Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #1

Awning support - not typical solution?

[Sorry to post a new thread on this topic. I had written a reply to a thread from last year, but it had an old thread warning. Should I have gone ahead and replied to it? What is the preference of iRV2 folks?]

I liked the thinking of tying a tie down to a chair or ice chest, but not practical in my case. I am interested in additional tie down solutions that don't require trying to screw something into the ground (frequently rocky or too hard to secure anything into).

I have a Winne Drop 170s with a manual awning: Solera Hybrid...10' wide.

Extending the awning any amount introduces a dangerous situation with the arms resulting in whacking my head at least once per trip. Argh. Because of the support arm dropping so low down into the walkway, right next to the storage bins, I tend to only extend about 1/3 to 1/2 way...usually just enough to shade the window and maybe chairs at the side of the camper. Only partially extended is also better for any surprise wind gusts. But, that results in another challenge.

The design of the awning does not allow for much pitch adjustment, even when fully extended. I am supposed to be able to adjust the arms to control the pitch, but it doesn't work that well...especially when only 1/2 extended.

I am not interested in tie downs to protect from wind, as much as to pull the gutter edge down a bit to get a proper pitch, for rain, but also to get more shade when only extended a bit.

Soooo, what other jerry-rigged ideas have you all come up with that pulls down the awning, with out screwing an auger into the ground?

Thanks!!
Drewloker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 09:55 PM   #2

I use metal tent stakes with orange plastic tops. You may need a hammer to drive them in hard ground. Think I got them at Walmart, but any camping supply store should have them, or something else that will work.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:50 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
What about going to a 5 Below store and picking up a set of soft ankle weights and placing one on the top corner to pull it down? I believe you can get them in a variety of different weights.

Plus if you somehow forgot to remove it when you pull in the awing, it wouldn't hurt too much if it knocked you in the head!
Old 08-05-2021, 06:57 AM   #4

You are aware that most of the manual awnings can release the lower arm attachment and the leg can be placed vertically? Helps with the head banging problem. Thats one main reason the power awnings have become so popular.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonandDeb View Post
What about going to a 5 Below store and picking up a set of soft ankle weights and placing one on the top corner to pull it down?
This is a good idea. I have some of those ankle weights the wife wants me to get rid of!! But, with your idea, now I am thinking a milk jug I can fill with water at the camp site. Then use at the dump station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
You are aware that most of the manual awnings can release the lower arm attachment and the leg can be placed vertically.
I did not know that...but I don't think mine does. I will go look. Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
I use metal tent stakes with orange plastic tops. You may need a hammer to drive them in hard ground.
Good idea. I have rigged up a small tote with 3 types of stakes and some straps. Ready to go!
Old 08-05-2021, 05:20 PM   #7

My cousin always used 2 5G pails of local sand/rocks and a cheap ratchet-type tie-down. That way he only had to carry and store an empty 5G pail when traveling.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I carry two five gallon paint buckets with me and fill them with rocks, if available, or water if they are not.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:04 AM   #9

Drewloker-

I carry a roll of flourescent orange contractor "flag" tape. Once the awning is out I tie a 2- to 3-foot length on each awning arm, a little higher than my height. Walk outside the tape, all is well.

It's surprising how quickly you can develop "muscle memory." I've been known to dodge slide edges and awning arms that are not deployed- for some time after I've whacked my head on them!

I have damaged my manual awning by tying it too strongly to the ground. It's possible I have also damaged the awning rail on the coach in the same way (hard to tell for sure, as some Monacos/HRs have problems with beltrail integrity). Whatever solution you choose, be careful to allow for movement where needed.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning