Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2020, 03:22 PM   #1

Battery Monitoring System Recommendations.

I have two 6 volt batteries wired in series to create 12 volts. I am looking for a battery monitoring system that will allow me to monitor the batteries individually. Can anyone make a recommendation on a decent monitor? Thank you.
Fredk20716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2020, 05:40 PM   #2

Once you wire 2-6 volt batteries in series and only use them as a 6 cell, 12 volt battery, they become one.

You only need to monitor the pair as one 12 volt battery.

That's unless your tapping into the interconnecting jumper for 6 volts to power something.

Why would you want to monitor each battery ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The best way to check the health of each battery is to do a hydrometer check on every cell. You can also clip a multimeter on each batteries pos and neg terminal to get the voltage for that battery.

I really see no purpose in constant monitoring of each battery. The procedure above is what I do to check the health of my batteries a few times a year. That and adding distilled water when necessary.

Can the OP explain why they want to do this?
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #4

I agree with the above post. No need to monitor a pair in series assuming they are the same make, model, age, size, and type.

I have a high quality microprocessor 20 amp marine battery charger that would charge each battery separately. It would do that while the batteries are still wired in series and still under load. It would not display metrics on the two batteries.

You could use any good monitoring system set up for 12 volts. Add to it a $15 voltage monitor for each battery. The current through each battery individually will be identical since they are in series.

It is possible one could fail sooner than the other, but most likely the remaining one would be near failure as well.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #5

So many people want to wire gadgets to the batteries, which are not really needed unless you are a power hog. We boondock primarily using 360 Watts solar panels and a generator for backup. Through common sense practices (turn off lights...) and maintenance your batteries will give you years of use.

For the typical user I suggest a hydrometer battery tester. Two reasons; first you are getting the most accurate reading straight from the cells, secondly it requires you to inspect the batteries. If you are not looking at your cables and post regularly corrosion can build up. The corrosion dampens the batteries ability to conduct electricity.

Battery corrosion is bad. Click image for larger version

Name:	6283713_atc_ac108a7062059_pri_larg.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	290341
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #6

No way I know of to monitor individual batteries that are connected in series. To do so you would have to disconnect them and then attach a battery monitor to each individual battery. But why?
Just measure specific gravity of each cell with the tested posted above and be done with it.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, monitor