Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #43

When the wind blows put the awning in. All these poles and straps are are only so good.he big screws can hit electrical or water services too! Despite rules some are not deep enough to prevent damage.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #44

Save your cash on the expensive augers and pick up some dog tie out augers from the Dollar Tree for....$1. They also have 6ft plastic coated cables too.
Bungee cords loosely-ish secured instead of springs.
I use straight tent stakes from harbor freight if i cant get the auger in the ground. I also have a dead blow mallet i call "the influencer".
I also have a set of deflappers left by PO.

I usually dont bother with all that unless its gusty. Hubby and I can deploy and store the awning pretty quickly. In NC usually not even a breeze where we are unless a storm is coming in and well...its getting stored anyway. Lol
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
When the wind blows put the awning in. All these poles and straps are are only so good.he big screws can hit electrical or water services too! Despite rules some are not deep enough to prevent damage.
You're just jealous......lol
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #46

Awning Anchor Straps - anyone ever try them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
You're just jealous......lol

Or wise, IMHO!
We are on the North (shady) side of our rig tonite (nite 1 of 4) in Utah. No. Awning. Required!!
About half of the peeps here have their awnings out. Why? I don't know! (Third base).
Even for an overnight stay, they simply MUST put out the awning, though the sky will be clear for days, and the sun will not shine on their patio.
The plethora of tea lights is another interesting wonderment. [emoji51]
Anchors are for long-term camping. And in the Southwest, anchors are a recipe for damage (long or short-term) to the folks from other regions with no experience with killer gusts.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #47

I tie my awning to my picnic table. We went to town & while gone, bad storm(s). One camper in park had 1 arm broken & popup tent was twisted. No issues with mine
bbj0227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:09 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbj0227 View Post
I tie my awning to my picnic table. We went to town & while gone, bad storm(s). One camper in park had 1 arm broken & popup tent was twisted. No issues with mine

Welcome to iRV2!
Our awning is "in" until needed. Knowing what is the shady side is our secret awning saver. [emoji6]
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:14 AM   #49
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbj0227 View Post

Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:04 AM   #50

ZzzzYzczzzcxzzzzzzzz
Old 08-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Or wise, IMHO!
We are on the North (shady) side of our rig tonite (nite 1 of 4) in Utah. No. Awning. Required!!
About half of the peeps here have their awnings out. Why? I don't know! (Third base).
Even for an overnight stay, they simply MUST put out the awning, though the sky will be clear for days, and the sun will not shine on their patio.
The plethora of tea lights is another interesting wonderment. [emoji51]
Anchors are for long-term camping. And in the Southwest, anchors are a recipe for damage (long or short-term) to the folks from other regions with no experience with killer gusts.
He's a friend from another forum......
Old 03-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
We were camping last month, went for a walk on a calm quiet mid-morning. Halfway around campground, wind blowing on a point out in lake. On way back, saw 1 awning flipped over top of camper & another twisted. Returned to ours & all is ok but when i went to retract, motor strained due to resistance of wind. No problems but the suddenness that came up could have gotten anyone. Wind was 15+ for 6 hours on a 75 degree day
bbj0227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
Save your cash on the expensive augers and pick up some dog tie out augers from the Dollar Tree for....$1. They also have 6ft plastic coated cables too.
Bungee cords loosely-ish secured instead of springs.
I use straight tent stakes from harbor freight if i cant get the auger in the ground. I also have a dead blow mallet i call "the influencer".
I also have a set of deflappers left by PO.

I usually dont bother with all that unless its gusty. Hubby and I can deploy and store the awning pretty quickly. In NC usually not even a breeze where we are unless a storm is coming in and well...its getting stored anyway. Lol
I second this option and i use them for our dogs too everywhere we camp.

We used them to keep the awning from going curclunk all the time everything there is much wind ours has a movement built in and it can drive a man nuts cuclunk curclunk all night long. But if it is extremely windy we roll up. I think in over 25 years of camping i have put our awning up a dozen times because of wind and never had one blow off tear up or anything like that.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #54

Never had our awning blow over, but did have a sudden storm come in while we were away. All the rain cause our awning to break in the middle due to rainwater collecting. Did not have a self dumping awning and did not have it properly tilted for drainage. That was an $1100 mistake.
bixler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #55

Heavy metal tent stakes, Wal Mart just a few dollars. Then one inch wide ratchet straps, again Wal Mart or anywhere, maybe $15 at most. I use two through the "J" hook pounded into the ground at a reverse angle of the straps. Straps themselves are looped over the awning barrel, as mentioned not the support arms. Leave some slack in the straps.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #56

Don't you think the awning will flap some if not supported from the bottom?

Tags
awning