Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #1

Bad Business

In May, I went to Lafayette, IN to get an air conditioner, and a ladder put in back. I went to Bill Gardiner RV. The guy that I worked with Tim (tall, thin,old) was very rude but I needed an AC. He gave me a verbal quote for $750 with $50 more for the wall thermostat. It was like pulling teeth to get the estimate and to make the appointment. Several times he would just walk away without excusing himself. I showed up with my RV and I was told it would be more like $900 and without the furnace wired into the thermostat. I said ok.

They started with the AC and finding a ladder and I came to find out ( not by him saying it first) that the estimate didn't include the ladder. So I told them, no ladder and not to have the furnace wired in.

They took about an extra 30 minutes at most and about 10 feet of wire (it's a 24 ft rig and the wire came from the middle of the RV to the back panel). They never told me that it was going to cost more. Then when I got the bill, it was $1200! I asked why and they said because of the wire. They expected me to believe that it was $300 worth of wire.

I told them that I was only going to pay $900 and Bill Gardiner told me they were going to have me arrested for "possession of stolen property" and called the police. The police came to mediate and to avoid trouble, I payed the $1250 (he gave me $50 off out of the "kindness of his heart") Bill was such a (moderator edit) and he had no remorse to conning me out of my money. He thought that I was going to roll over and take it but he couldn't be more wrong.

Since having to AC for a month or so, my breaker breaks about every 2-3 days, the thermostat has a mind of it's own turning on and off contrary to what it's set to, and there's a piece missing from the ceiling part.

I want everyone to know to not go there. The parts are over priced, the owners a (moderator edit) and service and quality is horrible. I filed a claim with the bbb and I plan on doing everything legally possible to save people from making the same mistake I made by going there.

I've tried to post on his Facebook page my review and he deleted it and blocked me. I put a post in Lafayette's Craigslist and it got strangely flagged and removed. Help me not let greedy people scam others out of their hard earned money.

Thank you for your time.
themsuangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here in WA the have to give you a written estimate, if the bill is going to be higher by 10% or more they have to have your authorization before proceeding. If they don't get the authorization then they can't place a mechanics lien on the vehicle. There is also a specific sign stating the above that must be posted too. Guess your state doesn't have that?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I would also go here and post a review of his questionable tactics.
RV Service Review

Might also contact the Better Business Bureau and see if you can also file a complaint along with the Attorney General's Office in the state he does business. There's also TV stations in the area/town he is in that might be interested in doing a story. Nice guy like that can always use a little free advertising.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does the state have a deceptive trades practice that you can file against the owner. Sounds like a crook. If nothing else take the clown to small claims cout.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
I got ripped off by King RV in Fredericksburg, VA. So I happily slammed Gardner on Facebook. King said the unit I bought was fully serviced - it wasn't , didn't even have a fire extinguisher and they sent me off on the highway in mid December freezing. It wasn't til I got home and found the under dash wiring trashed and other issues. Down with that dealership too.
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #6

The first instance of them being rude I would have walked away. Don't need it, don't want it and it's a first sign of something bad is going to happen.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
The first instance of them being rude I would have walked away. Don't need it, don't want it and it's a first sign of something bad is going to happen.
Agree. I'm not paying some jackazz to be rude to me.

TheMSUAngel
--sorry you had a crummy experience and maybe your story will help someone else.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by themsuangel View Post
In May, I went to Lafayette, IN to get an air conditioner, and a ladder put in back. I went to Bill Gardiner RV. The guy that I worked with Tim (tall, thin,old) was very rude but I needed an AC. He gave me a verbal quote for $750 with $50 more for the wall thermostat. It was like pulling teeth to get the estimate and to make the appointment. Several times he would just walk away without excusing himself. I showed up with my RV and I was told it would be more like $900 and without the furnace wired into the thermostat. I said ok.

They started with the AC and finding a ladder and I came to find out ( not by him saying it first) that the estimate didn't include the ladder. So I told them, no ladder and not to have the furnace wired in.

They took about an extra 30 minutes at most and about 10 feet of wire (it's a 24 ft rig and the wire came from the middle of the RV to the back panel). They never told me that it was going to cost more. Then when I got the bill, it was $1200! I asked why and they said because of the wire. They expected me to believe that it was $300 worth of wire.

I told them that I was only going to pay $900 and Bill Gardiner told me they were going to have me arrested for "possession of stolen property" and called the police. The police came to mediate and to avoid trouble, I payed the $1250 (he gave me $50 off out of the "kindness of his heart") Bill was such a (moderator edit) and he had no remorse to conning me out of my money. He thought that I was going to roll over and take it but he couldn't be more wrong.

Since having to AC for a month or so, my breaker breaks about every 2-3 days, the thermostat has a mind of it's own turning on and off contrary to what it's set to, and there's a piece missing from the ceiling part.

I want everyone to know to not go there. The parts are over priced, the owners a (moderator edit) and service and quality is horrible. I filed a claim with the bbb and I plan on doing everything legally possible to save people from making the same mistake I made by going there.

I've tried to post on his Facebook page my review and he deleted it and blocked me. I put a post in Lafayette's Craigslist and it got strangely flagged and removed. Help me not let greedy people scam others out of their hard earned money.

Thank you for your time.
I'm sorry, but the minute the bill jumped to $900 I would have walked. They would never had gotten the chance to stick it to me. There are plenty of places in Indiana to get an air conditioner.

Reporting this to the BBB is about worthless, you're just wasting your breath and time...

The big leason learned here is that ALWAYS get a written quote for any work that you are going to have done.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have to agree with previous posters. I'm sorry for your trouble, and commend you for bringing it to the attention of the community, but you had red flag after red flag raised, warning you that this guy was a [self edit], and you chose to pursue doing buisness there anyway.

I don't know all the details, but based on how you presented it in the OP, I'd say you bear at least SOME of the responsibility for your unfortunate plight. Personally, I'd have called him a [self edit] and walked at the first sign of rudeness. If you want me to cheerily write you a check, you had better treat me like you appreciate it, even if you don't.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #10

Sorry you were ripped off.

One action that you can take is JC2 says, post a nasty review on RV Service Review. This will help other avoid these crooks. Whenever I am away from my "home" shop and need service, I go to that website in an attempt to find honest & reliable service.
2InAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry you were ripped off but as mentioned I would have walked as soon as the price went up. I was in the electrical trade and never made that kind of money putting in 10' of wire. That's a rip for sure. Thanks for sharing though and hope this may help someone else to stay away from the place. Good luck in the future.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As a dealer (or repair facility) the dealer is likely licensed by the state department of motor vehicles,, As one poster put it in his state, also in mine, and in many others, a WRITTEN estimate is required for any repairs over xx dollars.. I think it is 25 in Michigan., XX varies from state to state but it is almost never XXX.

Report him to the DMV.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #13

All these people talk about you bearing some of the fault is hog wash!!! You went to an RV dealer needing something done and they should have got it right. Sorry about your experience. I live 45 minutes from there and will never step foot in the place. Thanks for the info!!
Mooseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I agree buyer be ware and also the BBB is worthless they can not force him to do anything. Did you get some kind of a warranty on his work?

I would instead send him a certified letter stating what the problems were after he was done and give him a deadline to fix it or make it right before you go to court or have someone fix it and send them the bill. Good luck.

PS. A great thing to do is to have a huge sign on your motor home saying they are crooks.... drive it around town hehe
Yasir is offline   Reply With Quote