Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #1

Battery issue

Instead of the usual plugging in the RV fiver over winter, I run a power cord to the battery compartment and use a Battery Minder to keep the dual Trojan GC2s charged. I also have 200w of solar. It was sunny and warm yesterday so I checked on the fiver to find the batteries dead, the Battery Minder power light on but no charge status lights. I removed the BM and plugged into the 30a cord and I now showed 14.8 volts for bulk charging which dropped to 13.2 float after a while. I left it plugged in overnight and, puzzled, took a jug of distilled water out this morning and pumped the remaining quart of water into the batteries. So now I know the batteries had gone dry after being topped off in November. I wonder about the damage done to the 4 year old batteries and what made them boil off. I had planned to put a solar disconnect on, but figured the clouds, low sun and snow would keep output to a minimum.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Monthly battery checking is usually recommended. Is the solar controller a quality three stage unit? Are both chargers working as they should? As for the batteries current health they have had there life shortened. By how much is not easy to know unless the loss of capacity is obvious. I would get a good charge on them, check specific gravity and do a breakdown test. Then go from there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Monthly battery checking is usually recommended. Is the solar controller a quality three stage unit? Are both chargers working as they should? As for the batteries current health they have had there life shortened. By how much is not easy to know unless the loss of capacity is obvious. I would get a good charge on them, check specific gravity and do a breakdown test. Then go from there.
Thanks, the solar controller is a 3 stage ViewStar set to Trojan specs with equalizing on the 28th of every month. I will get a hydrometer and check them in a couple of days. I just looked at the Trojan manual and they do say to check monthly, but the watering system caps are difficult to remove as I found out today and pumping water in often 10 or 20 degree temps is not much fun. We have a week of warm weather ahead so I will check them out.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Equalizing monthly, especially while in storage, may well be the source of the water consumption.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Note that as the electrolyte (water) level gets lower, the battery heats up more under charge and boiling increases. It's a vicious cycle once it starts.

I can't imagine equalizing monthly, especially during winter storage, if the solar was in fact able to generate a equalizing cycle that often in the winter climates.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Getting access to my battery compartment was impossible; I had to use mirror when filling with water. Bought a Flow-Rite and adding water is now a breeze. The battery caps are replaced with Flow-Rite. When adding water, just connect unit, put end of hose in jug of distilled water and squeeze. You cannot overfill.
Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Thanks, the solar controller is a 3 stage ViewStar set to Trojan specs with equalizing on the 28th of every month. I will get a hydrometer and check them in a couple of days. I just looked at the Trojan manual and they do say to check monthly, but the watering system caps are difficult to remove as I found out today and pumping water in often 10 or 20 degree temps is not much fun. We have a week of warm weather ahead so I will check them out.
The batteries in many RVs, including ours, are almost impossible to 'water.' That's the main reason I went to AGM batteries.

I hope yours survive.

Happy trails,
Old 02-21-2017, 05:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Note that as the electrolyte (water) level gets lower, the battery heats up more under charge and boiling increases. It's a vicious cycle once it starts.

I can't imagine equalizing monthly, especially during winter storage, if the solar was in fact able to generate a equalizing cycle that often in the winter climates.
Thanks, I plan to add a disconnect to the solar system.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
Getting access to my battery compartment was impossible; I had to use mirror when filling with water. Bought a Flow-Rite and adding water is now a breeze. The battery caps are replaced with Flow-Rite. When adding water, just connect unit, put end of hose in jug of distilled water and squeeze. You cannot overfill.
Yes, I have that, thanks.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Thanks, I plan to add a disconnect to the solar system.

A properly setup solar system/charger will not kill the batteries if left hooked up. Matter of fact I suspect many batteries have been saved just because the solar takes care of them during the winter.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Explorers View Post
The batteries in many RVs, including ours, are almost impossible to 'water.' That's the main reason I went to AGM batteries.

I hope yours survive.

Happy trails,
I am letting it charge a few days before checking specific gravity, but I am pretty much resigned to a new pair. Glad I got 4 years out of them and hope to make the new ones last longer with the input I got here. Thanks, everyone!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #12

After filling the dry batteries and running the on board converter/charger for a few days, I've confirmed that the batteries are dead. In shopping for replacements (I paid $125 each for the T-105 five years ago), I found 3 suppliers in VT at $145, $175 for T-105 and $148 for Interstate plus 6% tax. Called my original supplier in NH and T-105s are $130 with no sales tax. Sounds like a road trip. Even with the cost of fuel in a 30mpg Subaru, I should come out ahead.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
A properly setup solar system/charger will not kill the batteries if left hooked up. Matter of fact I suspect many batteries have been saved just because the solar takes care of them during the winter.
It is set up to Trojan specs, but I plan to at least turn the equalization down from 15.6 to about 15.2 or reduce the hours that equalization runs. But mostly, I need to top off batteries monthly.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #14

One more thought: Sam's Club or Costco will have good batteries for about $85 each. The total AH rating is a little less, but the cost is a lot less. Unless you boondock a lot, the standard 6V wet cells will serve just as well.

If you don't have a solar controller, you need to get one; they are pretty cheap. Check Amazon.

HTH

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery