Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
BC Motorhome Owners - non-ICBC Insurance Coverage

For those of you from British Columbia, who do you get your motorhome insurance from, other than the mandatory coverage from ICBC?

I pick up our new to us MH (2005 MADP) on Saturday and I'm finding huge differences in both cost and coverage for the optional (non-ICBC) coverage.
Ron_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the new to you MH.
We get our coverage from Family Insurance solutions. We get this through Hub Insurance brokers but I am sure other brokers deal with them as well. We used to go with BCAA but this was cheaper for the same coverage. Enjoy!!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, I'll check them out.

The folks at the RV dealership suggested Aviva. I had them quote on the non-manditory ICBC portion and it came to over $1700. My insurance agent also quoted the rate from CPlus and it came to over $1600. BCAA came in at $950 for about the same coverage.

I also got the numbers for the whole thing from ICBC, both for the monitory as well as collision, etc. Surprisingly ICBC simply does not have a policy for the non-manditory portion that covers a motorhome. What they do offer does not include coverage for furnishings and appliances, even those that came factory installed. If your MH burned to the ground they would pay for a replacement without any appliances, electronics like TVs and furniture. How stupid is that? They don't even have a rider policy to cover those things so you have no option but to use a third party insurer for full coverage.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:08 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Got or insurance thru Hub insurance in Chilliwack. They went thru Aviva. My last 3 units have been Insured also by Aviva and was happy with the coverage and the price.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I use Canadian Direct Insurance. We have our cars and house insured with them. No issues with claims so far. The MH was added as a rider to one of our cars.
randyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks all for the feedback.

I spent a good amount of time looking at non-manditory insurance options last week but as we were scheduled to pick up our motorhome Saturday morning, a final decision was vital.

Prices ranged considerably with several brokers and agents trying to push a plan that gave us new vehicle replacement if ours was totaled. Since we were buying a 9 year old coach, a new 2014 replacement did not sound like a finically viable option and rates of $3000 to $5000 proved that to be the case. I must admit that I don't understand why a policy like that is even offered on a 9 year old coach. I always thought insurance was to make you whole not enriched.

Anyway, rates for a declared value ranged considerably as did their coverage. We passed on one policy that left may unanswered questions, even though their rate was good and ended up going with coverage through BCAA. There rate was competitive and they proved to be the most convenient in the allowable time. We'll look at more options next year when we have more time.

Tags
insurance, motorhome