Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #1

Bathroom Skylight Mods

We like the light that the bathroom skylight brings into the RV, but hate the accompanying heat. I've been thinking about how to remedy this problem somewhat for quite a while now.

I've noticed that our vent fans do let light in but not the additional heat. Our fans have a shroud covering them. I realize that with so many different designs of bathroom skylights, that a shroud is not possible. However, I think there is something simple that may be possible. Bear with me here.

I am thinking about purchasing a replacement skylight to mount above the current skylight. I would remove the existing screws and then using longer screws and some type of spacer, such as ferrules, so that the second skylight sits 1/4" to 3/8" above the regular skylight. I would then drill some small holes in the second skylight to let both heat and air escape and not be trapped in between the two skylights. I am not trying to make a double walled skylight, just trying to find a simple way to dissipate the heat and still let the light in.

Has anyone done something like this before? If so what are your results?

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 08:37 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Any chance you can put something like window tint on to reflect the heat, but still allow light in?
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #3

I layered a sheet of window tint between the skylight and the bubble top. Worked great.
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #4

When my clear one got cracked, I put a new smoke sky light in and it does not seem as hot as the old one. Still plenty of light gets in.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #5

1. From screw to screw I put in a small bungy cord on the skylight opening in the shower.
2. When we travel I put a pillow in the opening and no heat comes in.
3. I also painted the outside with white paint.

The pillow helps out a lot.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #6

I painted mine with flex seal. 2 coats of white, then 2 coats of black and 2 more coats of white. I don't like light in the camper. However with 2 or 3 coats of just white it will still let light in and keep the heat out. Hopefully it will also protect it from hail and uv lights.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #7

Bathroom Skylight Mods

I got tired of them as well. Bought a sewing machine and made covers for the inside to keep the heat out. They also keep the light out as well.

First set was expensive since we didn’t have the sewing machine but they work great and now I know how to use a sewing machine

Used Velcro command strips to keep in place so they are still removable if we want. Second season and still working well.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:15 AM   #8

Mesh window covering will let light in but will block some heat. You can snap it or velcro it to the inside.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:46 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I taped white copy paper to the inside of the shower dome.

Has been on there 2 years now and cuts the sun 80%, but still enough light to see things.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #10
Community Moderator

I painted all skylights with white plastic paint from home depot. It cuts heat tremendously.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
Community Administrator

We made a custom inside cover out of beige colored blackout material and attached it with Velcro. When some light was needed we peeled open a corner.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	254835

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
We like the light that the bathroom skylight brings into the RV, but hate the accompanying heat. I've been thinking about how to remedy this problem somewhat for quite a while now.
I went up on the roof and used a can of rustolium plastic paint and painted mine white. It still lets in a little light, but what a BIG difference is heat...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #13

I used 4 command strips on the ceiling to hold magnets. Cut a piece of reflectix slightly larger than the skylight and use 4 magnets to hold it in place. When I want to move it, just pull off the magnets, the ones on the command strips stay there. Bathroom stays a bit darker and a lot cooler.
JohnCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #14

Remove the inner dome and put clear bubble wrap in the space between the two domes...
KRum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light