Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #1

Bad weather coming...

So I purchased my RV last summer and being in Florida this isn't my first rodeo but tonight and tomorrow we're going to be hit pretty hard...this made me wonder what others do when bad weather is headed your way. Also, if you had to leave your RV to go to...say...work...would you unhook everything to protect your electric?
Abrum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 08:47 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrum81 View Post
So I purchased my RV last summer and being in Florida this isn't my first rodeo but tonight and tomorrow we're going to be hit pretty hard...this made me wonder what others do when bad weather is headed your way. Also, if you had to leave your RV to go to...say...work...would you unhook everything to protect your electric?

Progressive Industries makes a host of RV surge protectors. I've had them in every RV I've ever owned and I have to admit that they have saved me and our RV in every instance.

Well worth the money.

Other than that, parking next to a tall concrete wall with no trees around is the only thing that might protect your RV from a high wind condition.
ret60sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #3

At the worst, point the front of the coach away from the wind. Windshields are fragile and expensive to replace.

Shut off the water, shut off (or better yet, unplug) unneeded power users, keep the levelers down and pull in the slides. If it gets really bad, trust in a good insurance policy.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrum81 View Post
So I purchased my RV last summer and being in Florida this isn't my first rodeo but tonight and tomorrow we're going to be hit pretty hard...this made me wonder what others do when bad weather is headed your way
4 yrs ago we booked 2 out of state camping trips, 1 in August other in September...both turned out to be tropical storms. We weathered the storm's...Lots of wind driven horizontal rain.

Mike
mdcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:54 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have been in some nasty storm over the years and planning takes the worry out of the trip. Make sure all awnings are in. If you have slides bring them in. Especially if you have slide toppers. They could tear in high winds.
I don't disconnect any utilities. I have a Progressive EMS and it completely protects the electronics from surges etc. Store patio furniture and anything else that wind could throw into your MH.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
I was in Fort Worth, Tx last month when they had a bad storm. Wife was in the hospital with our son who just had major surgery, so I did not worry about her. I just brought the slide in, put both front and rear jacks down, just touching the ground, not to lift the motorhome. One hell of a storm! Lightning show, and the weather man said winds were 50 to 60 mph and 80 gust. I don't think they hit that 80 mph at my spot, but 50 mph would be a closer guess. I could feel the coach sway a little, but nothing drastic. I did not unhook my power, because I have a Progressive Unit. Went outside after the storm passed, and all was good. I was concerned, because there were trees close to me. Some branches were down on the ground, so I climbed on top to take a look, saw no damage. Wind and hail damage was my biggest concern, but luck was on our side this time. Hail was small, and tree branches not all that big. Really not much you can do, but ride it out or leave. Mother nature will do what she wants!
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #7

I'm an advocate of unplugging from shore power when lightening is close by. No surge protector will protect against all close strikes. Unplugging is more reliable protection. If you really need to maintain power during a lightening storm just crank the generator.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the winds are going to be strong, i.e. 40 - 70 mph. , I pull the slide in. I usually end up doing this a 3am :-(
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
If what they are predicting for us here in Jacksonville really happens, then I will unplug all of the electronics in the house, and I'll unplug the RV.
I've got a surge protector on the RV, but there's no since it having it (potentially) sacrifice itself when it is so easy for me to go out and unplug the RV for a few hours. I'd rather do that today than replace the surge protector tomorrow.
If it's just wind and rain then I probably won't worry about any of that, but if it's a severe thunderstorm then everything will get unplugged.

It sounds like you need to leave your house before the storm arrives, so you have to decide BEFORE it gets here, unlike me. My vote, unplug it. It won't HURT the RV to be unplugged for a few hours, or even until tomorrow. If it does then you have a different issue.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcamping View Post
4 yrs ago we booked 2 out of state camping trips, 1 in August other in September...both turned out to be tropical storms. We weathered the storm's...Lots of wind driven horizontal rain.

Mike
I was not expecting this so I most fess up here folks... 10 yrs of going to the same campground for fishing every April, riverside site. THIS year we changed to a new site on the river. Problem: site is at the lowest point at the campground, on a bend and the river is already high because of recent heavy spring rains. Earlier this morning got a flash flood warning for tomorrow, so we decided to pack it up and get out of dodge early and we are now home... Just not worth chancing it.

Mike
Old 04-20-2019, 05:06 AM   #11

Central FL had a tornado warning yesterday from about noon to 4pm. My coach was in Lakeland getting work done and was ready yesterday morning. I did not want to leave it there over the weekend so I drove to Lakeland to return it home. Unknown to me when I left home was this weather warning. I got to the coach about noon and the tech their said he hoped I made it back OK. I had him explain and he said it's suppose to be bad, wind by that time was gusting to 30. I decided to go, so I hitched the car and plotted a route back to the storage facility that avoided the interstate. It was only a 30 minute drive and I went slower than normal, but the 2 lane off interstate route provide some wind protection. I got the coach back to the storage facility without incident, but when I was driving home in my tow car the rain really hit and I had to slow to about 30 mph. Like most weather here in FL it was short lived but intense.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote