Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 08:52 AM   #1

Battery Life

Hi, I have a 2008 Winnebago Navion. Generator wouldn’t switch on before I purchased it so two new batteries were installed. Generator did turn on then. But since I’ve had it for less than a year the batteries keep going dead and I’ve had no generator power. I was checking batteries once a month and always cells would be low or empty. Then I started checking every couple of weeks same problem now I’m checking every other day and I’m still running into low cells and no generator. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? I didn’t have a problem with my other RV (Fleetwood)is this a Winnebago problem.? I’d really love to enjoy my RV, but the generator is a must. I live in a hurricane prone state and wanted the RV as an escape vehicle and or a sanctuary when the power goes out . Please help me.
Caseynicki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #2

Welcome to this site!! are they deep cycle batteries that start your generator? what brand of batteries did you buy? the only thing that I can figure out about the batteries going dry is from over charging.i hope somebody can give you a better answer.
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum from South Jersey. Sounds like your converter is putting out too much voltage. You need a multi meter to check the batterys. If more then about 14 volts, then the converter is bad. I had one do that and replaced it. If hooked to shore, the batterys should be maintained and not over charged. Use distilled water only to top off batterys. Another indication of over charging is the batterys get hot to the touch and expand on the sides.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Who put in the “new” batteries? The dealer? Are you sure they were good?

Are you talking about your Navion in storage or in use?

So much we don’t know about your situation can you please explain more fully?
Old 01-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseynicki1 View Post
Hi, I have a 2008 Winnebago Navion. Generator wouldn’t switch on before I purchased it so two new batteries were installed. Generator did turn on then. But since I’ve had it for less than a year the batteries keep going dead and I’ve had no generator power. I was checking batteries once a month and always cells would be low or empty. Then I started checking every couple of weeks same problem now I’m checking every other day and I’m still running into low cells and no generator. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? I didn’t have a problem with my other RV (Fleetwood)is this a Winnebago problem.? I’d really love to enjoy my RV, but the generator is a must. I live in a hurricane prone state and wanted the RV as an escape vehicle and or a sanctuary when the power goes out . Please help me.

Note bold.

I am in agreement with A32Deuce that there is a problem with your inverter/charger. By "low" in your post, I assume you mean low on water as it's used in the context of cells also being empty. That can only be possible if there is a physical leak in the battery casing or the battery is being overcharged and the water is "boiling" off.

As mentioned, use a meter and measure the voltage being supplied to the batteries by the inverter/charger. Even if the charger is supplying voltage within the proper range, ~13.5-14.5 volts, it should then taper down to a low, maintenance charge. That charging reduction may not be happening.

Once you measure your charger output, let us know what you find. It may be difficult to determine if the charger ever gets to "float" mode unless you are present to monitor the charging cycle.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #6

Thank you for your information. The dealer installed the new batteries. I’ve asked If they did put the new ones in as promised and they said yes, and I’ve even asked to see a warranty or anything on them and of course that never happened. They want me to bring it in again and leave it so they can see how it charges. I’m taking it in twice for this since I’ve bought it, and even though I have check the level of the cells and refilled them with distilled water, they tend to imply its my fault . I have It parked in my driveway on shore power, last took it camping over Thanksgiving.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #7

Hi and thank you for welcomingme and your information. I don’t know too much about this area, or RV ing in general, but they are deep cell- Interstate.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:21 PM   #8

Thank you- I will have someone check the voltage , etc as soon as I can. I don’t want to keep returning to the dealership . it is time-consuming , expensive, and it is not close to where I live, so it involves getting rides and adjusting everyones schedule . Everyone is so helpful, I’m so appreciative.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #9

Caseynick1,

Thank you for your feedback as no one can really help unless we know the progress being made. That being said, I get from your posts that you are not too familiar with the systems on an RV and you may not be comfortable with Do-It-Yourself diagnosis or repair. Regardless, all the information you supply and the responses you receive are important because they allow you to ask pertinent questions to whomever works on your RV and the more you understand a problem and how to address it, the better you can ensure the fix is done correctly.

Ask away on this forum! Whether or not you attack the problem or hire someone else, it will be to your benefit. If the dealer is too difficult to use, you might try a mobile RV tech. The issue you are facing can be narrowed down by fairly straight forward trouble-shooting by someone familiar with RV systems and has the proper tools. IMO, it's worth looking into.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
To answer the basic question.

Yes -- batteries should last longer.

Mine are about four years old and through the use of a recently installed Victron monitoring system I have determined they are at about 80-85% of original wattage capacity.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:36 AM   #11

If your batteries have been boiled dry that many times the battery is surely toast. You will need new batteries and once they are in you need to check what the charging voltage is. It should normally be around 13.5 volts. If it is above 14.5 something is wrong with your charger. Don’t leave the new batteries on charge with a voltage higher than 14.5 or they will boil dry as well.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery