Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #1

Battery Isolator Question (Group 3 to Group 1 conversion)

First off, as this is my first post, I just wanted to say thank you to all the generous people that take time to post on this site. I just bought a 1982 Champion 6.2 Diesel motorhome and have had quite a time getting everything hooked up and working again. This site has made it possible. Really.

On to my question: I have just installed a new battery isolator, but I purchased a group 3 isolator on accident. It has four posts as opposed to the three that a group 1 would have. The auto supply store said they would return it for me as it was sold in mis-marked packaging, but I'm wondering if I can just save everyone the trouble (and a bit of extra cost for the group one isolator) by simply bridging the E post to the A post. I'm just not certain that this would be a sure fire way of solving the problem. Is this a good idea? Has anyone tried this/ know if this would work? Thanks!!
VesiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this a diode isolator or a solenoid type?

There are two kinds of diode isolators that I have seen, one has 3 BIG terminals and that is it (In theory you could make one with 4 but let's not go there just yet)

The other has 3 big and one small

If that is what you hage, Just do not connect the small one at all.

(NOTE the 4 big post would be for a 3-battery system)

The other is a solenoid isolator, These all have 4 terminals. Always

Two big, and one small plus eiter a 2nd small or the case of the unit

I am not sure you can jumper.. The ones with the case as "Ground" for the solenoid are designed for continous operation.

The ones with a 2nd small terminal, MAY be magnetic latching and NOT designed for continous operation (That is continous power to the coil)

However,, I do not know, for sure . I would need the full make and model of the device to do the needed research.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #3

This I think was a diode type isolator. Four big terminals...the manual said it was for "group three" alternators like the Bosch ones...there's a secondary cable that runs to the alternator for some reason I don't remember / I actually just took it down to the parts store again and had it switched out for a "group one" isolator. Thanks for your reply!
VesiV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery