RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #1

Awning/Door rant!

In June we had to replace an awning arm - it was a bit bent where the gas shock connects, and that's where it gave way and bent further. We had it replaced.

Today we discovered how the original arm had become bent in the first place. If the main door is open while closing the awning, the arm can easily catch the edge of it. Then things bend.

I *did* manage to completely remove the arm and beat all of the bends back into submission so that the awning can be retracted with the top of the gas shock disconnected. But the bent spot is now weak so we're looking at another repair job.

OR...

Should we just do away with the awning altogether? Given the fact that the awning arm attaches to the body about 2 inches from the door hinge, I can't think of any way to prevent this from happening again. I'm beginning to think that a big mesh shade or batwing might be a better idea for shade. No, it's not automatic. But it's also not bendable metal. And it would never cost $250 or more for repair. (although it might cost $120 to replace if it blew away).

Current thinking - leave the awning retracted, find a replacement part somewhere, replace it ourselves. Save a couple $100. Then we have options. Still probably going to pick up a batwing and test it out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #2

My door has a gas shock on it that restricts how far it'll open.....
Old 09-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #3

Curious, what's a batwing?

I would replace the part but from then on, be careful to keep an eye on things when operating the awning.

Personally, from what I've seen, I'll stick with my manual awning. I feel it is heavier duty, it's easy, and I'm out there watching for obstacles/issues while operating it.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
My door has a gas shock on it that restricts how far it'll open.....
Us too! Not that it has ever worked. Probably gave out the first time a gust hit it in 2013
dixonge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #5

30 lb gas shock....
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Us too! Not that it has ever worked. Probably gave out the first time a gust hit it in 2013
Old 09-26-2020, 10:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Curious, what's a batwing?
https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/product...ghtweight-tarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
30 lb gas shock....
sounds good!
Old 09-27-2020, 07:17 AM   #7

Replace the awning arm yourself to save a few dollars. If you just get rid of the awning you devalue the unit and will still have to deal with whatever you replace it with. Maybe I am misunderstanding something here but can't you just remember to close the door when you open and close the awning and that will eliminate the issue ?
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Replace the awning arm yourself to save a few dollars. If you just get rid of the awning you devalue the unit and will still have to deal with whatever you replace it with. Maybe I am misunderstanding something here but can't you just remember to close the door when you open and close the awning and that will eliminate the issue ?
If we can find the part we'll definitely replace it ourselves. It's one of the few awning parts I can do myself, just barely. We have already decided to leave the awning on, for resale purposes.

Closing the door would mean opening and closing the awning without being able to see it, which has its own set of dangers. As it is, having the door open and standing on the ground outside is the easiest way to reach the button. We have remembered to move the door out of the way every single time except once...
Old 09-28-2020, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
If we can find the part we'll definitely replace it ourselves. It's one of the few awning parts I can do myself, just barely. We have already decided to leave the awning on, for resale purposes.

Closing the door would mean opening and closing the awning without being able to see it, which has its own set of dangers. As it is, having the door open and standing on the ground outside is the easiest way to reach the button. We have remembered to move the door out of the way every single time except once...
Let me guess,,, You have one of them entry doors that only opens to about 90 degrees. Not sure why but that seems to be a thing on a lot of the newer rigs these days.

As far as operating with door closed,, can someone stand outside while the other operates the switch? The person outside could yell something like "STOP" if anything started going awry.

Tags
awning, door