Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2021, 09:49 PM   #1

Awning and those who go bump in the night.

Not running into awning arms but more of how do ya keep/or try to keep bugs from rolling up in your awning at the end of the evening? I turn the porch light out early then roll up an hour later. Canvas material and cleaning it more than the coach. Just trying to to limit my ladder time [emoji6]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2021, 09:58 PM   #2

In all my years Camping/RVng I never even gave it a thought

They get rolled up...they die....I use a sprayer to clean Awning
Spray under side with your favorite cleaner
Then spray topside as you retract it

Have a drink or two....

30 minutes/extend awning and rinse

No Ladder required
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:12 PM   #3

In all the years of camping, I've only had to roll the awning in at night maybe 10 times when high winds were forecast. Otherwise, it stays out for the duration of the trip. Curious here, OP, why do you roll it in every night?

As far as bugs go, I guess we are lucky that we've never had a problem with them getting mixed up with the awning. There are usually leaves, pine straw, a few twigs on top before rolling up and they are easily removed with a long broom. I extend and clean it at home about once a year.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
In all the years of camping, I've only had to roll the awning in at night maybe 10 times when high winds were forecast. Otherwise, it stays out for the duration of the trip. Curious here, OP, why do you roll it in every night?

As far as bugs go, I guess we are lucky that we've never had a problem with them getting mixed up with the awning. There are usually leaves, pine straw, a few twigs on top before rolling up and they are easily removed with a long broom.
If I'm not sitting under it, it gets rolled up. Even though it's got the ability to do it on it's own, wind/temp sensor, I would rather not rely on it. Cautious perhaps, but trying to do it right. Got an amazing 10 yr old rig and needing another 20 out of it. Looking for help with the bumper crop fly season on a otherwise flyless awning.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:40 AM   #5

Ours gets retracted at night and whenever we leave the CG

During our travels seen many a awning up on top of RV from winds

I'm not getting up at night to put it away or having to replace it upon return from out adventuring
Takes...what 1-2 minutes to retract/extend
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er2life View Post
Not running into awning arms but more of how do ya keep/or try to keep bugs from rolling up in your awning at the end of the evening? I turn the porch light out early then roll up an hour later. Canvas material and cleaning it more than the coach. Just trying to to limit my ladder time [emoji6]

Have you tried hitting it with a broom first?
Old 07-31-2021, 10:03 AM   #7

I'm with biscuit on the cleaning, real simple to spray with a cleaner and roll it up to soak. Then open and rinse. But I rarely sit outside under the awning. Too many bugs when temps are comfortable, to hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. I do open it a bit when it rains to act as an umbrella though and open it to dry after rain storms.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er2life View Post
If I'm not sitting under it, it gets rolled up. Even though it's got the ability to do it on it's own, wind/temp sensor, I would rather not rely on it. Cautious perhaps, but trying to do it right. Got an amazing 10 yr old rig and needing another 20 out of it. Looking for help with the bumper crop fly season on a otherwise flyless awning.
True, I have had to get up in the middle of the night a couple or three times when a sudden storm came in. Not my favorite thing to have to do, but at the same time, not a big deal. I've only found myself in that situation maybe five times in 30 something years.

One thing we have going for us is that ours is an older manual Dometic 8500 awning that came with the rig. I feel it's more robust than the newer electric awnings so am not as hesitant leaving it out. What I also think about is the wear and tear that frequent opening and closing might bring about.

Doesn't matter of course, not trying to change anyone's mind,,, just offering up what has worked for us. I did replace the fabric about 10 years ago, everything else is the 18 year old original.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:17 AM   #9

I'm with OB on awning use. When you understand weather, a gust front ahead of a thunderstorm or squall line can be well ahead of the actual rain. Wind can go from calm to 30-40+ in seconds and an awning destroyed in that short time. People are free to use their awning as they wish but just understand the consequences of leaving it out. Bad weather happens at night also. Flying awning pieces can be a hazard to other people also.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
I'm with OB on awning use. When you understand weather, a gust front ahead of a thunderstorm or squall line can be well ahead of the actual rain. Wind can go from calm to 30-40+ in seconds and an awning destroyed in that short time. People are free to use their awning as they wish but just understand the consequences of leaving it out. Bad weather happens at night also. Flying awning pieces can be a hazard to other people also.
I agree, winds/gusts can come up quickly and can cause a lot of damage. One thing in my favor that I forgot to mention,, is the awning's built in alarm system. The clunking sounds it makes when excess winds hit it definitely gets my attention whether I'm awake or asleep.

This is one of those things that a person has to weigh for themselves. Although it's easy to do, putting the awning in and out every day isn't something I want to do. I'm ready to take care of any repairs that might be needed if something unexpected happens.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #11

We rarely used our awning.... probably because we stayed at elevations where it was never too hot and the sun felt good.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #12

For your main question, I would roll and not worry.

If we are around we typically leave ours out. Even when too hot to site outside the shading provided to the side of the trailer helps keep it noticeably cooler.

Ours typically get bought in if we leave or due to weather.

At night I do get to cheat a bit, if I need to bring them in. I have an app for that and I can use my phone to bring them in.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:00 AM   #13

Appreciate the feedback everyone. I've come to accept that it's not going to remain flawless if we use it regularly. Spray it down with cleaner/roll up, crack one, up/rinse and let dry now and then and enjoy. My wife and OCD thanks you all.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:04 AM   #14

As nightfall approaches, I will frequently roll it up before the dew starts accumulating. I like for it to be dry if possible. Definitely, on last night of camping, I will do this so I am not rolling up a wet awning in the morning. Of course, if it is raining, it is wet, can't help that.

I do like to use the awning to shade the side of the TT, give the AC a fighting chance.

I rarely see bugs on the bottom side of the awning, as I roll my awning up, if I see something that is sticking to the top of the awning, I stop the motor, grab the broom, and knock it off, then continue rolling it up. I might also consider taking my little 18V Ryobi blower and blowing the awning off to dry it and blow bugs off. Haven't done that yet, but it is an option. All of this may extend a 30 second awning rollup into a 2-3 minute exercise. If it gets me another year or two of life from the awning, time well spent.

Tags
awning, hose