Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Backup camera inadequate power?

I posted this in the appropriate modification forum, but received no response. Figured I'd try it here.....

I had my backup camera replaced, and wired to a stand-alone monitor with 4 way split screen capability. I have 2 side view monitors as well, all wired to the dash.

The installer (a/v company, home and mobile) had a rough time getting all the things wired properly to the new monitor. He did not run any new line from the OEM rear camera to the dash. Rather, all 3 cameras met at a junction box, where it then sent one line to the OEM display.

He had to access this junction box, and I believe this is where he encountered challenges getting the new camera to plug and play.

We have a class c, and this junction box is in the bunk above the passenger seat, behind the bulkhead with other cable/satellite wiring.

The net result is my picture is very choppy and "analog", losing the signal periodically like I have poor analog reception.

The moment my generator is on, however, my signal is crystal clear and consistent like digital HD.

I'm trying to understand why the power supply is causing such a difference in the results. Any ideas?
grace2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #2

I'd be comparing the voltages to the camera and monitors between when the gen is running and when its not. Perhaps your alternator is not working properly, its over taxed, or your coach batteries are weak. I'd also be asking the installer why its not working properly.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Perhaps there is no power to the box when the generator is off.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I'd be comparing the voltages to the camera and monitors between when the gen is running and when its not. Perhaps your alternator is not working properly, its over taxed, or your coach batteries are weak. I'd also be asking the installer why its not working properly.
The voltage suggestion is a good one. The installer spent two full days trying to track down the issue, and we have since moved to another city. It is now on to a fresh set of eyes.

Having not ran any new cabling or changed the camera type, I can only imagine the junction box has something going on when the genny is off.
grace2day is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, power