Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #1

Batteries always on tongue on TT. Why??

This has been itching at me for awhile now. My previous Layton, that I just traded, had the battery in it's usual place, on the tongue. And the convertor unit was in the rear under the kitchen counter. And my new Sprinter has the same set up. Just farther apart because it's 12' longer. Now, the Sprinter has a tongue weight of a little over 900lbs dry and with the battery and 2 full 30lbers you can imagine where it goes from there. And this unit has a double battery tray on it. I fully realize it's a convenient spot to put them but a 5er has them in a compartment since they don't have a tongue. No can speak Sorry!! And on my new one the AC power plug is it at the rear very close to the convertor. So my thoughts are that's a lot of wire between the battery and the convertor. I'm wondering why they don't utilize a small compartment towards the rear to reduce the amount of wiring needed and to take some weight off an already heavy tongue. They could still run a heavy gauge wire forward for the tongue jack and the power cord to the TV. I was looking at mine and there is a fair space directly behind the convertor that could have been untilized as a battery compartment. Just seems like they have "been doing it this way so long that's just the way it is" mentality. How about a little re-engineering and weight distribution. Our old 5er, deer season rig, has a double battery compartment on the side about 2' back of the front legs. And the AC cord is 2' feet from that. I'm sure many of you have been sitting in your rig or standing looking at something wondering......why did they or don't they at some time or another. Just saying
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #2

Mostly price. Sure, for one unit, wiring is not expensive. Put in a sealed box in the back, and make it "nicer."

Ever heard of Peterson Ind, Teton, Carriage, etc.? Price. People are CHEAP! All the time, people come in looking for something like a Montana loaded for $30,000.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #3

There are several reasons for that placement:
1 ventilation of off-gassing
2 corrosion of compartment
3 ease of access
4 it makes people wonder why they put them there
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
There are several reasons for that placement:
1 ventilation of off-gassing
2 corrosion of compartment
3 ease of access
4 it makes people wonder why they put them there
5er's don't have a problem
Our 96 5er battery compartment is wood. No corrosion problem.
Easy to access on the 5er.
and yes it does!!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

They have to be somewhere, and they need ventilation too. As do the LP tanks, also often on the tongue. Most a matter of cost & convenience, I think, but do you have a better suggestion? Some higher end models have nice enclosures for batteries & tanks, and a 5W (no tongue) sacrifices space from the interior or front storage bay for that purpose.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #6

The off-gassing isn't that much of an issue. A battery or two isn't spewing out enough gas to effect much of anything. If it was they wouldn't be throwing 3-4 large SLA deep cycle batteries in the sealed bilge area of bass boats.

I think it's more a matter of convenience to the builder.

That being said I don't see why you couldn't relocate it elsewhere.
Riccochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #7

Batteries CAN off-gas badly, but normally don't.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #8

I had a 1997 26ft Starcraft TT once that had the battery in a small cabinet at the back of the trailer right next to where the converter was. It was recessed into the floor and had a plastic cover with a vent tube on the top. It was a real PITA to check water levels. First you had to unclamp the vent tube, then undo 8 screws to remove the cover, then undo the battery cables. After that ALL you had to do is reach into this little deep cabinet and lift it out only to discover the levels were fine. Kinda good with them on the A frame after that.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #9

2 reasons...first it's dead unused space which is hard to find on rv's ........second it helps get the needed tongue weight, take too much off and you will have an uncontrollable situation
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Bass boats usually don't have 50+A chargers running continuously to boil away electrolyte either. A weak battery and a strong single stage charger are a recipe for boiling batteries and spewing gases.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries