Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2021, 09:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Average Monthly Costs to live in RV?

I'm a Union Pipefitter/welder and my wife and I travel for work all the time, we don't own a home, have no kids, and are constantly living out of hotels. I'm mechanically minded and good which a wrench. We're looking at buying an RV to live in full time to (hopefully) save some $$. If the deal we're looking at goes through (from a family member), we will have a 2000 Allegro Bay with 26k miles, and has been well taken care of and stored indoors it's whole life. I'm aware of things like needing new tires (I believe the tires on it are original and should probably be replaced), and maybe hoses (brittle from not being used?), but wanting to look at other monthly or unexpected costs.

Here's things i'm thinking about, but i'm sure there are other things:
  • monthly payment (we may can pay cash for it, but it'll make things tight. Maybe better to finance just part of it)
  • lot rent (how much are you guys paying? and where?)
  • propane (how often?) we have 2 induction burners we can use when running electricity, so maybe only propane when boondocking?
  • electricity/sewer (if not included in lot fee)
  • insurance (what type do we get?)
  • gas/fuel

I'm sure i'm missing lots, and I know we should have a chunk set aside for unexpected issues such as a complete motor rebuild (i've heard several people speak to that point).

I'm currently reading several different threads with newbie tips, but am curious what your average monthly costs for living in your RV is.

Thanks everyone!!
Mr.Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
If the deal we're looking at goes through, we will have a 2000 Allegro Bay with 26k miles, and has been well taken care of and stored indoors it's whole life. I'm aware of things like needing new tires (I believe the tires on it are original and should probably be replaced), and maybe hoses (brittle from not being used?), but wanting to look at other monthly or unexpected costs.

Here's things i'm thinking about, but i'm sure there are other things:
  • monthly payment (we may can pay cash for it, but it'll make things tight. Maybe better to finance just part of it)
  • lot rent (how much are you guys paying? and where?)
  • propane (how often?) we have 2 induction burners we can use when running electricity, so maybe only propane when boondocking?
  • electricity/sewer (if not included in lot fee)
  • insurance (what type do we get?)
  • gas/fuel

I'm sure i'm missing lots, and I know we should have a chunk set aside for unexpected issues such as a complete motor rebuild (i've heard several people speak to that point).

I'm currently reading several different threads with newbie tips, but am curious what your average monthly costs for living in your RV is.

Thanks everyone!!

Have you taken a look at YouTube? There are a number of folks who have taken a deep dive into explaining what it is costing them to full time.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you have the perfect job for FT'ing.
It can get quite expensive to pay per/day. If you are staying at your work sites for at least a month than you can get the cost way down. In many places 500-800 dollars a month seems to be what I've heard. We're just getting started so I'm still trying to figure this out as well.
Give FT'ing a try and figure it out as you go. As mentioned, youtube has many videos but each persons wants/needs can be very different.
Good luck.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #4

Carolina Campers
What you pay is based entirely on where you end up.

We are in an RV part near Wheeling, WV that caters to pipe fitters/welders. We aren’t in that occupation as we are retired, my husband was an engineer. Dave, the owner of the park caters to the nomadic workers. He charges $600 a month, full hook up. Awesome cell signal for Sprint and Verizon. He doesn’t have many amenities but the spot is great. We are right on the Ohio River across from Brilliant, OH between just to the south of Wellsburg.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #5

I'll bet the cost to live in the RV would come out much lower than primarily staying in motels. Check out Thousand Trails, it might work for you. (We use it (not FT) and it saves a lot of $. Total cost should be less than the average rent on a 1 BR apartment in many areas excluding original purchase of RV and vehicles. Apartments in MN are running a minimum of $1,000 /month (much higher in Twin Cites area). Need to make sure you aren't going to be based up North when it gets cold.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #6

How much does it cost monthly for you right now.....

Living FT in an RV is not cheaper, just a different way to live

CG Sites fees...Location & time of year determines pricing
Daily is Most expensive, weekly a bit cheaper, monthly best pricing
*Some monthly includes water/sewer/electric.....most monthly is water/sewer PLUS metered electricity
Monthly Rates can be $450 plus electric...........over $1000 plus electric

Fuel..........that depends on how much/how far you travel

Insurance....should look into a Full Timers Insurance
Similar to type of coverage you would have on a S&B Home

Propane.......depends on size/gallons tank capacity
We used propane a lot and would consume 7 gallons per 4-6 weeks summer time. Same 7 gallons would last 2-3 days in winter with really cold temps (we cooked using propane---winter cooking/furnace usage)

Folks FT on $2000/month or $4000/month
Depends on their 'life style' (No debt/debt or spending habits)

We FTd on $2200/month
Rarely stayed more then a week/2 weeks...we FTd to travel
Debt free (no Monthly fees for vehicle/RV, no revolving CC balances)
Fuel was highest cost item (frequent moving and LOTS of exploring local areas)
CG sites were lowest cost item (Membership via Resale, PassPort America Discount, City Parks, COE/State/National Parks, Fairgrounds, Boondocking)
FT Insurance was paid yearly and was reasonable
Put 10% monthly into Saving/Emergency Account

We were Retired
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
How much does it cost monthly for you right now.....

Living FT in an RV is not cheaper, just a different way to live

CG Sites fees...Location & time of year determines pricing
Daily is Most expensive, weekly a bit cheaper, monthly best pricing
*Some monthly includes water/sewer/electric.....most monthly is water/sewer PLUS metered electricity
Monthly Rates can be $450 plus electric...........over $1000 plus electric

Fuel..........that depends on how much/how far you travel

Insurance....should look into a Full Timers Insurance
Similar to type of coverage you would have on a S&B Home

Propane.......depends on size/gallons tank capacity
We used propane a lot and would consume 7 gallons per 4-6 weeks summer time. Same 7 gallons would last 2-3 days in winter with really cold temps (we cooked using propane---winter cooking/furnace usage)

Folks FT on $2000/month or $4000/month
Depends on their 'life style' (No debt/debt or spending habits)

We FTd on $2200/month
Rarely stayed more then a week/2 weeks...we FTd to travel
Debt free (no Monthly fees for vehicle/RV, no revolving CC balances)
Fuel was highest cost item (frequent moving and LOTS of exploring local areas)
CG sites were lowest cost item (Membership via Resale, PassPort America Discount, City Parks, COE/State/National Parks, Fairgrounds, Boondocking)
FT Insurance was paid yearly and was reasonable
Put 10% monthly into Saving/Emergency Account

We were Retired
A couple follow-up questions on your post. I'm assuming S&B home means a regular house, but what does S&B stand for?

As far as travel, I'm sure at some point we'd like to travel and see the country, but for now, I'm mainly looking for places like "southernlady" mentioned above catered to nomadic construction workers. Most of the power plants/job sites i've worked have RV parks nearby, and several of my co-workers end up staying in them. I have a co-worker who is currently staying in a Moose campground for $250/mo, which sounds really freaking nice.

Our current hotel is around $1500/mo, but we have stayed in cheaper, but always more than $1300/mo.

Do you find that if you are someplace for several months that you end up having to change spots at the campground often? Also, when parked for that long, do you need to crank and drive around some for the RV's sake?

We would probably tow our Civic as our daily driver, which also adds the expense/time of a dolly, etc.

We are currently debt free (unless we end up doing a loan for part of the RV), we don't currently have kids (maybe soonish?), and are very good with our money. We stay home most of the time, and are really just looking for a home that can go with us and remove some of the stress/headache of "moving" all the time.
Mr.Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #8

S&B ====Stick and Brick (House)

Moose Lodge....some have a few CG Sites and usually at good pricing
Thought they required membership like ELKS

Long term Monthly sites....you park/stay parked until you move

RV Parked (MH) ...no you do not need to start/drive it
Best to not because you should NOT just IDLE it and if you drive it you need to get everything up to operating temps to be of any good
Doesn't hurt to have it sit ----if you have a generator you should start/use it monthly ----50% load to keep it operational

Here is a CG Review website......check out CGs in/around areas you are/will be working
https://www.campgroundreviews.com/

TIRES.....older then 7 yr per DOT stamp on sidewall ______REPLACE

More questions/just post them .......folks will answer

Good Luck!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #9

There's a full-timing section on this forum to explore past posts on budgets. Also use the Search feature on this forum for 'budgets'.

Do a Google for RVing budgets and many sites appear; including YouTubes.
Here's one:

https://rvinspiration.com/full-time-...ll-time-rving/

No one can give one that you can definitely go by. It just depends on your wants and needs. RV park costs are all over the place in terms of prices. It depends on the locale, amenities, etc. If you can do with a 'plain Jane' park naturally it will be cheaper than one with a pool, clubhouse, etc.

Don't forget to add in your utilities, food, extra expenses, SAVINGS ACCT., medical and vehicle insurance, etc.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two things that you may want to consider about a 2000 RV. There are RV parks that have a 10 year rule. It's a way for them to turn you away if your 20 year old RV looks crappy. And, many lenders won't give a loan on an RV over 10 years old. A 20 year old RV is almost fully depreciated and has little value to banks
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:12 PM   #11

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJFogelberg View Post
I'll bet the cost to live in the RV would come out much lower than primarily staying in motels. Check out Thousand Trails, it might work for you. (We use it (not FT) and it saves a lot of $. Total cost should be less than the average rent on a 1 BR apartment in many areas excluding original purchase of RV and vehicles. Apartments in MN are running a minimum of $1,000 /month (much higher in Twin Cites area). Need to make sure you aren't going to be based up North when it gets cold.
Three of the pipeline workers who were here when we pulled in in Jan left to head to MN in January. They pretty much go where sent. The ones who left here, stored their RV’s in the area til the weather warmed up.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My parents lived in a small mobile home park that also had lots available for rent and people would bring in RV's. They had both seasonal, monthly, and weekly. Made it convenient for us when we visited but sometimes they didn't have sites open.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #13

As mentioned above finding a lender that will write a loan on a 20 year old RV is very hard to find, most have a 10-12 year max age limit, though some credit unions will push that limit some. I was able to finance mine at 14 years of age through a local bank, but this is a bank where I and my family have a substantial relationship, and not your typical situation.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #14

The last 3 years of my career we lived in our 5th wheel instead of motel or renting an apartment. (Company changed policy and wanted Project Managers on site instead of at the home office). We saved a little money but not a lot. With the RV payment and lot rent we averaged close to $1,000.00. On top of that was usually an electric bill. The advantage to us was we slept in the same bed regardless where we were and spent less money eating out.

The company paid for moving the 5th wheel so no out of pocket expense for that.

We also got a 4 day weekend every month to return to our home.

We ended up with some equity in the 5th wheel when we sold it. So that contributed to some savings.

I would do it again instead of staying in a motel even if there was no savings.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote