Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Awnings, awnings, awnings...

So okay whatever one might have, chances are there is a pull down awning attached. And who doesn't have an awning that hasn't looked at some awning tie downs?

There are a 'whole' lot of choices around the internet, and I'm not about to start a debate here as to which one is best!

Everyone has done their own research before purchasing a system, (hopefully), and many can share their experiences with the various types out there.

My question is hopefully much more straight forward and simple. So okay, I spent some hours reading manufacture information on them, reading reviews about them, and watched various videos, then decided on a particular type.

I'm ready to install my anchors, but I usually don't start a project until I have all the information that I need.

I know that once installed, you flip a lever, and pull down your awning until your desired position, and attach your tie down system.

So you attach the tie down system up, and tighten it up. My question is, which position do you put that little lever in when you're putting a tie down system in an awning?

If you leave it in the position used to pull down the awning, tightening the tie down system, will probably pull down the awning even more.

So I'm 'assuming' that the little lever needs to be in the position for 'retracting' the awning when having a tie down system attached. But I want to be 100% sure, before I go on.

Thanks!
jb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb60 View Post
So okay whatever one might have, chances are there is a pull down awning attached. And who doesn't have an awning that hasn't looked at some awning tie downs?

There are a 'whole' lot of choices around the internet, and I'm not about to start a debate here as to which one is best!

Everyone has done their own research before purchasing a system, (hopefully), and many can share their experiences with the various types out there.

My question is hopefully much more straight forward and simple. So okay, I spent some hours reading manufacture information on them, reading reviews about them, and watched various videos, then decided on a particular type.

I'm ready to install my anchors, but I usually don't start a project until I have all the information that I need.

I know that once installed, you flip a lever, and pull down your awning until your desired position, and attach your tie down system.

So you attach the tie down system up, and tighten it up. My question is, which position do you put that little lever in when you're putting a tie down system in an awning?

If you leave it in the position used to pull down the awning, tightening the tie down system, will probably pull down the awning even more.

So I'm 'assuming' that the little lever needs to be in the position for 'retracting' the awning when having a tie down system attached. But I want to be 100% sure, before I go on.

Thanks!
Manual awning?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm assuming this is a manual awning.
Leave the lever in the 'pull it down' position - the same as you would do if you weren't hooking up the anchors.

What that lever does, when you move it to the 'roll it up' position, is allow the spring inside the roller to pull the awning up and tight to the RV.
So you don't want to move the lever until you really are ready to roll it up, otherwise the awning is going to be constantly pulling against the anchors - and you probably don't want that.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #4

The simple and correct answer is don't tie it down at all. Awnings are meant to provide shade ... PERIOD! You should never leave your rig unattended with the awning deployed. An unexpected storm could easily destroy the awning and even damage your rig even if the awning is tied down. Oh, sure, they sell awning tie downs. They are always happy to take your money for something you think you need.
The same thing goes for decorative lights that hang from the awning tube slot. You can't quickly roll up the awning with those things in the way.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflat View Post
The simple and correct answer is don't tie it down at all. Awnings are meant to provide shade ... PERIOD! You should never leave your rig unattended with the awning deployed.

The OP apparently has a manual awning which can actually be used. The electric awnings are the ones that are for shade only during ideal conditions.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
The OP apparently has a manual awning which can actually be used. The electric awnings are the ones that are for shade only during ideal conditions.
With the proper hardware, an electric awning can stay out till a constant wind speed over 35......
Old 10-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
With the proper hardware, an electric awning can stay out till a constant wind speed over 35......
There are over 400 awnings belonging to Forest River Forums owners that have the proper stuff....
Old 10-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post

But with a second heavy gust, it cannot retract fast enough. I've seen some viscous damage.
Our awning is out for shade. And rolled up when not there and at the end of the day.
We usually try for a West or North facing site, so there is always shade from the coach.
Neighbor in AZ had his "secured" awning bashing his rig and a long time waiting for replacement and roof repair.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #9

As stated, with a manually pulled down awning, leave the lever in the position used when pulling it down. I have tied ours down when there are fairly steady winds. But, i certainly don't rely on this if i think heavier gusts may be in the forecast. I usually pull it back in if i have any doubt.

Even when tied down, too much wind can tear the awning fabric and/or bend/break the hardware.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #10

Just a by the way. If you know what direction the prevailing winds come from, lower that corner of the awning some. Of course this assumes the winds aren't hitting the side of the RV head on. Doing so will keep the wind from getting under the awning and trying to lift it. Instead the wind will hit the top of the awning and move up and over the RV. Spent 2 months in FL last spring. Rolled the awning up one time in that 2 months. We were going to be away for the day and storms were predicted.

Tie downs help but keeping the wind from getting under the awning is more important.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb60 View Post

Thanks!
No, tightening the tie downs doesn't "pull the awning down even more". The manual awning is completely unrolled (it can't unroll any further), and the upper legs are locked in place (to secure the awning fully unrolled), THEN the bottom legs are adjusted to provide the desired angle. When you tie it down, you are pulling against the solid triangle formed by the RV and the two (upper & lower) legs, not the roller/awning material.

I occasionally use tie downs on my awning; leave the "lever" in the "extend" position; it cannot extend any further.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning