Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #1

Bad Diesel

Last Oct we were in the Smoky Mts, on the way home we stopped and purchased approx 75 gal of diesel. Approx 250 miles later the engine stared running bad. I changed the fuel filter, ran fine for app 300 miles changed fuel filter. Since the fill up I have change 4 or 5 fuel filters. Time between changes is increasing so I think the problem will go away with time. I did stop at the Exxon station on the right a few miles west of Severville where I purchase the bad diesel, this past week. I was given the number of the manager, I called, stayed on hold for approx 5 minutes, was told the manager was busy, I left my number, he has not returned my call. I did not by diesel at this station this trip nor will I in the future. I was only wanting for him to hear the problem I had. I was not expecting them to pay anything especially after several months.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #2

We experienced the same problem a couple of weeks ago. A friend of ours who is a diesel mechanic told us not to purchase diesel from a small gas station whose sales are low in comparison to a truck stop which gets diesel delivered on a regular basis.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
We experienced the same problem a couple of weeks ago. A friend of ours who is a diesel mechanic told us not to purchase diesel from a small gas station whose sales are low in comparison to a truck stop which gets diesel delivered on a regular basis.
That is sound advice. While a truck stop might have higher pricing, they also have fuel deliveries multiple times daily. A small station might have diesel fuel delivered once a week or month, without filling the storage tank. This allows humidity to condense in the tank and settle to the bottom, where the fuel pickup is only a foot off the bottom.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The older gas stations are having problems with Biodiesel fuel in part due to much less turnover in the tank and in part because Biodiesel loosens up all the gunk in the old tanks. That is why I will not buy diesel except at busy truck stops even though the price might be higher. A friend buys only at Exxon stations (former Exxon employee with a discount card) and he has had some real problems with fuel especially when biodiesel was "new". He had to replace his fuel filter 3 times before he could get the coach to run after one fuel stop - check engine light every 20-25 miles - third change was a charm. Biodiesel fuel not only loosens gunk in diesel tanks (as well as the tanks in rigs) it also produces algae if it sits too long. Busy truck stops are the only answer for me. I also use Biobar additive if my coach has to sit for a few months (still work). I just don't want to be stranded on the side of the road ever!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've heard people say they go to smaller stations to get cheaper prices, and to keep all the oil and gunk off their shoes. I almost exclusively use truck stops. The higher price and gunk on my shoes is nothing compared to knowing that you are probably getting clean fuel. I've never done it, but changing a fuel filter on the road doesn't sound like fun.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
My brother manages a large wholesale fuel distributorship and has for years told me to always use busy truck stops when re-fueling if at all possible. The diesel will almost always be very fresh, with much less chance of contamination. In addition he said for truck stops diesel is their bread and butter so they will generally do a better job of maintaining the tank filters and equipment. The last thing a truck stop needs is several dozen trucker's upset over the quality of their fuel.

Dirty truck lanes? I have seen regular stations just as dirty and the convenience of manuvering in the area meant for large vehicles and used by others that know how to drive, park and get out of the way means more to me than a few cents per gallon.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #7

You could try fuel polishing. Having owned diesel cruising boats with several hundred gallon tanks and little fuel consumption rate, condensation does form in the tanks. I mention this, not to imply that is your problem as your problem was undoubtedly bad fuel.

A solution used in marinas, usually provided by a mobile vendor specializing in the fuel polishing process, is to filter all your remaining fuel through their filtering and water removal process. It is simply a series of Racor filters of increasingly smaller particulate sizes. They charge a flat rate for so many gallons plus filters used during the process. It works but is not cheap. If you have marinas in your area that fuel diesel boats, you might check with them.

The alternative is to keep doing what you are by changing filters frequently, paying attention to the water and black slime removed.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #8

Darwin,

In South Florida a lot of boats are not used for long periods. In our heat and humidity diesel fuel can go out spec in weeks so additives are used to prevent the problem or to return the fuel to in-spec condition.

I have had bad diesel problems from storage deterioration and inspite of avoiding small, low-volume stations so I looked to the marinas to find what additve they use. The one that was commonly used was called PRI-D. It worked. Using it before storage reduced the poor first tank mpg problem after storage.

Also, The next time a problem began after filling up, I immediately stopped and added PRI-D. By half tank the engine was running smoothly again. Needless to say, my concerns about storage and getting bad diesel are long gone since I started using this stuff.

Dick
DickReid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:26 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
People have posted pros and cons for PFJ, but I have never gotten a bad tank of fuel. Plus as a GS life member, I got an RV Plus card which gives me an $.08 per gallon discount off the cash price. This often puts my price below the old, cheaper station, which is generally off the beaten path anyway so I spend more getting there.

If I need gas, and there is not a PFJ close by, I will look for a well used truck stop that I am confident has a large turn over of diesel so I am getting relatively new diesel.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Put Sea foam additive in your diesel tank and it will help displace the moisture.
Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I lost the tank pump, the injector pump and all 6 injectors in my Dodge Diesel PU 75 miles after filling up at a small Chevron station in Fredricksburg, VA. The fuel looked like milk. Never again will I use a small station for ANY fuels.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
I never buy diesel from a small station with a small turn over rate. Too many problems. I prefer to go to large stations, or truck stops where I know the fuel is fresh and has less chance of have a contamination problem.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel