Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #1

Backup Camera Questions

We are considering installing a backup camera on our 27ft Minnie Winnie and i have a question i see there are wireless and wired available.I would guess the wireless would be the easyest install but are they as reliable as the wired ones? are the "wireless" actually wireless? seems that both units of the "wireless" would need a power wire at least or do they need batteries ?
Any advice would be appreciated !
TIA Don
oldiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #2

I have had both. The only wireless part is the cable from the camera to the dash display. You still need to get 12v to each. When installing my wireless, the instructions want you to use the back up light circuit to supply power to the camera. I wired it to the clearance lights since I drive with lights on all the time. That way you do not have to be in reverse to use the camera. Easy to check on the toad while underway.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #3

I've had both. I prefer the wired version. When using the wireless one, I sometimes got interference. Not so with the wired. YMMV.
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Reminds me of a funny tale where a guy installed a wireless camera went on a trip and loved it. Then the funniest thing happened he was traveling down the road and looked at his monitor to check his toad and it was gone!!! Come to find out his system was picking up a signal from another camera and they didn't have a toad. Cant say this is a true story or not but its kinda funny.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #5

I'm having the same dilemma. The thought of fishing wire for 3-4 cameras all over my RV doesn't sound appealing at all. I'm fairly certain I'm going with the wired though.
lucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #6

I'm also going with the DVR as opposed to just the cameras. Nothing makes an insurance man happier than you having video of an accident that wasn't your fault.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #7

Our 26' Flair didn't have a camera when we got it. I installed a wired camera and ran the wire up the back to the camera mount, then along the frame and up into the dash along with a bunch of other wires to the monitor. Not that difficult. It has worked great for the last 4 years.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1320 View Post
I'm also going with the DVR as opposed to just the cameras. Nothing makes an insurance man happier than you having video of an accident that wasn't your fault.
I'm definitely going to add a backup camera, and I've been thinking of adding additional cameras as well... just because I have the cameras, a leftover DVR and a 300w inverter to feed it...
The DVR would support the backup camera, and a front-facing camera.
I've thought about adding cameras to the left and right side mirrors pointed backwards, and to the top rear corners to assist backing out of a parking place.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #9

Thanks for the info,Think i will probably go with the wired systen although gettihg wires down the back will be no picnic to be done so they dont show and i really dont likemaking holes in the body.
Thanks Don
oldiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #10

Be aware some of the wireless systems are much better than others, the analog wireless units tend to be prone to static and other image disruption, and the cheaper digital wireless systems can be lagy which may be be even worse than having static when that post looks like it is still 2 seconds away turns out to be 1 second away.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:09 AM   #11

Check out the post by Bigbird65 showing his antenna system for a wireless backup camera on his Minnie trailer:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winn...42788-328.html

I had a wireless system on the Minnie trailer I owned and it worked pretty well but did black out occasionally. If I had thought to mount the camera antenna on the roof and use a taller antenna on the truck roof, I think it would have been a real winner.

Also, if you wire a backup camera so that it's powered by the running lights, you can have it on anytime you need it just by turning on the running lights which makes it great to use while driving. Having had a travel trailer for about 16 years, I would highly recommend installing a backup camera, wired or wireless.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiesel View Post
Thanks for the info,Think i will probably go with the wired systen although gettihg wires down the back will be no picnic to be done so they dont show and i really dont likemaking holes in the body.
Thanks Don
Ours may have been a little easier than some because it had a tire mounted on the back. Knowing I would not be able to get the tire down if needed, I removed the tire and mount and fabricated a winch mount and mount for the camera on top of the spare tire mount.

I don't blame you for not wanting to put holes in the MH, there are too many there already. I didn't have to do that. Try to determine what is behind where the hole will be before drilling.

Best of luck.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #13

So I've decided to just build my own camera set up since I haven't fallen in love with anything I've found. I'm going with a DVR monitor and 4 cameras. I figure the whole set up will cost around $225 with the additional wiring harnesses (if necessary) and a day's worth of frustration and cursing to get it installed.

I think the only camera I'll mount to the RV will be the rear. I'm thinking about mounting 1 on each side of my truck bed, focused down the RV side and the next lane blind spot and 1 towards the front cab looking back so that I can see the nose of my RV and my hitch.

Thoughts?

Here's what I'm going with:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190227-110850_Amazon.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	236247Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190227-110816_Amazon.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	236248
Old 02-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #14

I bought one off from Amazon to give it a try and here are a couple of things to note:
  • - Price was right - $59 for a 7” wireless
    - Had one issue with the camera which they replaced at no charge
    - Make sure that you do have as clear as possible line of site for the wireless - some of them don’t do very well going through multiple walls (just like your wifi at home)
    - Came with a great dash mount
    - Camera’s usually don’t come on unless you turn on your lights as for many of the older motorhomes there is no constant power in the rear only lights

I use the “backup camera” while going down the road as it gives me that little extra viewing to see who is coming up behind me or see if my toad is still there.
So here is a picture of the final mounting.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73FCB7FD-9205-4747-9034-C071DC27062F.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	236320  
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera