Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2020, 02:34 PM   #1

Avoiding Cigarette Smoke

I am very sensitive to tobacco smoke and try to avoid it whenever possible.

I always ask for the end site or site with some ventilation whenever I make a reservation.

The last two times I’ve been to the campground they were very smoky and I’ve been unable to avoid the smoke even after requesting and moving to a new site.

Any idea what I can do to stay away from cigarette smoke short of not going to the campgrounds?

Thank you.
stuartbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Unfortunately hard to avoid at times.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The only thing I might add to what you are already doing is try to determine the prevailing wind in the area and look for a site as far upwind as possible.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife is als sensitive to second hand smoke. We have been known to leave a restaurant because of smoke drifting over.

I know the feeling and would love to hose them down.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #5

What about the smoke from a campfire?
I don't think it's any safer than cigarette smoke.

We've stayed in campgrounds where the smoke from campfires cover the entire area.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #6

Once in a while, I have had a campfire as my wife and I especially, love smores... The older kids to too! As soon as I see the smoke or wind heading for someone else RV or area.... I get the hose and put it out.

Truth is, before I even light the fire, the hose is out and close by because the smoke is almost always a problem and rarely does what I want it to do. I usually only have 2-3 pieces of wood burning low but it doesn't matter... smoke does what it wants.

MANY others dont care and only care about themselves and their enjoyment and not how it affects others.

Now cigarette or cigar smoke.... Nobody seems to help us get rid of that problem... unless we find a smoke-free campground like most of the hotels and resorts have changed over to. We smell it and the wife jumps into action running in and closing all the doors, windows, and vents before it gets inside.

Good Luck!
2019 Fleetwood *SOLD*
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #7

If you're outside breathing the "fresh" air, there isn't much you can do, but if you are inside, you can close up and run the AC or heat. Go to RVAir.com and get good filters to clear the air.

They work really well for us.

HTH

Tom
Old 02-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #8

I have COPD and allergies combined. I often have an attack when I get a lung-full of smoke. It is my problem, If I'm having problems I change my location or go inside.
Our MH has the high-guality household smoke and allergen filter installed,changed 2X a month, regardless of what the MH mfgr says.When the outside air is saturated with campfire smoke or a neighbor is smoking I stay inside with clean air.Like I said, it is MY problem.
When/if it becomes necessary we will sell the MH and stop RVing. I will not attempt to blame others for my problems.

I like this quote from President Roosevelt, "complaining about a problem without posng a solution is called, whining".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #9

Cigarette smoke filters

Thank you to the several people who posted about my difficulty with cigarette smoke.

Some folks posted about high-quality air filters. Our coachman 21 foot travel trailer apparently leaks because it gets smoky inside when we were in a smoky campground. We have an extra filter attached to the rigs Air Conditioner +2 standalone filters that are HEPA or HEPA like.

They just don’t do the job. I wake up in the middle of the night sick with a smoke and take a Zyrtec and try to go back to sleep.

Please post the brand and model of a high-quality air filter you use and I’ll buy one immediately!

It is only cigarette smoke and only certain brands of cigarette smoke that makes me so sick. I was in Ybor city, the cigar capital Tampa, and had no real difficulty. Even though the smell bothers me it doesn’t make me sick.

Campfire smoke doesn’t bother me at all unless the fire pit is full of leftover cigarettes from one of the three brands that make me so sick.

I certainly empathize with the people have other sorts of airborne allergies and I’m hoping for the day when the campsites begin to at least have non-smoking sections for those of us to breathe.

In the meantime I always write a one star review for each of the campgrounds that leave me ill at the end of the visit. I’m hoping if the site gets enough one star reviews the management will at least set aside a small section of non-smoking sites that we can reserve in advance.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I have COPD and allergies combined. I often have an attack when I get a lung-full of smoke. It is my problem, If I'm having problems I change my location or go inside.
Our MH has the high-guality household smoke and allergen filter installed,changed 2X a month, regardless of what the MH mfgr says.When the outside air is saturated with campfire smoke or a neighbor is smoking I stay inside with clean air.Like I said, it is MY problem.
When/if it becomes necessary we will sell the MH and stop RVing. I will not attempt to blame others for my problems.

I like this quote from President Roosevelt, "complaining about a problem without posng a solution is called, whining".
Great post and Thank you for your service!!
Dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My opinion

If you parked next to me, and have an allergic reaction to smoke, I, (me, no one else) would NOT be offended if you asked or told me about your condition.
I am a smoker, but, I always try not to include others in my habit.
Just my opnion,

Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:11 AM   #12

As a former smoker (40 years ago) I try to not be "that guy"... the rabid ex-smoker dude who rants about cigarette smoke. Most of the time it's easy as so many jurisdictions have effectively banned indoor smoking in public accommodations (restaurants, bars, hotel rooms, even rental houses and apartments).

The sad thing - even outdoors, cigarette smoke doesn't magically dissipate. My local Kroger store's main entrance smells like an ashtray even though smoking is banned within 25 feet of entrances - in a geographic area with an average wind speed faster than walking...

I very much appreciate the considerate smokers who ask or look around to see if their smoking might be a problem. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #13

Stuartbell, my MH has a basement heat pump, like a household unit, I use Filtrete brand 14"X20" air filters, they cost about $15 ea.
Filtrete also makes sheet-style filter material for some brand of air conditioner that may be cut to size. This worked for me when we owned a 5er with two roof units. I found it at a WalMart.
Have you considered a stand-alone air filtration unit to use in the bedroom? I have one of those in our house that I used to use in the last 5er.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #14

Not blaming the smokers

I don’t mean to sound like I’m blaming the smokers. They have the same rights to enjoyment as I including, I suppose, the rights of heavy drinkers to drive after drinking a good amount.

We have a MIRV house filter on our home heat pump plus 5 HEPA or similar in our home. Our smaller trailer has a central MIRV 8 plus a charcoal and filter on the coach ac. We also have 2 HEPA like and charcoal ugh filters in the coach plus an ozone generator.

When my neighbor smokes, I get sick. Eating dinner outside is a risk.

I can’t really see how do filter better, but I keep hoping for a non-smoking area in the campground. Other than 1 star reviews, I’m out of ideas.

Asking politely sometimes works but is risky.