Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Awning clamps needed?

My MH has the Carefree manual awning with the aluminum cover. Do I still need the awning clamps to prevent accidental roll-out or does the aluminum cover prevent that? I will be taking a trip out west soon and don't want those high winds out there to ruin my vacation!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #2

I wouldn't take a chance. The clamps are cheap insurance and I definitely would not travel without them. I have a carefree omega slide awing without the aluminum cover that unrolled because I forgot to lock the clamps. I was luck no damage and was able to roll in back in correctly along the highway. But dumb luck was all it was and I only had to risk the wifes/own life to fix it while trucks were rumbling by at high speeds.

If you do have an awning mishap it could end up ruining your entire trip especially if you are in some remote place. I know I was getting buffetted around pretty good by winds in Texas and Arizona just last month (40-50 MPH gusting cross winds) when my mishap occurred. In Texas the speed limit is 80 MPH on two lane highways so oncoming trucks sometimes blast you pretty good with wind not to mention the high wind areas through both states where side winds of 35-40MPH are not uncommon. Even 50+ MPH happens in some areas frequently but I call it a day at that point and wait it out. Anyway better safe than sorry and I would not travel without my awning secured ever again.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #3

When I had a 1994 Airstream Land Yacht MH it had the alum. cover over the awning. Went on a trip through Oklahoma and ran into some very brisk winds and the awning opened right on out. I'd get them.

Tom

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Joe, I have the same aluminum cover on ours but I don't think that will prevent it from coming out. When I close the awning I take a velcro strip and go over the lock on the center of the arm. That little swivel thing at the center of the arm that stops the arms from coming out. Then I use a nylon zip tie over that. I don't know if this process is fool proof but I haven't had it come out yet and we've been thru some gusty winds while driving.
They do make a product that can be permanantly installed but I haven't gotten to that point yet.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The clamps are cheap, the awning is not. Good insurance to have them.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Not to steal the tread but do the power awnings need to be clamped too? If you clamp the arms together is that enough?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Funny, but not funny ha ha.....

Our first trip with our MH. The previous owner told me that awning was torn and needed new material. He had a ratchet strap holding it against the MH. We're in the middle of absolutly nowhere and it's windy. I was only going 50 and I hear a sound like a blown tire. Pull over and the awning is out and blowing over the roof. The aluminum covers didn't do anything. I don't know what these clips you are talking about. So here I am in the 40mph wind with air temp of 30 f trying to get it rolled back in. The mechanism was damaged and it wouldn't roll in. So I took it off completley. It was my only choice. Either that or risk damaging the MH as it blew around.

So the moral of the story is if there's something out there that's relatively cheap that will prevent this, take it from someone with experience, GET THEM!
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #8

Is this what everybody is talking about? Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock!
Does anyone have experience with the product?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Not to steal the tread but do the power awnings need to be clamped too? If you clamp the arms together is that enough?
Clamping the arms does absolutely nothing to stop the awning from unfurling. You have to stop the awning roller from turning which is independent of the arms.
I have never played an attorney on TV but I have given a deposition in a wrongful death suit regarding the operation of RV awnings.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Clamping the arms does absolutely nothing to stop the awning from unfurling. You have to stop the awning roller from turning which is independent of the arms.
I have never played an attorney on TV but I have given a deposition in a wrongful death suit regarding the operation of RV awnings.
Yup, my problem exatly. In the link above, the first picture on the home page is just what mine looked like. It seems that the arms stayed in and the awning unrolled and was like a sail over the top of my MH. Then the wind gust died and blew again, at which time one of the arms came unclasped and they began to bend... At this point I'm on my roof trying to figure this out. Next the roller is being slammed against the MH when the wind takes my "sail". Next the ends of the roller begin to come apart.

It was at this time that I said a few words that I'm not proud of. And I determined that I needed to get this "sail" off the side ASAP.

I can now remove an awning in under 2 minutes flat....
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks D, I see what you mean with clamping the arms. I was looking at the list of lock kits for different awnings and mine says not available. It's a carefree power awning. I had trouble with my rear bedroom window awnings being blown open and made a couple little hooks that fixed that problem.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Joe, I have the same aluminum cover on ours but I don't think that will prevent it from coming out. When I close the awning I take a velcro strip and go over the lock on the center of the arm. That little swivel thing at the center of the arm that stops the arms from coming out. Then I use a nylon zip tie over that. I don't know if this process is fool proof but I haven't had it come out yet and we've been thru some gusty winds while driving.
They do make a product that can be permanantly installed but I haven't gotten to that point yet.
Like this? I don't think it will keep an awning from un-furling from air under it, but it won't come open.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the comments guys! I will definitely put on some kind of restraints before making the trip!

George, I thought about that device, but I have read comments about the plunger not always lining up with the hole in the tube cap every time. Anyone have any experience with this!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 AM   #14

Is this a legitimate concern?
I hate to spend $50 on a travel lock if this is a 1:1M type of malfunction.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning