

We are full time so our insurance reflects that. Progressive ins annually $1,281
If you are full time make sure you advise the carrier of that.

Mo Rent. We are in Texas and travel in Texas. We stay out to the city. A rural site for us runds around $480.
Electricity last month was $143.00 June 2021
We have an internal tank I once filled up. We got an external cause it is a PITB to disconnect the RV and go fill the tank and then set back up
Propane cost in the winter is about $35 a month. Heating and cooking is the only LP consumption.
You will want/need items. In my experience
1. A total electrical protector. It is imparative, i.e. surgeguard product.
2. Adjustable water pressure with dial reading.
3. 20 jack pags.
4. Stinky slinky clear elbow that goes into the sewer.

We sold every thing and moved into our Bounder in 2017 and I;m nit sure I will ever own another home.

Good Luck with your adventure!
ucaatexas is offline   Reply With Quote