Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Barker tanks

Who has a barker tank and how often do you travel with it and how often do you use it?

Being at an electric only site right now makes me want one. I did a stay a few months ago and made it 7 days as needed but really could have used a barker tank.

Problem is an under sized gray tank. Black is fine but I can fill a gray in 3-4 days.

Makes me want to get a 42 gal barker which I think will fit in the Colorado crew can bed.

I rarely am not on full hookup but I want to venture out more to state parks and places that are less expensive than hotel rooms to park my MH at.

Thoughts? Opinions?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Who has a barker tank
Thoughts? Opinions?
I think you are talking about the portable tanks with wheels and wagon handles that are available. I have two of them. One is 5 gals. I think and the other is maybe 15 gals.

A gal of water weights 8.3 lbs. and when you multiply this by the above capacities you will see this is a lot to pick up and put in a pickup. 5 gals = 41.5 lbs. 15 gals = 124.5 lbs. So if you are talking a 40+ gal tank how do you intend to load it. Use a pump to pump the sewage up to the truck?

I'm telling you I get help with the little tank of mine cause I don't want to drop that and bust it open!

Sudsy
Old 02-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
From the few non FHU sites Iíve been to there is a main dump area. I would assume Iíd roll it to the dump area. I would never transport it full in the toad.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #4

Neal, you can use the toad to tow the tank to the dump station, or get a pump and put the tank in the bed of the toad and use a pump to fill it up. Lots of people are doing it both ways. To me, the advantage of putting it in the bed is you don't have to worry about the driveway damaging it while going to dump.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can also put a pan in the sink to catch some of the gray and pour it down the toilet. Helps a little.

Here is one you can slowly tow or just pull yourself if the ground is reasonably flat. https://www.amazon.com/Barker-30844-...+tanks+for+rvs
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #6

Pump Out?

Did you ask about pump outs? If not do ask.

I see now that I looked that mine are 15 and 30gals. I have never used the 30.

Pump outs are usually available even if you have to call a local sewage service. That may get pricey.

Sudsy

PS I have never transported the 15 with the Class A that we have now. I guess I would bungee it to the ladder.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #7

I bought the 35 gallon Barker blue tote. It works great. The only problem is, that thing is big and awkward to store. I wish I had bought the 25 gallon size. We can go 5 days if we are careful with the gray water. We don't use ours very often because we don't usually stay in one place over 5 days. I did a lot of research and Barker is the most durable of the waste water totes. Some of the other brands have plastic handles that tend to break.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #8

we had an occasion to need one, a month at a 'partial hookup' park with no site sewer... finally had to invest in a portable black tank... got a simple 15gal with the two rear rubber 'tires', and hitch connector.

worked very fine, easy to transport behind the vehicle slowly to the dump station, and easy to dump. One drawback, though, is that you really can't 'tell' how much you're transferring into the tank from your on-board tank... it's a guesstimate, and you better get it right!

I didn't want something too large that it wouldn't fit in my storage bay, and not too heavy when full that it would present a problem moving around. The 15 gallon size and weight makes for a great unit for those times when you need something simple.

all-in-all, it worked just fine, not nearly as 'dangerous' as my initial concerns... we have four of us on-board, and I emptied ours daily, as I found we typically used less than 15 gallons daily, and it made it less concerning about overfilling.

Now, though, I have a 15gallon portable tank that I may never have to use again... oh well. $99 well spent. with Free shipping : ) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #9

we have a smaller 30 gallon tank and the Barker 42 gallon tank. The barker stores just fine on the roof with the handle removed. Also fits in the back of our GMC Canyon (same as your Colorado) with lots of room to spare. When full, the handle drops over the trailer hitch on the toad for a trip to the dump station. Make sure you get the one with pneumatic tires. The earlier ones had the hard plastic tires which were junk. also, make sure that he tires are aired up before use. We had problems with the small tires loosing air on a regular basis. Filled them up with the yellow/green slime and aired up. No problems since.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #10

We have a 32 gallon Barker that is 10 years old and 7 years of that are full timing most of the time without sewer hook up. It is as good as it ever was and looks almost as good. Rebuilt dump valve one time and replaced tires on rear twice. I do wish it was a 42 gallon.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #11

Newer Thetford tanks have a gauge on them......I use an 18 gal one with 4 wheels and pull it across a gravel campground with my scooter......only need to use it once a month and storage room dictated which one to get
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Alright, here's some out-of-the-box thinking. It only works if your gray tank is mounted level or higher than your black tank. Mine are level. Get one of these:
Twist On Waste Valve, Boxed - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

It's a twist-on valve to block off the bottom of your y-pipe, rather like my unpowered Sanicon does. With the twist-on valve installed on the bottom of your y-pipe and closed, open the gray valve, it floods the y-pipe and the twist-on keeps it from exiting the y-pipe. Then open your black valve for about 5 seconds, the gray flows into your emptier black tank. 12345, close the black, close the gray. The water trapped in the y-pipe will stay there until you connect your slinky and open the twist-on valve while dumping. I do this often while dry camping. It gives you a few more days and a black tank full of gray water, which kinda flushes your black tank a bit better, I think.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Alright, here's some out-of-the-box thinking. It only works if your gray tank is mounted level or higher than your black tank. Mine are level. Get one of these:
Twist On Waste Valve, Boxed - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

It's a twist-on valve to block off the bottom of your y-pipe, rather like my unpowered Sanicon does. With the twist-on valve installed on the bottom of your y-pipe and closed, open the gray valve, it floods the y-pipe and the twist-on keeps it from exiting the y-pipe. Then open your black valve for about 5 seconds, the gray flows into your emptier black tank. 12345, close the black, close the gray. The water trapped in the y-pipe will stay there until you connect your slinky and open the twist-on valve while dumping. I do this often while dry camping. It gives you a few more days and a black tank full of gray water, which kinda flushes your black tank a bit better, I think.
LOL! People have been doing this "out of the box thinking" for YEARS.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Ooh, I like that! Ordered one from Amazon

Tags
tank