Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2014, 02:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Debit cards are scary, very little protection for unauthorized transactions. (Think Target) I use a Wells Fargo Debit/ATM card only at Wells Fargo ATM's.

Fred
I'm not sure this is accurate. My debit card has a Visa logo on it, and I believe is covered under the consumer fraud protection act, and my liability is $0.

We've done business with the same FCU, Digital Credit Union for almost 30yrs. We've used services from other banks as well, but honestly, nothing beats DCU. They are very innovative, introducing new features and functionality years ahead of commercial banks. We do all of our bill paying online, we never allow anything/anyone to do a "pull" from our account, everything is done as a "push". All deposits can be done from any smart phone using their app, which has been out for years now, and if you use an ATM that isn't in their network (almost hard to find) they refund the first 5 transaction fees at the end of the month.
Over the years there have been several major breaches like the recent Target fiasco. DCU emails us immediately if we're possibly involved and issues new cards. Frankly, I don't think twice about it.

I think it's also a good idea to have a "cache" of cash handy...and I don't mean $20 ... a friend uses a small mayo jar that was cleaned and he painted the inside white. Can either have it on a shelf of in the fridge...good place to put $500-$1000 cash that's not really obvious.

I can't remember the last time we actually stepped inside a b&m banky thingy... I'm sure it was to get something notarized, just don't remember how long ago that was.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I haven't been to an ATM since I retired over three years ago. We kept our relatively small Wisconsin bank. We'll use credit or debit cards 99% of the time. As others have already mentioned, taking cash back at Walmart and most grocery stores gives us access to what little cash we need anymore.

All our bill paying is done on-line through our bank. We do still have a checkbook, but rarely use it. The few checks we receive can be deposited into our account using an app on our cell phones.

Everything you do with your cards or on-line exposes you to identity theft, but you can minimize your exposure. Control what is in the account your debit card has access to and check that account and your credit card accounts frequently. We have two credit cards and restrict all of our on-line or over the phone purchases to just one of them using the other for most of our point-of-sale purchases. Each has been compromised at least once over the years but the credit card companies caught it quickly each time and had new cards in our hands very quickly. In the meantime we had the second card to get us by.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Debit card at grocery stores, Wal-mart etc.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your bank has an ATM then you can use ATMs at Wal*Mart and many other banks..... FOR A FEE.

If you transfer to a Credit Union.. MANY credit unions belong to a share network and you can use your ATM card at any other network member for NO FEE. And this folks is how I prefer to do it.

I belong to a "Small" (Main office, one branch) Credit union back in MI, but I can use my ATM card here in SC, I can use it in GA, IN Las Vegas and .. Well all over the country with no fee..

It pays to belong.. OWN your money,, Join a credit union.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
All of our income is direct deposit. Almost all bills are automatic pay tied to checking. We both have bank debit cards and the DW has a Master Card and I carry a Visa tied to my CU I've had for years. We keep track of these accounts daily on line using a virtual keyboard(Kaspersky). On our extended trips, extra cash is added to grocery and retail store purchases using the local debit cards(never leaves our sight) and the credit cards for everything else, including fuel. So far, so good.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
I love Walmart, and use them nationwide to get cash. I buy something at everyone that I stop at, and get $100.00 cash when I ring out. Have went thru several times if I need more cash. Eddie Elk.
X2 Each time at WalMart I can take $100. out using my debit card. Have never needed a bank on the road. Credit card and online banking for the rest.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Kaspersky

A bit off topic BUT ...... the other day our son, who works at the Pentagon in IT called and asked what anti virus program we used. I told him and he said "just don't use Kaspersky, I can't tell you why just don't use them" .... take it how you want but since we don't use it anyway it makes no difference to us. Just passing on what little info I can get out of him sometimes.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
A bit off topic BUT ...... the other day our son, who works at the Pentagon in IT called and asked what anti virus program we used. I told him and he said "just don't use Kaspersky, I can't tell you why just don't use them" .... take it how you want but since we don't use it anyway it makes no difference to us. Just passing on what little info I can get out of him sometimes.
Thank you, I'll do some checking. I'm all for being better protected.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #23

Awesome responses to my question. Thank you all. As some have commented, I don't like to use my debit card any more than I need. As someone else has said, think Target. My thinking was using banks ATMs when possible to get cash and to use cash when ever possible. Every day we hear about companies being hacked and all the companies do is offer credit reports, like that's going to do something about the problem? I know that having plastic fantastic is easy when at the pump or store, but every time it is used, you open the door for theft. I had not thought about CU as there aren't any where I live. Refund on ATM charges to me equals free. Any body know about Ally bank? There was another one, but it has slipped my mind. No S&B buildings. They say no service charges and can use any banks ATM.

Thanks
Brandi
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
State Farm bank will reimburse ATM fees. They're a "virtual" bank, in that they don't have any of their own buildings, but if you want to do something face to face (other than get cash) you can stop in at one of the agent's offices, there's one in most cities and towns. I used them once for a mortgage, otherwise I have no affiliation with them, other than the fact that I worked for the parent company for over 30 years.

You can check them out on-line. State Farm Bank
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #25

ATMs are becoming more risky. I never really liked them, keeping my card and such, but that was many yreas ago.

THE ATM SOFTWARE IS WAAAAY OUT OF DATE, AND VULNERABLE:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/01/...ldly-out-date/
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #26

Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
ATMs are becoming more risky. I never really liked them, keeping my card and such, but that was many yreas ago.

THE ATM SOFTWARE IS WAAAAY OUT OF DATE, AND VULNERABLE:

World’s ATMs still running Windows XP -- and wildly out of date | Fox News
I'm throwing the B.S. flag on this one.
First, the fact that there is newer software available has nothing at all to do with how secure the existing software is.
Second, banks, and their IT staff, are not idiots. Banks do NOT like risk. Banks do NOT want to be on the front page of CNN like Target is.
Third, most, if not ALL, of ATM security problems have to do with "capture", meaning someone puts a device in the card reader orifice of the ATM so that when you insert your card, it's actually being read by THEIR device, not the ATM. In this scenario, what software is running on the ATM is completely irrelevant, since the capture is taking place externally to the ATM.

I work in high tech, and I speak with many large financial institutions on a regular basis. If a bank was at risk due to outdated ATMs or software on their ATMs, heads would roll.

Remember, you are protected from fraudulent transactions, period. Banks simply cannot afford any type of risk/exposure in the public domain.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote