Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2022, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
As our RVs became more expensive, the cost of replacing things like awnings has gone insane. I used to angle my awning and tie it down and it always stayed out. I’m completely OCD about bringing it in even at night. The only exception being those rare occasions it’s cool enough to leave the windows open and a rogue rain storm would wake me up.

Insurance is great but once you make a claim your rates will skyrocket.
My old classic 8500 let's me know when it's time to bring it in. The clunking sound it makes in heavier winds is the perfect alarm. I've been awakened by the sound a few times over the years. I'll bring it in if I know something is coming, otherwise it stays out unless the tell tale clunking starts. Time will tell but I haven't lost an awning,,, yet.

I carry a high deductible so would not involve insurance to replace/repair the awning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2022, 09:44 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have one electric awning and one manual awning. They are only out when we are at the RV. If we leave or go to bed, the awnings are retracted and secured. In the almost 40 years of RVing, we have not lost an awning, but we have seen many destroyed by "idiots" that leave them out and go off for the day or leave them up all night.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:59 AM   #17

I've heard more than one RV technician say that awnings are one of their most common repair items. I'll stick with a Moonshade.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:15 AM   #18

When my awning was damaged by a dust devil a few years ago I filed a claim on my Progressive policy which they paid in full without a problem. At the time I had a zero deductible due to their "disappearing deductible" program so the only cost to me was the extra charge for adding a wind sensor, which I added to reduce the chances of this happening again.
When I got the bill for the renewal I found that my premium had decreased a few hundred dollars - I don't know about other states but in California it's my understanding that rate increases are not allowed because of claims on comprehensive as the damage is not considered to be anyone's fault.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 10:19 AM   #19

Awning lost from wind

Thought I was being rather cautious and safe, never leaving site with awning out. But on the road, at 62 mph, a freak 50-60 mph wind gust ripped the awning right off. Since then, have either removed the awning or used zip ties at the top of the bars when retracted. Probably overkill, but once was enough.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:55 PM   #20

i had my Fiamma awning flip right over my truck camper from a very sudden storm.it even swamped a bunch of fishing boats,including mine.the boats were being flung everywhere while everyone was trying to save their campsites.it was pandemonium.i never did get the fiamma parts as the factory was shut down after an employee blew his cork and went shooting.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:08 PM   #21

Sorry to hear about your awning. I had my awning out one day on my previous coach and a FedEx truck pulled in and knocked it off. They did pay for it. On our current coach…. We have the Girard Awning equipped with wind sensor. It automatically rolls in winds reach above 20 MPH.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 03:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
Thought I was being rather cautious and safe, never leaving site with awning out. But on the road, at 62 mph, a freak 50-60 mph wind gust ripped the awning right off. Since then, have either removed the awning or used zip ties at the top of the bars when retracted. Probably overkill, but once was enough.
PSA:

If you have anti-billowing locks on your awnings, make sure they are correctly adjusted. Ours were not, and one of the slide topper awnings self-deployed in a strong crosswind. It made a heck of a noise when it slammed back in (who knew the Bus had an ejection seat?), but stayed attached.

Once at the campground, I looked up how to adjust them and found *none* of them correctly adjusted.. Ours will not self-deploy now, no matter what.

Since then I have seen a number of incorrectly adjusted (i.e. useless) anti-billowing locks. I warn the owners when possible
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:15 PM   #23

We were traveling down a Texas secondary highway with our 5th wheel and thank goodness no one else was near us. A quartering wind took our whole awning off & tossed it on the roadside.

After that we secured the new one with a cable that was a very popular way to do about 10 yr. ago.... don't know if they're still used.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:24 PM   #24

I didn’t think about this before, but good old fashioned Easy Ups and their kin work just as well as an awning and can be staked down or collapsed in seconds with a couple of folks.
Lots cheaper to replace an Easy Up than an RV awning. Plus, you can move them as the sun shifts.
sgpd1sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:57 AM   #25

Yep, we've had a couple of Easy-Ups. That's the plan if needed.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:11 PM   #26

A couple of months ago I was riding my bike along the local state beach, and a motorhome was backing up, then starting to drive away slowly with the awning deployed. I watched for a few seconds to make sure he wasn't just repositioning, then quickly rode over to alert him. Stuff happens...
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:16 PM   #27

A awning coming off on the freeway caused my RV to be stolen.

How's that for a headline.

I purchased a new RV from another state and paid someone to deliver it to me. I work full time and didn't want to take a week off to pick up the RV. Somewhere in Texas a guy that had just bought a used travel trailer went to pass my delivery guy on the freeway. His awning must have not been fully retracted and locked (it was a manual one) so as he passed his awning was pulled out, ripped off his trailer and promptly run over by my delivery driver, but not until it hit the front of the coach. That strike put about a quarter size chip in the paint and the clear bra saved the rest.

Fast forward to me getting the delivery company to confirm that they will pay for the paint fix. I drop my coach off at a "reputable" shop and they leave it out front over a holiday weekend where it is promtly stolen.

So, a loose awing got my RV stolen. It never would have been at that shop if that guy would have secured his awning before rolling down the road.

Tags
awning