Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2022, 09:53 PM   #15

We did allow a woman to use our wash-room one time. We were stopped in a 3-hr. road construction delay in N. Neveda due to a wash-out.
A man knocked on my truck door (we had a 5er then) asking if his wife could use our facilities and she was 7 months pregnant. DW immediately said yes, and that was that. My wife and that woman entered our 5er, and I told the man no-one else could enter.
That was the only time a stranger went beyond the living room of our RV.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2022, 02:51 AM   #16
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Nobody has plans on being at a standstill in their car for hours and hours on a freeway!!

I'm kinda surprised how paranoid and selfish some members of this forum are!

Oh, one other thing. NO weapons would / are allowed in my RV!!

One should do what they think best. Your life, live it your way.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:12 AM   #17

My take is that humans have been on earth for literally millions of years. They know how to do their business in the woods or behind a tree.
Someone mentioned a line turning into a circus. It would rival a Barnum and Bailey freak show.
I like the "give them some toilet paper, now go away" suggestion.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Nobody has plans on being at a standstill in their car for hours and hours on a freeway!!

Really ? If someone else has a weapon and wants in your RV, you don't have a weapon to stop them ? If not, guess what ? Weapons are allowed in your RV.
Old 06-10-2022, 04:48 AM   #19

Quote:

Just curious about the weapon statement. Are you going to search everyone you let in to use the restroom?

Back to the original question. I might let someone use the restroom. Depends on the situation though. In most cases, no, out of water is the answer.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:58 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IF you've ever had the misfortune to be in this situation while caught in a traffic jam, you would let someone in dire need use your facilities. I can't believe the lack of compassion some display in this thread. SMH
Old 06-10-2022, 07:16 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were stuck for several hours in a traffic jam and a lady who appeared to be about 40 asked if she could use our bathroom.

"Sure" we replied. She was sooo thankful.

When you gotta go you gotta go!!
Old 06-10-2022, 07:28 AM   #22

Generally, NO.

Understand, I am the guy who picked up a sweaty strange woman with a young child, I thought her grandson till I discovered that she was actually much younger, hard life and this was her child. Gave them a ride to a grocery store in 100 degree heat. When I related the story to my wife after arriving home 20 minutes later than I should have been, and afraid she would yell out me for picking up a strange woman, her response was, "you didn't buy that little boy some ice cream?" It was a Sunday afternoon, and I actually did offer the woman a ride back home, she had just gone to store to get supplies for an infant still at her home. Her response was that people getting out of Church on Sunday were always so nice, she would have no trouble getting a ride home.

However, times have changed, and when I am alone versus responsible for safety of family, my answer can be different.

Now, if we are talking a blizzard, people are freezing to death, and I can save a life by opening my TT up to them, my answer changes. A pregnant woman, my answer probably changes. I don't typically carry water on board my TT, so that answer is probably truthful.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:05 AM   #23

This came up for us because we have a local highway construction project set up so when there is an accident there is no possible way to go around. The longest people have been stuck out there has been seven hours so far.
The area is pretty clear, there aren't really any useful trees or bushes. Most places have laws against public urination/exposure so people are between a rock and a hard place.

It would take me about 30 seconds to clear my bathroom of anything I didn't want the public to mess with.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I had this discussion. My wife says women and children are priorities and basically the door stays open until the black tank is full. Food, drink, and water for kids and the needy too. There will be a dump station, grocery, and a Wal Mart down the road a bit later. I don't think she's wrong. Naturally since she said that I immediately appointed her in charge of who comes in or not.
You have to consider circumstances too. Stranded in the heat due to a roadblock isn't the same as in a blizzard road blockage or a hurricane evacuation traffic jam or some other thing. But in any case you can bet no babies or toddlers in need would be turned away from our door. I'd put money on that.
Also I figure if we couldn't afford to restock after giving out supplies we shouldn't have left the house.
I would like to think my response would be the same. Never been asked, but I'm relatively new to RVing.

I have the luxury of closing off the bedroom and still being able to see the bathroom door. If I had meds / valuables in the bathroom I would likely move them before I let someone I don't know and trust use it.

As far as safety goes I am pretty sure I am the scariest person in the MH.

-IndyJim
Old 06-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
This came up for us because we have a local highway construction project set up so when there is an accident there is no possible way to go around. The longest people have been stuck out there has been seven hours so far.
The area is pretty clear, there aren't really any useful trees or bushes. Most places have laws against public urination/exposure so people are between a rock and a hard place.

It would take me about 30 seconds to clear my bathroom of anything I didn't want the public to mess with.
If there is a possibility of a 7 hour delay maybe the county should be placing porta-potties out there, and maybe some drinking water?
A few years ago we had a semi wreck on I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff. There was a 6-8 hour delay, one of the big state officials got stuck in it. As a result, heads rolled and the protocol was changed.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
They know how to do their business in the woods or behind a tree.
"in the woods or behind a tree" isn't everywhere!!

I'm more trusting. If stuck in a traffic/construction mess one is not going to be alone out there for all the criminals that happen to ask for a bathroom to do harm to me. Plenty of witnesses and if he's stuck in traffic he's not going to get away easily.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:46 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Two Gypsies,

Thank you for your kindness to others. I agree, there’s very little personal risk to helping someone also stuck in a traffic jam. Heck, if it was a 6 hour stop, I’d probably pass out drinks and fire up the grill. I travel alone most of the time and don’t live in fear. The large majority of people are good. Perhaps that’s just my country attitude to help your neighbor. Or perhaps it comes from a career in dealing with people from all walks of life. And like Indy stated, I’m probably the scariest one anyway.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #28

Zero*chance..
Closed Thread