Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2020, 12:11 AM   #1

Battery Setup Advise (Series vs Parallel)

I have seen different layout on the internet and wanted to double check if my connection is correct. I have done the option 1 setup which works fine but not sure if I got the combined Ah.

Are both options the same which will give me 12v and combined Ah of 400?

Thanks!
webbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2020, 04:31 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbug View Post
I have seen different layout on the internet and wanted to double check if my connection is correct. I have done the option 1 setup which works fine but not sure if I got the combined Ah.

Are both options the same which will give me 12v and combined Ah of 400?

Thanks!
No both options are not the same. Series connection if you are using 6 volt batteries, parallel if you are using 12 volt batteries. In series you do not add the AH ratings of the batteries, but in parallel you do. 6 volt batteries of equivalent size have double the AH ratings, so you basically get the same AH ratings with either setup.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
No both options are not the same. Series connection if you are using 6 volt batteries, parallel if you are using 12 volt batteries. In series you do not add the AH ratings of the batteries, but in parallel you do. 6 volt batteries of equivalent size have double the AH ratings, so you basically get the same AH ratings with either setup.

I'm sorry but I got confused. you first said both options are not the same and later you said i will get the same AH ratings with either setup.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:22 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I'm sorry but I got confused. you first said both options are not the same and later you said i will get the same AH ratings with either setup.
Let me give you an example, let's say you have 2 12 volt batteries that are 100 AH each. Putting them in parallel will give you 200 AH at 12 volts. The same battery case size and weight as a 6 volt battery would have around 200 AH. Putting them in series will also give you 200 AH, since you do not add the capacity in series. You get 200 AH, but only at 6 volts. When you put two together you get that 200 AH at 12 volts.

So...they are roughly equivalent, but you don't add AH in series...
Old 07-28-2020, 05:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Let me give you an example, let's say you have 2 12 volt batteries that are 100 AH each. Putting them in parallel will give you 200 AH at 12 volts. The same battery case size and weight as a 6 volt battery would have around 200 AH. Putting them in series will also give you 200 AH, since you do not add the capacity in series. You get 200 AH, but only at 6 volts. When you put two together you get that 200 AH at 12 volts.

So...they are roughly equivalent, but you don't add AH in series...
I know that and that’s why both options are 6v batteries that I need to combine them to be 12v and need to double the Ah

For that to happen it should be set as series and parallel

I wanted to validate the 2 sketches above
Old 07-28-2020, 05:48 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I know that and that’s why both options are 6v batteries that I need to combine them to be 12v and need to double the Ah

For that to happen it should be set as series and parallel

I wanted to validate the 2 sketches above
First off, there are no sketches posted. Second, if you only have two batteries and they are 6 volt, you need to put them in series to get 12 volts and you will NOT get the sum of the AH rating...just physics...
Old 07-28-2020, 05:59 AM   #7

Don't hook them up yet

Until you post the sketches. If you hook two 12V. batteries up in series you will have a 24V. battery. Good bye to everything which hooks to battery power in your RV including the Inverter.
Your original post is too vague for anyone to offer any advice. We don't even know whether you have 6 or 12V. batteries.
Lynn
Old 07-28-2020, 06:07 AM   #8

Quote:
First off, there are no sketches posted. Second, if you only have two batteries and they are 6 volt, you need to put them in series to get 12 volts and you will NOT get the sum of the AH rating...just physics...
My bad I though it was uploaded. And I disagree with you, i will get the sum of Ah if the 6v batteries are connected in series and parallel with at least 4 batteries .. wait for my sketch
Old 07-28-2020, 06:08 AM   #9

I’m not considering 12v batteries at all. I’m using 6v
Old 07-28-2020, 06:10 AM   #10

Attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6F6644F7-4637-4AED-9D17-52168DD517A9.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	294872  
Old 07-28-2020, 06:12 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
My bad I though it was uploaded. And I disagree with you, i will get the sum of Ah if the 6v batteries are connected in series and parallel with at least 4 batteries .. wait for my sketch
I said TWO batteries. Now you say you have 4. If you have 4 6 volt batteries you first connect them in pairs and don't add the AH rating, then you hook the two pairs in parallel (since they are 12 volt batteries) and do sum the AH ratings, but not of 4, only of 2 pairs. So if you have 4 200 AH 6 volt batteries you will get a 12 volt bank with 400 AHs...but not 800 AH.

Frankly, there is no other way to hook up 4 6 volt batteries. Sure there are options as to where to place the cables...but series/parallel is the only way.

EDIT: Now that I have seen the sketches...they match my numbers exactly. They are pretty much equivalent but in BOTH cases I would move the lead labelled "trailer power" to the upper lug to match cables lengths and even the load as much as possible on all batteries/
Old 07-28-2020, 06:19 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
You sum the Volts if they are in series. You sum of AMPs if they are in parallel.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #13

And you use Search before posting because the topic has been discussed hundreds of times
Old 07-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
And you use Search before posting because the topic has been discussed hundreds of times
Thanks for you valuable input.

Show me a topic where it has the 2 setup configurations together

Tags
battery