Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2022, 04:22 PM   #1

Unhappy Bathroom Skylight Replacement Process? Branch with perfect aim came right through it

Had a dead branch come straight through the skylight over the shower in the RV's bathroom today during a wind storm. Fortunately it was during a lull in the downpour and I was able to buy a plastic tub that fit over it perfectly on the roof and 'secured' it in place with a 40lb sack of gravel. There is enough lip left so I just have to put a cover over it, nothing can leak down the sides. So... now I need to figure out how to replace it.

The interior piece seems simple, a few screws to remove. The outside portion seems straightforward in theory, but I'm not sure how to remove the dicor I think it is? How does one go about removing it so I can get to the screw heads and free up the edges of the outside piece?

Then when I put it the new one back in, any suggestions/recommendations how to make sure I seal it up good? Imagining more dicor? Any specific type? Anything I'm missing or need to be very aware of? And while I'm at it, any recommendations (I need to search still) on something good to clean the roof with? We've been under trees most of the time.

Thanks,
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skylight.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	382049  
Motorcycle Trailer - 2014 Aluma MC10, 2000 GVWR
immortl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2022, 04:34 PM   #2

Its a pain in the butt but a plastic putty knife and carefully clean off the old dicor and attach the new skylight with fresh dicor. I just had seal replaced on a roof AC and the tech cleaned off the dicor and then used a solvent to clean the rubber roof membrane to get a good seal with the dicor
Old 12-03-2022, 04:38 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
You can use a heat gun and paint scraper to remove the old sealant. It looks like you're gonna need to pressure wash that roof! The company that I bought the new skylight from provided the sealant. If you need to provide your own then I would use the Dicor 501LSW self-leveling sealant with the EternaBond 4" tape.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:41 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Use a heat gun, (buy one cheap at Harbor Freight if you don't have one) and heat the old Dicor and then use a putty a knife to scrape it off. Have you checked to see if that skylight is available.....that's typically the biggest challenge.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:16 PM   #5

Thanks guys, great suggestions. Tomorrow I will measure the current skylight more closely and seek out a suitable replacement online. Yeah, the roof is going to need a good gentle power washing. Everywhere we've been and where we currently are with it is pretty much under trees. Stuff falls on the roof, I sweep it off but it also remains fairly damp. The fall leaf season is just about over here in the Northeast, should wash it before winter sets in.

On that subject I'll research the dicor, but any thoughts about temps to avoid applying it in? Want to make sure it adheres and cures well. For cleaning the surfaces prior, a light solvent like rubbing alcohol or something else?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-03-2022, 06:52 PM   #6

(Don't feel limited by their sealant selection. Dicor is great too.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:00 PM   #7

I believe the skylight installation instructions recommended a rubber sealant. I assume it was compatible with the particular plastic the skylight was made from.

I laid down a bead of sealant and set the rim of the skylight in sealant then screwed it down and then put a layer of sealant over the edge/screws.

You might check to see what type of roof you have to ensure the sealant is compatible with the type of roof. e.g. fiberglass, membrane, filon, etc.

My new skylight was two pieces. A inside skylight and a separate outside skylight.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:15 PM   #8

Just repurpose your DW's hair dryer instead of buying a heat gun. You don't need high heat, just even low heat to make the old sealant more pliable while using a plastic scraper.
At to buying a replacement, if you cannot buy it through your dealer, try here: skylights
https://www.skylightdepot.com/collec...skylight-domes
https://www.eztopsworldwide.com/rvskylights.htm
https://www.skylightdepot.com/
https://www.icondirect.com/neo-angle-skylights/

Naturally this means buying DW a new hair dryer for a stocking stuffer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:26 PM   #9

Thanks for the links to the skylight sites and to the replacement video. I really appreciate it and there were some links there that I hadn't come across yet. I'm feeling more confident about finding the right size now.

My wife would crucify me if I used her hair dryer. Two Christmases ago I bought her a Dyson Airwrap. It's magical, seriously. Bring it near her hair and the hair wraps around it like magic and it produces all day lasting curls and waves. If you have a spouse with long hair, highly recommend it as a gift for them. Be forewarned though, it's not cheap and is equivalent to a good G Loomis NRX+ rod or almost equivalent to a Shimano Stella spinning reel (I'm redoing my fishing rigs, so that's my current point of reference). You should get at least a years worth of goodwill out of it though and the results are easy and outstanding.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 12-04-2022, 06:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Surebond is a good substitute for butyl tape since it butyl based.

SUREBOND | SB-140 SKYLIGHT & WINDOW BUTYL SEALANT
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Just repurpose your DW's hair dryer instead of buying a heat gun. You don't need high heat, just even low heat to make the old sealant more pliable while using a plastic scraper.
At to buying a replacement, if you cannot buy it through your dealer, try here: skylights

I agree about the hair dryer. Get one with the flat tip attachment. May take a little longer, but less chance of destroying the roof material.
I also use mine in the workshop for removing labels and drying paint.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:29 AM   #12

Yes, I'll use a hair dryer for this. As I've gotten older/wiser I have learned to move slow and methodical with projects like this, thinking things through beforehand and to be patient while working on the project. I find I screw things up less and produce better results.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:44 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
We had a falling tree branch do the exact same thing a couple years ago, a day before a scheduled road trip. I was able to use a peanut grinder with a cut off wheel to remove the remaining jagged edges of skylight, leaving a fairly smooth perimeter. I cut out a piece of scrap plexiglas slightly larger than the skylight opening and set it a bead of clear silicone, trip saved…
The ICON brand replacement worked wonderful, great quality and about twice the thickness as the original. Just take your time, scrape and clean everything very well followed with a final wipe of mineral spirits. I used Surebond sealant to install it with a bead of Dicor around the perimeter and screw holes. No issues.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:47 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

Yeah....good luck sneaking out of the house with the wife's hair dryer. Even worse, if you do get out and she sees what you're using it for......grounds for divorce!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, light, replace, replacement